PDA

View Full Version : Need help selecting a box

amar786
25-11-12, 18:13
Hi

I am looking for a new box for a friend. I have a Vu Uno which I am happy with. When I got my Uno it was very close between the Vu Solo, Uno and the GigisBlue. I went for the Uno because the GigaBlue did not have the VIX image at the time and the Uno has the possibility turning it into a twin tuner.

The key important things for me are:

* VIX image,
* Fast channel changing / navigating menu,
* Reliable and stable,
* Good remote (personally I like the Vu remote),
* CCam support,
* Recording to external HDD

The three I am considering are the GigaBlue and the Uno again but I have also seen the MaxDigital XP1000 which has good spec. What woudl you guys recommend? Is it worth spending the extra £100 on the Uno (would you see a difference in speed changing channels / menu)?

Would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. Are the GigaBlue and MaxDigital worth considering? Or another other boxes?

Many thanks

Mr. Mister
25-11-12, 19:27
You can not compare the Uno with the other 2..

The Uno is so much faster than the other 2..

Gigablue and Max Digital are budget receivers.. Where as the Uno is Vu`s Top Spec single tuner box at the moment..

If you can afford the price of the Uno.. The i would take that..

If your on a budget.. then the Gigablue or the Max Digital will do the job..

amar786
25-11-12, 19:32
Thanks Mr. Ok, maybe not a good idea to compare with Uno. Maybe its better to compare with the Solo? On there own are they good units? Is the speed difference noticeable in normal everyday use (channel changing etc)?

Mr. Mister
25-11-12, 19:36
Thanks Mr. Ok, maybe not a good idea to compare with Uno. Maybe its better to compare with the Solo? On there own are they good units? Is the speed difference noticeable in normal everyday use (channel changing etc)?

The solo maybe just a little faster than the other 2.. but not enough for it to make a difference..

You would not be disappointed with any of the 3..

amar786
25-11-12, 19:40
The solo maybe just a little faster than the other 2.. but not enough for it to make a difference..

You would not be disappointed with any of the 3..

Cheers, how are the remotes on the GigaBlue and MD? I read the MD is not so good, it needs to be pointed directly at the receiver to work? Does the recording work ok with them all?

Stanman
25-11-12, 19:49
presumably when your watchingTV your gonna be looking at the TV, so why overly be concerned with the remote?

From the pc I have seen the XP remote looks very nice:thumbsup:

Mr. Mister
25-11-12, 19:52
The MD remote looks really really good.. Although it is very directional.. You do have to point it at the box for it to work properly..

The Gigablue remote is excellent.. It even works if you have the remote pointed in a different direction of the box..

Recording works perfect on both of them..

amar786
25-11-12, 20:32
presumably when your watchingTV your gonna be looking at the TV, so why overly be concerned with the remote?

From the pc I have seen the XP remote looks very nice:thumbsup:

The concern about the remote is due to a few people saying that the XP remote is very directional (see Mr comments below). The Uno's remote for example is brilliant, it could be pointing in the opposite direction but it still works. You are right it does looks very nice in the pic :cool:

cactikid
26-11-12, 00:21
would consider the solo now an old box like the duo getting phased out to be replaced with new stock next month,did i not hear the max had better spec than the solo,hmm tv and box be in different places:confused::D

Larry-G
26-11-12, 01:05
personally i would avoid the solo it's getting way too long in the tooth, look towards the maxdigital xp1000, xtrend 4000, gigablue 800 UE, or even the Vu+ uno as that can soon be converted to a dual tuner receiver when Vu release their plug in dual tuner cards, basically turning it into a duo with a hell of a lot more raw grunt.

judge
26-11-12, 01:12
personally i would avoid the solo it's getting way too long in the tooth, look towards the maxdigital xp1000, xtrend 4000

I still prefer my solo over the xtrend 4000, just a personal choice...

Larry-G
26-11-12, 01:16
I still prefer my solo over the xtrend 4000, just a personal choice...

awkward git.

judge
26-11-12, 01:25
awkward git.

yeah, a ****er for remotes & speed... just don't see any difference in functions & love the feel of a VU remote.
It's older hardware but functions the same way & at same speed, so to me, my preferred single tuner box.

Larry-G
26-11-12, 01:30
to be honest i cant really dismiss the solo that much as i have never used one, my opinions are primarily based on the other Vu receivers i currently own ( duo, duo le, uno and ultimo ) the fact that this box is now getting on a bit and with new manufacturers always cropping up why not take the chance ?. after all every box we support will have the maximum level of support that we can give.

judge
26-11-12, 01:36
TM could knock my preferred single tuner box off pretty soon, but still sticking with the solo till that happens...