PDA

View Full Version : upgrading second stage

Comfysofa
24-11-12, 18:16
Wondered if someone can give some help regarding the upgrade of the second stage.....i put the ipk in the tmp area but the the error...

* ERROR: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for dreambox-secondstage:
* mtd-utils-flash-erase * mtd-utils-nandwrite *

something to do with mtd utils - never heard of that before....i google and keep finding this phrase regarding this but not sure what to do with the command....

-add mtd-utils-flasherase and mtd-utils-nandwrite to rdepends

if i stick that into a telnet session it does nothing.....

Thats the fun of the dreambox - always a black art....i did update the second stage ages ago - cant remember how i did it but i take it its only a software update - youre not writing firmware to any hardware....

Anyway - appreciate the help as i think without this i cant run any of the newer images...

cheers to whoever does chip in...

Comfy

Donnie
24-11-12, 19:32
If you have an original DM800 then you upgrade the SSto 84 via your browser, do it exactly the same way you would flash and image.

Comfysofa
24-11-12, 19:59
Yup. Its an original....so is that using the ipk file....?

Comfysofa
24-11-12, 20:10
Little stuck - never done it that way before - ive always used barry allen to flash images - never done it this way.... can you give me a coupleo of pointers?

Cheers for the help so far....ill keep on googleing in the meantime to see if i can find the answer....

basilyoung
24-11-12, 20:34
turn off the unit, restart it but hold the on button, this will stop the unit booting, and the unit will display its network address

use firefox ( webbrowser ) and input the ip addy of the unit

you will get a page come up, look for image upgrade or simular ( not done this for a while ) click on it

a new page will appear, find the update image ( nfi file ) select it, and the unit should then update

remember to back up any config files ( cccam for example ) before doing the the above

Comfysofa
24-11-12, 20:39
Ah - i remember this - did this literally years ago.....tried it - gives me an error

INVALID IMAGE (OR OLD VERSION)

tried renaming the nfi to - img = same thing....unless ive got the wrong file - ive got an older dm800 - the one with the dvi output.....dont need to back anything up - starting from scratch again...clean sheet and all that.....

scruff1963
24-11-12, 20:54
it looks like your trying to flash the image which will say that if it has a different ssl.
the ssl will be a lot smaller than an image and shouldn't give that error.
phoenix has posted one here
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?18001-Latest-Secondstage-Bootloader-For-DM800-opendreambox-2-0-0

Comfysofa
24-11-12, 20:58
ill try that - thanks for the link - the one i had was an "r11" image....

Comfysofa
24-11-12, 20:59
nah.....does the same thing - gives me the error....

just to add - going to that link its got that line in there

add mtd-utils-flasherase and mtd-utils-nandwrite to rdepends

what is that???

basilyoung
24-11-12, 21:40
http://dreamboxupdate.com/

have a look at the link, also I think you might need to use the latest dreamup/null modem

Comfysofa
24-11-12, 21:51
yeah - i might have done it - i found that link just now - flashed the image .......went back to the flashing page.....it says at the top

DM800 second stage loader #84 (2011-09-02)

so i guess ive done it.....now just a bit of tuition here.....nothing is actually flashed to and hardware on the board just software patching....so, assuming my second stage is done - then i can reflash barry allen - and then install an oe20 image using barry allen....is that right??

just to add - whats the point in flashing software to go an dump it (ie barry allen boots and then boots an image from the hd) seems a bit odd....

Comfysofa
24-11-12, 21:57
just telnetted in.....thats all changed.....how do i telnet in and reinstall barry allen....looks like ive got a kind of bios view now....

basilyoung
24-11-12, 22:00
yeah - i might have done it - i found that link just now - flashed the image .......went back to the flashing page.....it says at the top

DM800 second stage loader #84 (2011-09-02)

so i guess ive done it.....now just a bit of tuition here.....nothing is actually flashed to and hardware on the board just software patching....so, assuming my second stage is done - then i can reflash barry allen - and then install an oe20 image using barry allen....is that right??

just to add - whats the point in flashing software to go an dump it (ie barry allen boots and then boots an image from the hd) seems a bit odd....,

BA lives in the flash image, with a simple image, and then uses secondary images, this is mainly due to the limitations of the 7000

I never really botherd with BA, and as a rule, used Nemisis, I take it, you use blackhole and the like via BA but as surgested earlier by stanman, PLi images might be best for you

Comfysofa
24-11-12, 22:07
well, ive always used barry allen as it means i can play around with different images....see which ones work best etc etc.....but, more to the point tell me about nemisis - ive never heard of that before - what does it do, where do i download it - is it the same sort of thing as barry allen..?

To be honest ive never really had great luck with sat boxes - i kinda get stuff working by hit or miss, kind of a glorious waste of time. Im not very good with linux stuff but force myself to use ubuntu, dreamboxes etc etc so ive got no choice but to learn...heh.

Previous post....weird telnet stuff - thats cos i left it in bootloader mode....

scruff1963
24-11-12, 22:23
I have never used barry allen it doesn't work well with pli based images which are what I prefer.
I have a dm800se with the latest pli and a tmtwin with the latest vix image.
nemesis is an image like blackhole, openpli etc though I must admit I have never tried it.

Comfysofa
24-11-12, 22:26
so you run a single image out of flash - doesnt it fill up?

currently trying to install barry allen but it wont go on - says it cant find the file - is that because the base flash is now oe2.0 - im guessing i need a newer version of barry allen....ive got 7.0.9

basilyoung
24-11-12, 22:43
http://www.oozoon.de/category/tools/

ozoon used to be the base image of chioce for barry allen, but they appear to no longer surport the 7000

but try a search on google

Comfysofa
24-11-12, 23:10
Its ok - im there - booted into the flash image and then went to manage extensions scanned the disk ( its never done that before! ) must be something new but, needless to say it worked, who knew! - barry allen installed (version 8) and its found all my previous images but i think i can only use oe20 images now but that doesnt matter, im there....many thanks for this evenings help - ive been at this in a round a bout way most of the day but as i said its a glorious waste of time!! ill get a tv channel scanned in soon if im lucky!

scruff1963
25-11-12, 00:22
I have had a look at barry allen but can't see what it does other than transfer the image files to the hdd.
I play with images but they take a couple of minutes to flash.

Don't understand your question on flash space as I have never run out of space on my 800se but then I don't normally add much.
Must admit I am going to install barry allen now just to see what i'm missing, it comes with something called wally west not surw what that is either, will translate from german tomorrow when sober :)

as a side note shame about hatton :(

Comfysofa
25-11-12, 08:41
Not into boxing, football, grass sports etc etc.....so i take it he lost....bikes for me....TT being the highpoint - go over once a year - the only time where you can find the top end of whatever your riding legally (strange doing 130 trying to get past a police x5 without gettting knicked!)

Asked about the flash filling up as ( this is ancient history for me - years ago when i had a 7000 i could never understand why id install and image ) mess around, install plugins etc etc and then i get to a point where it would error....found out that there was obviously a finite amount of flash space, then found Barry allen....no limits on flash space (as the hard drive becomes the flash memory area - or usb) meaning you can keep a fully configured (or as best configured as i can) and then try other images out - once the nfi is ftp'd over to the holding area which barry allen looks at you can do the rest from the remote - perfect.

This time once id got the oe20 image installed, then installed barry allen, it found all the images that id previously installed and i could boot back in to them. To be honest its the main reason i stick to Dreamboxes - theyre the only ones that i know where this can be done (i do have a VU+ duo thats in the front room pointed to 28.2 but that rarely gets messed with. Dreamboxes for me are furiously expensive but, you do get the longevity out of them, id love a 7020hd but back to point A (bloody expensive)

Wandering off point now but ill say that the thing i tend to have the most problems is, is installation of cam's and working out where keys go etc etc.....as i said right at the start ill just randomly mess around loose count of how many things ive tried and then for whatever reason i get something decoding, cant remember what i did and then just run with that until it stops....well scientific...cheers for the help anyway - again....