PDA

View Full Version : Gigablue HD Quad won't start

langkasuka
23-11-12, 06:45
When I power up the box only the red LED illuminates.

It stays and hangs there without booting.

I really need help to troubleshoot the cause.

Sicilian
23-11-12, 06:49
Explain what you've done. What have you flashed it with? Or was it like if from new?

langkasuka
23-11-12, 06:54
The box just arrived this morning.

Here is the chronology of events:

1. Hook up power cable, CAT5 cable, RG6 connector.
2. Power up the box
3. Booting seems to look normal.
4. Configure the language, timezone and network. DHCP turned to off as I am using fix IP which is 192.168.1.5
5. Reboot the box.
6. Stuck here after reboot with the blue LED illuminates.
7. After a long wait, I powered off the box and powered up again.
8. From here it stuck with the red LED illuminates.

Tuners not yet configured.

Sicilian
23-11-12, 06:58
Disconnect your Ethernet and try again.

langkasuka
23-11-12, 07:06
nothing happens

By the way I have edited the chronology of events. I missed out something.

langkasuka
23-11-12, 07:09
updates:

I just let the box power up with red LED. After about 5 minutes the "openmips boot image" appears with the blues LED illuminates.

Now am waiting for the box to boot.

I wonder why does it take so long to boot?

Will update again later.

Sicilian
23-11-12, 07:16
I think you may need to re-flash the unit.

langkasuka
23-11-12, 08:20
I could not even flash the unit as it stuck.

Red LED on, nothing appears on the LCD screen and on the tv.

marty
23-11-12, 08:33
Disconect EVERYTHING, wait a few minates then connect ONLY the TV and power and try again.

langkasuka
23-11-12, 08:49
Disconect EVERYTHING, wait a few minates then connect ONLY the TV and power and try again.

Same thing happens. Stuck with red LED

marty
23-11-12, 09:24
I know it's not a Gigablue but have a read of this ;)

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?22987-My-VU-DUO-died-after-VIX-bootloader&highlight=red+light

I'm guessing the method would be the same (but don't use VU files ;) )

If I were you I would return it (or contact Gigablue themselves)

http://www.gigablue.de/index.php?option=com_dfcontact&Itemid=66&lang=en

langkasuka
23-11-12, 09:33
I'm powering down the box now. Let it sleep for a few minutes.

Will try to power up again with only power cable & HDMI cable hooked up. Let's see what is going to happen :)

marty
23-11-12, 09:35
I'm powering down the box now. Let it sleep for a few minutes.

Will try to power up again with only power cable & HDMI cable hooked up. Let's see what is going to happen :)

Don't forget to disconect the power cable too :)

marty
23-11-12, 09:35
Have you got an internal hard drive fitted?

langkasuka
23-11-12, 09:36
Have you got an internal hard drive fitted?
nope... it is fresh from the box

langkasuka
23-11-12, 09:42
I tried to flash the box using a USB stick formatted to FAT32 using HP drivekey. Fails

The unit seems does not recognize the USB stick.

I tried on all 3 USB ports.

marty
23-11-12, 09:45
Contact Gigablue :)

langkasuka
23-11-12, 10:13
Contact Gigablue :)

email sent... waiting for them to reply

Is there any other way that I can try?

How about flash the unit using rs232?

marty
23-11-12, 10:20
How about flash the unit using rs232?

It would be worth a try if you can locate the correct files to flash it with.

langkasuka
23-11-12, 11:45
It would be worth a try if you can locate the correct files to flash it with.

The only problem with using rs232 is, I am afraid getting my box burnt.

Got experienced on my DM800HD because I wasn't sure which one to use. Null modem cable or straight RS232 cable.

marty
23-11-12, 11:49
If I were you I would wait for a response from Gigablue, while you wait also contact the seller :thumbsup:

langkasuka
23-11-12, 11:51
If I were you I would wait for a response from Gigablue, while you wait also contact the seller :thumbsup:

Yes.. done that

still waiting :cool:

I just can't wait and do nothing :p

langkasuka
23-11-12, 14:26
Got replies from the seller.

They advise me to reinstall bootloader and new image.

Not much help from them.

Maybe I need to send the box back to them.

khan888
23-11-12, 16:08
Disconnect the hdmi cable from the box and power up, it should illuminate blue after a few minutes then plug the cable back in. Also make sure you have no USB dongle connected to the box.

Alec
23-11-12, 16:46
I should try another USB with latest Image, because they are very fussy. These boxes are enough to make the Pope give up religion. I updated software this morning, I think it it was 433. After reboot it loaded up and nothing would respond to the remote, I had to switch off at the back, and reflash and restore

khan888
23-11-12, 19:15
It's usually a corrupt usb or if your using any splitters i.e hdmi or Ethernet these can cause the box not to boot

langkasuka
24-11-12, 00:57
Disconnect the hdmi cable from the box and power up, it should illuminate blue after a few minutes then plug the cable back in. Also make sure you have no USB dongle connected to the box.
Tried this also. Still stuck with red LED.

langkasuka
24-11-12, 01:00
I should try another USB with latest Image, because they are very fussy. These boxes are enough to make the Pope give up religion. I updated software this morning, I think it it was 433. After reboot it loaded up and nothing would respond to the remote, I had to switch off at the back, and reflash and restore
A total of 5 USB stick I used to flash the box.

All have been formatted to FAT32.

1. 1 x 1GB
2. 2 x 8GB
3. 1 x 16GB
4. 1 x 32GB

I am going to try again today.

langkasuka
24-11-12, 01:04
It's usually a corrupt usb or if your using any splitters i.e hdmi or Ethernet these can cause the box not to boot
No splitters have been used. Ethernet cable coming directly from the router.

Not sure whether my USB stick corrupted or not. I use them everyday. I don't think they are corrupted. :)

Let me try again today and lets see what will happen ;)

allanapp
18-11-13, 00:25
Hi just seen this thread.

I have the exact same problem with my new Gigablue Quad. It's just one week old, worked fine on OpenVIX 789 for a couple of days then just suddenly developed same as this thread - red LED, nothing displays on the front panel or tv.

Disconnected all cables then reconnected just power and HDMI. Tried flashing using an assortment of USB sticks formatted to FAT32 with HP USB formatter.

Could you tell me how you resolved the problem on your Quad

Cheers

A

stanley1
18-11-13, 11:25
open up box and reseat all tuners, use a kingston usb stick if you can, format stick with right click option, ie don't use hp program.

HTH

allanapp
18-11-13, 20:58
Tuners 1 and 2 are integral to the motherboard, not push in ones so can't reseat them. Done various permutations of formatting, right click through windows format, used HP formatter, used 5 different kingston usb sticks plus a few others. Just won't get past the red LED stage of bootup!!

I'd really like to know how langkasuka who started this thread sorted the exact same problem with his Quad.

Cheers

A

allanapp
16-12-13, 19:33
OK well time to put some closure on this thread and bring readers up to date with my experience of owning a Gigablue Quad.

Clearly from the beginning of this thread you'll know I had problems even booting the Quad and just had the red LED showing on the front panel. I'd had it for just a few days at that time.

I was asked to return the Quad directly to Gigablue in Germany which was probably the easiest thing to do due to my location rather than returning it back to WoS who would in turn have to send it on to Germany. It cost me 30.25 Euros postage to return so I enclosed the receipt and a letter in the package explaining the problems experienced and also stating clearly that I as it was so new did not want the box repaired, I wanted a new replacement. Also suggested that rather than refund my postage costs I would be happy for them to fit 2 DVB-S cards in the new box which would probably be more cost effective for them as they manufacture/buy wholesale the cards.

I tried on several occasions to communicate directly with Onur Oden at Gigablue asking if they had received the box and got no reply. Eventually got a reply when Stef at WoS contacted him asking if they had received the package.

Stef also asked him in another email to confirm that I would receive a new replacement and not my original one repaired. Still to date I had no response to that from him.

Some 3 weeks after I had sent my Quad to Germany I received a package from them. Guess what was inside? Yep - my original Quad with a piece of paper saying MOTHERBOARD. Nothing else, no explanation, no apology for faulty box. Oh and no DVB-S cards or refund of postage costs!!

So all in all I'm pretty disappointed with the level of customer support from Gigablue and the total disregard for the inconvenience and additional cost their faulty product caused me. I don't even know if the motherboard was a new one or one that was repaired from a previous failure. I know it's a different board because I put a couple of discreet marks on the original that are only seen under ultra violet light!!

I've emailed WoS a week ago in the hope that they will pursue the issue of refunding my postage costs of 30.25 Euros and await their reply.

The Quad is set up working fine now. It's just the bad taste of a poor experience with Gigablue that remains, so just be aware that if you buy a Gigablue product and it goes faulty don't expect much in the way of support or customer care from them.

Sour grapes?? You bet!!

Thanks for reading my rambling and hopefully ending the thread in this fashion is acceptable. If not then my apologies and please move it to the appropriate thread.

world-of-satellite.co.uk
17-12-13, 05:51
@ Allanapp, due to the issues you have experienced we are going to cover your shipping costs to Germany at our expense. Please check your PM, we need some details from you.

stanley1
17-12-13, 11:17
Fair play to WOS, great service.

Mr. Mister
17-12-13, 11:23
Brilliant gesture WOS..

That shows what a top notch service WOS provides..

Emulated
17-12-13, 14:29
I always believe it is better to return the receiver to the supplier. If it is something they can fix it saves loads of time and money and they have more clout with the makers. Also may suppliers will simply replace a box under early if they are unable to fix it to ensure good customer relations.

world-of-satellite.co.uk
17-12-13, 14:33
I always believe it is better to return the receiver to the supplier. If it is something they can fix it saves loads of time and money and they have more clout with the makers. Also may suppliers will simply replace a box under early if they are unable to fix it to ensure good customer relations.

Allanp's case was a bit more complicated than that due to his location, shipping time's/costs etc...

allanapp
17-12-13, 16:13
Really appreciate the kind gesture by WoS and have suggested that rather than receive the refund myself I'd like it donated to support VIX and also Stef's marathon run.

Larry-G
17-12-13, 16:20
Really appreciate the kind gesture by WoS and have suggested that rather than receive the refund myself I'd like it donated to support VIX and also Stef's marathon run.

Very kind of you and im sure stef will greatly appreciate your charitable donation towards a very good cause.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

world-of-satellite.co.uk
17-12-13, 16:37
Thank you Allanapp, both donation's made :thumbsup:

gemelli47
26-11-19, 10:20
Hi
I solved as follows:
-Did a factory reset, at the end I did NOT start any setting.
-Shut off the box by rear switch
-Flashed fresh by USB
I used image OpenHDF, but guess success with any other image.
Pleased to get any feedback

gemelli47
29-11-19, 18:45
I also had to uninstall plugin Satvenus Panel.

Joe_90
02-12-19, 14:06
Hey @gemelli47 - you do realise this thread is 6 years old?