PDA

View Full Version : Best HD receiver for me

alihaq
22-11-12, 12:54
Hi Guys (and gals)

I would very much appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction for a receiver which best matches my needs. I'm a complete noob to this so please bear with me..:confused:

My budget is £200 max. I am being drawn to the Alien 2 at present due to the price and features available.

What I'm really after is

HD
Twin tuners
Stream content from NAS or PC (DLNA or Shared folder)
Stream content from BBC iPlayer, 4OD etc

Please can you advise which would be the best box for me?

Thanks in advance!:D

Mr. Mister
22-11-12, 13:02
If you budget is £200 then you have no other option but to go for the Alien..

Me personally.. I would not touch it.. But there are others who do like this box..

If it were me.. i would save my pennys for another few weeks.. and get myself a Technomate Twin.. or a Vu+ Duo..

alihaq
22-11-12, 14:55
Thanks for the quick response mate.

Why would you not go for the Alien 2 box?

Has anyone got an Alien 2 box that can share some insights?

Stanman
22-11-12, 22:22
Its not a proper E2 box though from the net, the sparks side works fine and its no way near as versatile as a proper E2 box such as DUO, TM Twin or Gigablue quad

marty
22-11-12, 22:26
Why not look out for a used DUO, I'm guessing that there will be a few on the market with people upgrading to newer boxes ;)
The DUO is still a VERY capable box with years left in it :thumbsup:

Sicilian
23-11-12, 06:35
Or the Technomate TM-Twin-OE, pm the sponsor see what deal he can offer ;)

irishchris
23-11-12, 11:20
i would second the twin. it had few problems in its early days but now its one of my most reliable recievers and comes in at a good price too :)
ps dont forget the members discount on wos :thumbsup:

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using tapatalk 2

josh_g
23-11-12, 16:26
i have a TM-twin and had a right mare in deciding between that and the Duo but i am so happy with my Twin i havnt looked back.. well worth the extra money over the alian

Stanman
24-11-12, 15:24
Twin and Alien aren't even on the same planet mate.

I don't have one but from following the beta testers experience, its one very nice box:thumbsup:

alihaq
24-11-12, 16:10
Thanks for all your help guys!

Ok, the consensus seems to be the Duo or the TM Twin.

Do these boxes allow me to install web apps like BBC iPlayer or 4OD?

From what I've found they both seem to allow streaming of content from my PC via DLNA or shared folder NAS

If I could watch iPlayer as well as stream content from my PC as well as watch satellite channels that really would be the perfect box!! :) and definitely worth the extra money instead of the Alien!

judge
24-11-12, 16:25
Neither does iPlayer or 4OD, all the rest you mention is easily done though.

alihaq
25-11-12, 00:07
Would of been nice if one of these receivers ticked all the boxes. Was looking at the GB HD800 UE now that the Alien 2 has been chucked out and doesn't even appear on the sponsors website!!

Any opinions on the GB HD800 UE Combo?

Also how do I get a discount on the sponsors website?;)

Sicilian
25-11-12, 06:56
Any opinions on the GB HD800 UE Combo?

Also how do I get a discount on the sponsors website?;)

Your original posts says you want a twin tuner. The HD800UE is a combo, so only one tuner at a time can be used. If you want a twin tuner look at the TM-Twin-OE, currently £269, with members discount will be £264. For discount pm sponsor here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/member.php?1447-world-of-satellite-co-uk click 'send a private message'.