PDA

View Full Version : Line out to another TV

steve14
22-11-12, 12:45
Hi,
I have a gigablue HD 800 SE. I have it sat in my front room, but I want to able to watch it in my computer room upstairs. I had a satellite cable run from the gigablue to my computer room upstairs. Can I just plug the cable into the TV, tune it in and it will work? Or do I need to do something else?

Sorry for the noob question, but I'm just not sure.

mcquaim
22-11-12, 13:39
What is the setup of your HD 800 SE, single S2 tuner or S2 and DVB-T tuners?

Also, what did you connect the cable you ran upstairs to on the back of the Gigablue?

steve14
22-11-12, 14:13
It is a single tuner.

It's just a standard flat screen TV... I haven't tried connecting it yet... I just wanted to know if it was possible to do so.

mcquaim
22-11-12, 14:41
If you only have a standard flat screen TV that doesn't have a satellite tuner and you only have a single satellite tuner on your HD 800 SE then running a cable won't be any use to you.

I'm not fully familiar with the gigablue but if it has an RF out jack on the back then you can send this up to your tv but you will only be able to watch upstairs what you are watching downstairs.

The best bet for you is to use the web interface of the gigablue and watch TV on a computer upstairs. You will still be slightly limited to what you will be able to watch as it is only a single tuner satellite receiver but it will give you a bit more options than the other options..

steve14
22-11-12, 14:54
Hi Mcquaim,
I only want to watch what is on the TV downstairs, I don't need to change the channel... the wife has her own separate Sky box to watch Coronation street on.

The gigablue has an RF out jack on it, so it should do everything I need.

Thanks very much for the help :)

mcquaim
22-11-12, 14:59
Well, if the gigablue will not be in use downstairs when you want to watch upstairs then you could always get yourself one of these too and then you could flick away...

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Cables-Leads-Accessories/Technomate-TM-IR-Infrared-Remote-Extender-Sender

Rob van der Does
22-11-12, 15:00
Be aware that RF-out give a very bad PQ.

mcquaim
22-11-12, 15:03
also look into the idea of the web interface, it is really handly for viewing the receiver in another room.

Simply type the ip address of the gigablue into FireFox or IE and it will open the web interface. If you click the small TV icon beside any of the channels then it wil stream that channel for you on your pc. You will need to install VLC media player to best get this working..

Just another option for you!

steve14
22-11-12, 15:15
Is they any way to improve the picture quality Rob?

steve14
22-11-12, 15:17
I'm usually playing on the computer so I want to watch footy as I'm playing games. So can't really watch it on the computer, but it could come in handy for changing the channel.

mcquaim
22-11-12, 15:22

No, afraid you can improve it. It is because you are broadcasting the signal across aerial cable so it is of SD quality or probably less.. Better than nothing though I guess!

Larry-G
22-11-12, 15:30
Hi Mcquaim,
I only want to watch what is on the TV downstairs, I don't need to change the channel... the wife has her own separate Sky box to watch Coronation street on.

The gigablue has an RF out jack on it, so it should do everything I need.

Thanks very much for the help :)

Thats not how it works as far as i am aware, The DVB-C/T combo card on this receiver can not be used at the same time as the satellite tuner so there is no way you can use the RF out to distribute satellite channels to another TV using it.

I'm very possibly wrong but thats how i understand how this receiver works.

dwarf
22-11-12, 15:32
Could you not stick a 2nd graphics card in your pc. Run the flat screen tv as a 2nd monitor and use the web interface to watch tv and still play your game?

I said could you as this will depend on the spec of your pc.

steve14
22-11-12, 15:37
I have an i5 2500k with a ATI 6970 GPU... so I think it would be adequate... but if Pheonix is correct, which he probably is I don't think this is going to work.

dwarf
22-11-12, 15:43
I think it will as your not using the rf out your streaming from the box to a pc using your internal lan.

Larry-G
22-11-12, 15:47
please dont give up on my say so as i say i could possibly be wrong.

if you use the Web Interface to stream the channels directly via lan you should be fine it's when trying to use RF out to stream the satellite feed that you may run into trouble but again i could be very wrong on that one as i dont have one of these receivers to test my theory.

steve14
22-11-12, 15:47
Good point... I will try tonight... thanks for all the help guys.

steve14
22-11-12, 15:49
OK I will give both a try and report back

Rob van der Does
22-11-12, 16:26
Not for RF: it uses CVBS, which is the lowest possible quality.
I really would suggest to use a LAN-connection and a (cheap) STB.

steve14
04-01-13, 11:43
Update. I used the LAN connection and VLC to watch the footy. It works well. I didn't bother trying the Coax since this is working well. I have a graphics card that can do dual monitors so there is no need for a second GFX card. The game I play (Wow) does not put a hefty strain on the graphics card (more on the CPU) so it's no problem. If you were to play a game like Cyrsis I don't know how it would work out.