PDA

View Full Version : Is it better if my IP address on my box is a static IP

Alanp
15-09-10, 20:39
Is it better if my IP address on my box is a static IP I have a netgear router does anyone know how to do this Thanks

daz500
15-09-10, 20:51
If you don't know much about networking then leave it as it is. For me as a rule, any static device like a network printer, switch or dreambox is set to fixed IP address and anything else is dynamic. There is a network setting in the menu on your vu+ box.

sonc
15-09-10, 22:09
@Alanp, based on what I did on my Netgear router, this is what you do (hopefully its the same):

1) login to the router admin screen using a browser, and the IP address of your router
2) in the left hand column, choose "LAN IP Setup"
3) in the centre part of the screen is "Address Reservation", cliick on Add
4) that will show you a list of currently connected devices
5) select the device(s) you want, and click Add again

That's more or less it. It will then always be alocated the same IP address as it currently has.

pooface
15-09-10, 22:18
Yeah, did that on my netgear too sonc... Much better to allocate a reserved ip through the router if possible, as it will then always gets this ip address, even when you first set the box up... (always useful to then change the ip address outside of the allocated dhcp ;))

Mr.McGee
15-09-10, 23:24
On my router, I set my dynamic IPs from 192.168.1.100 and anything that needs to be static IP gets one from below that.

satmanbasil
15-09-10, 23:28
Hi mate

I always assign my stb's a static ip address it makes it more easy when you wanna FTP or telnet

regards
satmanbasil

xarqi
16-09-10, 00:34
If you want other devices to be able to access the box reliably, whether on your LAN or from the internet, you should use a static IP. If not, it doesn't matter.
If it will only ever be the box that initiates communication, it doesn't matter.

grtmoby
16-09-10, 01:39
think u'd need to ftp, telnet....etc but the most important to me is using webinterface. it is so dump the need to go all the way finding the ip the box is having this particular moment so u can connect (especially if u r away like in a next room or something).

make the ip static m8 ;)

Alanp
16-09-10, 13:02
Thanks guys will try it out later