PDA

View Full Version : Harmony RC

satnav
19-11-12, 12:09
Its been suggested to me that I try a Logitech Harmony RC but there are so many! Where can I get an opinion on the various Harmony RC please?

Larry-G
19-11-12, 12:22
ideally you dont want any thing less than a harmony 600. i my self use both a 600 and a 650 and they work great.

you can normally buy blemished box units for considerably cheaper than normal from logitech directly but a present they dont have the 600 or 650 listed under the blemished box status

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/special-offers/blemished-box

basilyoung
19-11-12, 13:10
I have the 900 ( bought on this forum 2nd hand ) and although this model is a bit over the top, I find them them easy to get on with

Rob van der Does
19-11-12, 13:39
It's just what your demands are. Most are fine, as long as the modelnumber is 600 or above, but don't buy the 'One' or the 'Touch'.
Once accustomed to the use of 'activities' instead of talking to devices, you won't understand you could ever do without one.

Stanman
19-11-12, 19:33
I have the 515 and 885 and both work fine.

One thing against the 885 is the buttons become worn and you lose contact and only way to fix it is to use expanding glue and for that reason would avoid.

alba1978
19-11-12, 21:33
I use a 650 and it is brilliant.look in ebay as i had mine boxed as new for £30

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

tonyvix
19-11-12, 22:22
I have a One Plus. Would not be without it. Controls amp, Vu duo, Dreambox, Blu-ray, Sly box, TV, Ipod, 2 x lamps. It would probably make your dinner and take you to the pub if you spent long enough with it. If it could do my washing I could dispose of the wife !!!:rolleyes:

Rob van der Does
20-11-12, 04:54
The 515, 525, 858 are old models (but might be available somewhere?).
The 'One Plus' is unknown to me; the 'One' lacks the colour-buttons and makes it unsuitable for our STB's (the 'soft'-colour buttons are no real alternative).
The fairly new 'Touch' is a very special one; make sure yo can return it if it doesn't suit your needs.

satnav
20-11-12, 10:59
So I am assuming the 1000 & 1100 versions would not be ideal then!:eek:

Rob van der Does
20-11-12, 11:13
So I am assuming the 1000 & 1100 versions would not be ideal then!:eek:
Correct, good that you mention that.
The 1000 is an old experiment that didn't work out well (huge firmware problems); the 1100 in itself does work, but:
1- you need 2 hands to operate it, and
2- it has hardly any hard-buttons. That mean that you're constantly scrolling the LCD-pages, looking for you soft-buttons.

satnav
20-11-12, 15:32
I have ordered a Harmony 650 so thanks guys.:cool:

bazzar1206
25-11-12, 13:06
the 'One' lacks the colour-buttons and makes it unsuitable for our STB's (the 'soft'-colour buttons are no real alternative).

Ive got the One and getting along with the colours on the screen just fine, even the wife can use it without moaning - now that's my real seal of approval!

Rob van der Does
25-11-12, 13:07
Ive got the One and getting along with the colours on the screen just fine, even the wife can use it without moaning - now that's my real seal of approval!
So you have the colour buttons on every page?

bazzar1206
26-11-12, 12:45
So you have the colour buttons on every page?

Only got the one Page. Each Page has 6 spaces. Four for the colours and one each for tv and sat box power. All the other buttons are covered by the real buttons. It's all about setting it up right.

Rob van der Does
26-11-12, 12:58
Only got the one Page. Each Page has 6 spaces. Four for the colours and one each for tv and sat box power. All the other buttons are covered by the real buttons. It's all about setting it up right.
Hehe, no need telling me about setting up and using a Harmony.
The problem with the One is: either you have the colour buttons on only one page (and as our STB's are largely controlled by them you have to browse to that page all the time), or you have them on all pages (end then having only 2 buttons left per page).
And no: not all other functions can be covered by the hard-buttons: what about TV/Radio/Subtitles/Audio/List/Help and the volume-Up/Down/Mute (as they have also a function in Teletext).
That are already 9 buttons that can only be soft-buttons.

bazzar1206
26-11-12, 13:06
The bottom right button of the remote (whatever that is) is the list button. The volume buttons on the remote control my amp which also has DAB connected to it. I can honestly say, I've never used the rest. It's all about what setup you've got and how you work it. I think I haven't used telexted since I got the Internet 15 years ago! If it wasn't simple to use it wouldn't hear the end of it from the other half! It was bad enough getting her to swap from $ky to vu!

Rob van der Does
26-11-12, 13:11
Indeed: if you only make a very limited use of your STB a limited amount of buttons will be sufficient. But I think most of us want to be able to use the functions I mentioned (at least I use them all the time).

tonyvix
26-11-12, 13:57

Have to agree. If my wife can use it without problems...........it's good !!!!!:eek:

yngvekl
30-11-12, 10:45
Admin please delete. Original post removed due to being blind when asking a question...

/Yngve

danop
30-11-12, 13:06
I had the Harmony One, 1000, 1100 and is now using the 900 which is fare better than the others.
It is nice looking, it have the 4 coular buttons, it have RF (so you can controll units behind doors),
and you can extent the 900 with a lot of stuff. It is expensive, but worth the extra money - in my opinion.

Rob van der Does
30-11-12, 13:59
I had the Harmony One, 1000, 1100 and is now using the 900 which is fare better than the others.
It is nice looking, it have the 4 coulor buttons, it have RF (so you can control units behind doors),
and you can extent the 900 with a lot of stuff. It is expensive, but worth the extra money - in my opinion.
Then you're more lucky then I am: I have three 900's using RF and even at a range of 2m without any object the blocking line of sight communication often fails.

Clabs
06-12-12, 20:46
I have just bought myself a Harmony 650 and have to say that I am pretty impressed with it. Of course, it is early days so there is bound to be a transition time in getting used to the idea of a predominantly activity based remote.

Have it working pretty well but do have a slight setup issue with my Ultimo and know that a fair few on here use this model so figured this would be a good place to ask. Didn't seem to make sense starting another thread :)

The issue I have is the speed of scrolling in the menus/epg. With the original remote, scrolling is lovley and fast and precise ie stops scrolling the moment you release either the up or down buttons. With the 650, it seems much slower and clunkier and when you release the direction buttons, the cursor continues to move up or down a few more places before stopping.

I have tried tweaking the delays on the remote but it didn't seem to make much difference.

Did anyone else experience this and if you did, did you find a setting that resolved things for you?

Cheers

Rob van der Does
06-12-12, 21:39
Do you use myharmony.com for the setup, or the clientware? I would advise to use the latter, and go to device problemsolving --> device reacts too much and lower the repeats.

Clabs
06-12-12, 23:18
Hi Rob

When I was doing my research, I did see quite a few moans about myharmony so went with the clientware.

I did have a look where you suggested and that does seem to have improved things somewhat, so thank you for the heads up - much appreciated.

I have only had it a few days so with a bit more use, I sure it will become much more familiar to me. Bit like when I bought my first E2 box :confused:

Thanks mate.

Rob van der Does
07-12-12, 06:02
Improved somewhat? So it is still a problem? That should not be the case.
If you continue to struggle with this, you might write a mail (from within the software) to the customer service: they are very willing to help.

Clabs
07-12-12, 21:53
Thanks Rob

Reducing delays etc did seem to improve things somewhat but it was still slightly sluggish scrolling the menus/EPG compared to the OEM remote. But I had been doing a fair bit of messing about, adding and deleting devices and activities.

Decided to reset it and start afresh and everything working well now, so happy days.

Thanks for the help mate.