PDA

View Full Version : Which image do you recommend, except from Vix?

Hamram
17-11-12, 12:31
I've been using Vix almost from day one, but now I unfortunally need to look elsewhere. This is for one reason only; the subs are lost when I pause/timeshift a program. Let's say that I watch BBC HD, and need to pause the show. When I then resume the program, the subs are gone. To get it back, I need to go to the subtitle menu, choose another language, exit, go back to the subs menu, and then choose Norwegian, which is my language. This is very annoying, but I can cope with it. However, my wife and kids are not pleased at all, and they take out their frustation on me, so...

If you can recommend an image for me which do NOT loose the subs when I use the TS-function, and on top of that can run both CCcam and Oscam simultaneously, I would be glad.

Of course it would be best if this bug was found and fixed in the Vix-image, but as nearly a full year has passed without the error being fixed, I must try something else.

Donnie
17-11-12, 12:57
There is no point suggesting images, my advice is load a different one and try them for yourself.

Hamram
17-11-12, 13:14
There is no point suggesting images, my advice is load a different one and try them for yourself.

No point..? Strange comment... For me it would be perfect, otherwise I wouldn't have asked. I have plenty of other things to do the few hours I'm at home during a week, so a litte help would be great. Of course there's no point in suggesting any random image, but if it works with the subs, and oscam/cccam combo, it is spot on, and therefore it will be of great value for me, and quite the opposite of "no point"...

Mr. Mister
17-11-12, 13:35
Not being funny here buddy.. But most people who frequent this forum use the Vix image..

Thats probaby got something to do with this is the home of the Vix image..

So asking in this forum for recommendation on another image.. Is probably not the best idea..

Just one other thing.. I have never seen you post anything about this problem before..

Thats not to say that you have not posted.. It just means that if i have missed it..

Then the others could have missed it as well.. Therefore problem has never been fixed..

Larry-G
17-11-12, 13:39
@ Hamram

He likely meant, that there is no point recommending a image owing to the fact that people's tastes differ, so that a image that may be to his liking may not be to yours.

Plus it only takes a few minutes to load a new image to try it. The best solution is as recommended, download and try a few images your self to find which best suits you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hamram
17-11-12, 14:08
I use Vix myself, and of course I realise that most of the users in here do the same. I also think that people might have tested other images as well, and that they might be glad to help a fellow Vixer struggling... I have mentioned this issue "all the way", and latest in the OE3.0 thread (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?20200-New-ViX-Team-VU-Duo-OE3-0-Discussion&p=163668&highlight=hamram#post163668).

I couldn't imagine that it would be an offence to anybody if I asked for another image, as it is possible to download other images from this very site. I apologise if anyone dislike my request for advise.

Regarding the like/dislike factor, it is of course true, but as it is now I must find an image which supports subs all the way, no matter how litte I like it otherwise... It takes only a few minutes to get a new image flashed to the box, that's true, but it takes longer to find out if it will run as I need (os/cc + subs), as I can't use my cards without os/cc.

But OK, I will just have to use my time on this, and hope for the best. My other STB will still be running Vix, so if the subs-problem is fixed it will be Vix on both.

Larry-G
17-11-12, 14:18
I use Vix myself, and of course I realise that most of the users in here do the same. I also think that people might have tested other images as well, and that they might be glad to help a fellow Vixer struggling... I have mentioned this issue "all the way", and latest in the OE3.0 thread (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?20200-New-ViX-Team-VU-Duo-OE3-0-Discussion&p=163668&highlight=hamram#post163668).

I couldn't imagine that it would be an offence to anybody if I asked for another image, as it is possible to download other images from this very site. I apologise if anyone dislike my request for advise.

Regarding the like/dislike factor, it is of course true, but as it is now I must find an image which supports subs all the way, no matter how litte I like it otherwise... It takes only a few minutes to get a new image flashed to the box, that's true, but it takes longer to find out if it will run as I need (os/cc + subs), as I can't use my cards without os/cc.

But OK, I will just have to use my time on this, and hope for the best. My other STB will still be running Vix, so if the subs-problem is fixed it will be Vix on both.

As I said a image can be a very personal thing and that can elicit a very territorial response, especially when asking others for their opinions.

Personally I have never had need for subtitles so its not a area I have ever looked into, so I can't really offer any help in that area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hamram
17-11-12, 17:42
I don't know if I'm correct on this, but might it be that the subtitles is used more frequently in Scandinavia, than in the rest of Europe? Foreign shows are not dubbed to Norwegian/Swedish, only subtitled. And to top this, at least 50% of the programs come from other countries. Both English speaking, German, Finnish, French a.s.o., so without subs, most people are totally lost... In a manner..:rolleyes:

twol
17-11-12, 17:43
I've been using Vix almost from day one, but now I unfortunally need to look elsewhere. This is for one reason only; the subs are lost when I pause/timeshift a program. Let's say that I watch BBC HD, and need to pause the show. When I then resume the program, the subs are gone. To get it back, I need to go to the subtitle menu, choose another language, exit, go back to the subs menu, and then choose Norwegian, which is my language. This is very annoying, but I can cope with it. However, my wife and kids are not pleased at all, and they take out their frustation on me, so...

If you can recommend an image for me which do NOT loose the subs when I use the TS-function, and on top of that can run both CCcam and Oscam simultaneously, I would be glad.

Of course it would be best if this bug was found and fixed in the Vix-image, but as nearly a full year has passed without the error being fixed, I must try something else.

Out of curiosity,which version of VIX are you running?

pooface
17-11-12, 20:04
Add others, suggesting images is very personal. But since you don't care about the image,I would say to try pli image. See if that resolves your problem. If not, then it's likely all pli based images will suffer this problem. Therefore would need to suggest an oem based image. I would probably suggest black hole for this... Then try that and see if it had sorted your sub title problem

You may need to install the pts plugin if you need pts, as doubt it will be installed by default...

Let us know tho if the problem is restless in the other images...

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

pooface
17-11-12, 20:04

Forgot to include this in last reply... But, have you updated to very latest, and tested whether subs are ok in that version?

Donnie
17-11-12, 21:19
No point..? Strange comment... For me it would be perfect, otherwise I wouldn't have asked. I have plenty of other things to do the few hours I'm at home during a week, so a litte help would be great. Of course there's no point in suggesting any random image, but if it works with the subs, and oscam/cccam combo, it is spot on, and therefore it will be of great value for me, and quite the opposite of "no point"...

What I like is a personal choice for many reasons, I use BH images on my Uno and Ultimo and VIX on my Duo.
I run VIX on the Duo as it is a lite image and does not consume the Duo which does not have the capabilities of the Uno and Ultimo.
Ultimately thought you have pli based images and OE based images such as VTI and Black Hole.

Rob van der Does
18-11-12, 09:00
I don't know if I'm correct on this, but might it be that the subtitles is used more frequently in Scandinavia, than in the rest of Europe? Foreign shows are not dubbed to Norwegian/Swedish, only subtitled. And to top this, at least 50% of the programs come from other countries. Both English speaking, German, Finnish, French a.s.o., so without subs, most people are totally lost... In a manner..:rolleyes:
The same applies to the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and several other mid- & east European countries. In fact only the UK, France, Italy, Spain & Germany can do without subtitles (most of the time).

So in fact you're asking for a comparative test of several images?
Although not going to do that; I'll make a general remark: there are PLi-based images and OI-based images. The latter are really old fashioned and lack a lot of functionality; most of the time more or less compensated by plugins (such as EMC, Cool-EPG and several other) to try to make something of it.
PLi-based images are the most innovative ones, and go far beyond that level; especially when subtitles are of importance, they're in fact the only choice.

Having said that: you'll really have to make your choice based on your own likings. The only way to do that is to use an image for say a week or so. Hearing me say 'I like ViX' won't help you very much (but still I do :p ).

Hamram
18-11-12, 12:30

Latest. 420 yesterday, and 421 today.

Hamram
18-11-12, 12:32
Add others, suggesting images is very personal. But since you don't care about the image,I would say to try pli image. See if that resolves your problem. If not, then it's likely all pli based images will suffer this problem. Therefore would need to suggest an oem based image. I would probably suggest black hole for this... Then try that and see if it had sorted your sub title problem

You may need to install the pts plugin if you need pts, as doubt it will be installed by default...

Let us know tho if the problem is restless in the other images...

I'll give Pli a go ASAP. As I'm occupied almost all the time these days, it might no be done before next weekend. I'll report my findings here.

Hamram
18-11-12, 12:41
Just to clearify this; I like Vix over all other images I've tested, but I haven't tested anything but Vix the last couple of years, Back then the subs were working great on all kinds of image, including Vix. Suddenly this sub-problem appeared, and this has now led to this small crisis... My wife and kids are not happy with the Vu+ anymore... :rolleyes:

Mr. Mister
18-11-12, 12:47
My wife and kids are not happy with the Vu+ anymore... :rolleyes:

I very much doubt if this is just a Vu+ problem..

This is likely to expand accross all brands of receivers..

Larry-G
18-11-12, 12:48
Just to clearify this; I like Vix over all other images I've tested, but I haven't tested anything but Vix the last couple of years, Back then the subs were working great on all kinds of image, including Vix. Suddenly this sub-problem appeared, and this has now led to this small crisis... My wife and kids are not happy with the Vu+ anymore... :rolleyes:

no one is trying to claim you dont like ViX and frankly it would not matter if you did or did not like the image, It's what best works for you not what others believe to be the best image for them. as suggested try the pli image and see if the subs work there so that we can rule out pli as the fault, if they do work in the pli image it will give us a starting point to try and find out how and why they dont work in ViX.

Larry-G
18-11-12, 12:55
no one is trying to claim you dont like ViX and frankly it would not matter if you did or did not like the image, It's what best works for you not what others believe to be the best image for them. as suggested try the pli image and see if the subs work there so that we can rule out pli as the fault, if they do work in the pli image it will give us a starting point to try and find out how and why they dont work in ViX.

Just to add a little to the above.

Yes this is obviously a ViX orientated Forum, This after all the birth place of the ViX image and it's where the image is developed and released to the public. That said we will not turn a user away or denigrate them just because they dont want to use our Image.

There is a massive choice of images available and we will always try to help a user no matter their choice of image, but for you to find the image that best works for you may require a little work on your part, especially where subtitles come into play. as already pointed out we in The UK as a whole dont tend to use subtitles except for the hard of hearing. It's not that we dont want to help you it's more that we cant as we dont have much experience in this area.

Hamram
18-11-12, 14:17
Well, I finally got an hour for myself, and I'm now running Pli on one of my boxes. Result: The subs disappear in Pli as well. Then we at least know the origin of the problem.

pooface
18-11-12, 16:13
Well, I finally got an hour for myself, and I'm now running Pli on one of my boxes. Result: The subs disappear in Pli as well. Then we at least know the origin of the problem.

Thanks for testing that Hamram. I would now suggest trying either vti or black hole, as they are both oi images, and in theory, should work.

As another option, you could try mentioning it to PLi to bring it to their attention...

Sent from my iPad using that Tapatalk thingy

Rob van der Does
18-11-12, 18:42
As another option, you could try mentioning it to PLi to bring it to their attention...
See the result of bringing that to the attention of PLi:

http://openpli.org/forums/topic/26509-subtitle-problem/page__view__findpost__p__314449

Larry-G
18-11-12, 19:02
pli's usual "problem what problem ?, your obviously doing something wrong" attitude, no huge surprise there sadly.

pooface
18-11-12, 20:07
At least pieterg seems to have a good sense in him to actually look at it. Let's hope he does indeed look at it for you...