PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] What is media scanner plugin?

mickyblueys
16-11-12, 20:09
Apologies if this is in wrong section.
Just wondered what is the plugin media scanner? Which is default to vix.
Pardon my ignorance but it sounds like it should scan for media!!

I only ask because I have just ftp's some music files to my duo. I then thought I would use thus plugin to scan for them, but when I run it it just says "no displayable files on this medium found"

Any answers appreciated.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

judge
16-11-12, 20:29
It does what it says on the tin, scans media.

Insert a USB stick with playable files & it scans giving you the option to play them.

mickyblueys
16-11-12, 20:35
It does what it says on the tin, scans media.

Insert a USB stick with playable files & it scans giving you the option to play them.

Ahh...... so the media has to be external to the box.

judge
16-11-12, 20:44
Not exactly, it will scan the root of any device, so if you had playable media on the root of /media/hdd/ or any of the other bookmarks shown, it will scan & give you the option to play them.
I do use it to view movies on USB though, copy a movie to usb stick, stick the usb in the front of a duo, watch the movie.

mickyblueys
16-11-12, 20:59
So because my music is inside a folder in media/hdd/music it won't find it.....
But if it were in just media/hdd/........then the mp3 or avi file.
It would find it then.

Is that right.

judge
16-11-12, 21:03
Yes, but why not use the default media player to play your media files, atleast that way you can keep them organised.
Also YAMP in the plugin feeds is good for MP3s, it does playlists & cover art.

mickyblueys
16-11-12, 21:42
I do I just wanted to know what media scanner was, and why you would need to use it.

Rob van der Does
17-11-12, 08:21
The primary purpose is to do an automated quick scan for playable media files when you attach a device.
Install the plugin and attach an USB-stick with/without those files and you'll see the result in a pop-up.