PDA

View Full Version : which external HDD?

satsatsat
14-09-10, 21:56
i want to buy an external hdd - using a mix of vix and pli - both very good

can i buy any type of external hdd eg go to pc world or similar or one of the shops supporting forum and buy any external hdd or does it have to be a spcific type, or have a specific feature..

any ideas

pooface
14-09-10, 22:19
Personally, would say to get one which has e-sata, as it's faster than usb...

There have been a few people who've had problems with e-sata and usb drives from what I recall, but have been using a freecom quattro 1.5tb e-sata/usb hdd np in e-sata mode :p

satsatsat
14-09-10, 22:33
thankx i try that

jusaju
14-09-10, 22:46
Hi

I suggest You go to ones recommend here and just earlier by Pooface, just cant go wrong.

Personally I´m using old 2,5" pocket usb without external power supply..(I bought from china few years ago...usb/mini usb)
Also that is working ok..recording max amout of hd channels/one tuner and no problems.

What I´am trying to say is if you have any old usb hard drives You can try them first.

But if You have to buy a new one...then better follow new models :) :)

Sicilian
15-09-10, 13:39
Personally I'd recommend a external HDD that has its own PSU, some without a PSU are a bit flaky.

pooface
15-09-10, 14:18
Personally I'd recommend a external HDD that has its own PSU, some without a PSU are a bit flaky.

I think all hdds which are e-sata require a power supply... But yeah, will require a power supply, as the power given via usb from the duo isn't very high at all...

satsatsat
15-09-10, 15:25
iv got some old usb style hdd say 100 gb each (freecom) but the box wont even recognise them or find them when i plug them in..

ive got an internal style 400 gb that i bought from maplins....maybe i could fit this but would need an idiots guide to do so (cos im a idiot lol)...

any ideas