PDA

View Full Version : GigaBlue Quad + OpenMips 2.0 + HDGlass16 skin + CoolTV Guide = Quad on VIX 3.1 ;)

mauri
07-11-12, 04:49
The title says it all. :)

Never thought that I would jump off the Vix boat - that is, till I combined in my Quad, OpenMips, HDglass16 skin and CoolTV guide. I mean, wow!

marty
07-11-12, 09:39
Thats what I was using BEFORE VIX was released but without HDglass as a temp solution.
I still think VIX is better :) and when (or if) a VIX3.1 is released I'm pretty sure it will wipe the floor of all other images.
VIX has been a firm fave of mine ever since VIX1.2 :thumbsup: and IMHO has always been a superior image :cool:

jerry2
07-11-12, 11:41
I don't want to be provocative, but what do you find with VIX that is so much bette? I find great support here, but images are all based on the same Enigma 2 code I think, I see mostly differences in skin.

marty
07-11-12, 11:51
I find its set up pretty much just how I like it :)
It is down to personal preference but VIX just feels smoother :D
VIX does have some nice features (yes I know you "could" spend ages installing them etc etc on another image :p ) but why bother when VIX is more or less spot on out the box.

Likvid
07-11-12, 15:04
I don't want to be provocative, but what do you find with VIX that is so much bette? I find great support here, but images are all based on the same Enigma 2 code I think, I see mostly differences in skin.

I always prefered Blackhole, its like the Ferrari of images.

mauri
07-11-12, 16:44
I find its set up pretty much just how I like it :)
It is down to personal preference but VIX just feels smoother :D
VIX does have some nice features (yes I know you "could" spend ages installing them etc etc on another image :p ) but why bother when VIX is more or less spot on out the box.

You summed it up perfectly what I think myself for VIX, but atm VIX is lacking on Quad box, and it's playing catch up when compared to other teams' images out there.
For the moment I will stick with OpenMips (that is, till VIX 3.1 will hit the floor :D).

cheers

Larry-G
07-11-12, 18:16

Thats like saying that all Linux distro's are basically the same just with a different GUI !.

I cant speak for any other image but I know that a huge portion of the ViX image has been re-written by andyblac him self to include features that he created or edited with the authors permission and are now as standard in many other images. for example The ViX softcam manager, ViX backup manager. ViX image manager. not to mention the many yet to be released additions that andy has coded.

a lot of you may say "yes but ViX is just a pli image with a new skin" and to those of you who think that i say look at our and the OE-Alliance gits and you will see just how untrue that statement really is.

At the end of the day we the end user have a vast amount of active teams and their various images to choose from, I personally use ViX not just because i'm a beta tester but because the image is constantly evolving and at every step we take our users opinions and requests into consideration before introducing new features. We go a very long way to ensure that our image is as user friendly as possible, while still allowing for user customization etc.

marty
07-11-12, 21:52
but atm VIX is lacking on Quad box

Why do you say that? :confused:

mauri
07-11-12, 22:36
Why do you say that? :confused:

first of all, VIX was the last one jumping in the GB Quad boat (while other images were around since months now). I know, I will have replies like 'yeah, true, but that is because VIX goes in the mix only after testing thoroughly, etc'. But, personally I would prefer to have my favorite image (which is VIX), be it a little bit buggy, rather then having to try another image.

Some other 'bugs':
- there are a few bugs that I found in VIX but not in OpenMips: audio tracks - when I change the audio tracks, say from Italian to English (when in Sky Italia), it takes up to 10 or more seconds for the audio to come thru.
- the famous LCD of quad - can not be used in its full glory on VIX - you have to tweak a skin xml file in order to get to show a few customized picons (different, bigger dimensions than the normal ones - even then I had a black skin for all other channels except the few sky uk hd customized picons). while on OpenMips lcd uses the the same picons you have on skin tv gui.
- Project Valerie is not in VIX feeds anymore, while on OpenMips there is the latest build (I know why vix put it down - cuz of the PV buggs crashing the boxes).
- not sure about GlassHD16 skin - I think it's not in vix feeds as well.
- softcam restarts by itself (Cccam 2.2.1) quite often in Quad VIX - in openMips seems rock solid.
- in VIX I had to quite often make the mount again for my nas drive
- I dont remember some other minor things

On the other hand, VIX integration of several, much needed features, like Software management, Cross EPG, multiquick button mapping etc etc, make the user experience, like you say - very smooth. it took me quite sometime tweaking around (the unknown) OpenMips, installing quite a lot of plugins which Vix has embedded, just to make a similar user experience as with VIX. And still I miss the simplistic - but great looking - vix epg. I miss the multiquick button commands that are embedded with vix, like IMDB query, timers, epg search. The menu trees in the image in VIX are much better laid out, etc.

But again, like you say, it always comes down to personal feeling.
For me, at the moment, as far as GB Quad is concerned - VIX is not yet where it should be.

cheers

Stanman
07-11-12, 22:39
VIX was not released as we did not have any boxes to test on and will not release a totally untested image to users.

Am surprised you say "VIX is not there yet" as essentially its the exact same image across all the boxes we support and the only exceptions are HW limitations of the respective boxes.

judge
07-11-12, 22:41
We have only a few testers with Quads, if you report the issues when you find them, they would be looked into a lot faster...

Mr. Mister
07-11-12, 22:51
Some other 'bugs':
- there are a few bugs that I found in VIX but not in OpenMips: audio tracks - when I change the audio tracks, say from Italian to English (when in Sky Italia), it takes up to 10 or more seconds for the audio to come thru.

Not the case for me.. Its exactly like it is for the Ultimo and Duo before that..

- the famous LCD of quad - can not be used in its full glory on VIX - you have to tweak a skin xml file in order to get to show a few customized picons (different, bigger dimensions than the normal ones - even then I had a black skin for all other channels except the few sky uk hd customized picons). while on OpenMips lcd uses the the same picons you have on skin tv gui.

You have 2 options here.. 1/ Why not use the xml from open mips and add it to your Vix.. ? 2/ I have seen at least 3 thrrads on this forum where other members have posted their own xml file for others to use.. rossi has also started a set of picons for the Quad..

- Project Valerie is not in VIX feeds anymore, while on OpenMips there is the latest build (I know why vix put it down - cuz of the PV buggs crashing the boxes).

Dont need to say anymore.. You got this one pretty much covered..

Again.. I dont use any of the other skins.. as i like the Vix night skin more than any other.. ( But again this is your preference.. )

- softcam restarts by itself (Cccam 2.2.1) quite often in Quad VIX - in openMips seems rock solid.

Please can you elaborate a bit more on this.. ?? as i have had no issues what so ever with any softcams..

This bug was fixed a few build agao and everything has been fine ever since..

Hope this helps buddy..

Larry-G
07-11-12, 23:06
first of all, VIX was the last one jumping in the GB Quad boat (while other images were around since months now). I know, I will have replies like 'yeah, true, but that is because VIX goes in the mix only after testing thoroughly, etc'. But, personally I would prefer to have my favorite image (which is VIX), be it a little bit buggy, rather then having to try another image.

We have had a image for this receiver for many months now but unlike some other teams we wont release a image just to say we were the first, and absolutely not unless we have actually tested it on a physical receiver. in fact at last count i think there was something like 21 different boxes with ViX support, not all have been released for various reasons but just because there not in the public domain doers not mean that were not working on them.

Some other 'bugs':

Personally i see no point in comparing us to other images especialy when it comes to things like what we display on the VFD / LCD display. this is very personal info to each user and no matter what we place there some one will complain that it's not to their liking, that said there is something in the works in this area.

PV is not compatible with our image and for that reason we dont carry it in our feeds, if you want it to be fully ViX compatible speak to it's authors.
the same is true for the Glass 16 HD skin.

I have yet to hear of any one else post a similar report as to CCcam with the ViX image and i'm certain if there was a problem people would have told us, that said unless you tell us how are we to know about it or even try to fix your issues ?.

The mounts issue has since been fixed, update to a newer version of the image.

On the other hand, VIX integration of several, much needed features, like Software management, Cross EPG, multiquick button mapping etc etc, make the user experience, like you say - very smooth. it took me quite sometime tweaking around (the unknown) OpenMips, installing quite a lot of plugins which Vix has embedded, just to make a similar user experience as with VIX. And still I miss the simplistic - but great looking - vix epg. I miss the multiquick button commands that are embedded with vix, like IMDB query, timers, epg search. The menu trees in the image in VIX are much better laid out, etc.

But again, like you say, it always comes down to personal feeling.
For me, at the moment, as far as GB Quad is concerned - VIX is not yet where it should be.

cheers

A image is a personal choice if you dont like once use another, but dont complain if your not at least prepared to submit crash logs etc.

jerry2
07-11-12, 23:23
THis is my personal opinion as I have tested OpenMIps OpenAAF and VIX. I can not send crash logs Ias I don't have them. But VIX is the most unstable FOR ME here. I had many green screens of death with it and I flashed a few times so it is not about some bad plugin I installed.

All the other images were easily updatable by button, but for some reason I can not update Vix, it finds 40 updates and I update, it finds 20 updates and I update and it still finds 20 updates and the image is on 393 release, don't know why. Maybe I am doing something wrong, I am not saying I am not. But I had most problems so far with Vix image up to now, the OpenMips was to plain for me (had to find many things), OpenAAF was the most stable for me.

As I said this is my personal opinion, it can change later. I'll install OpenAAF again now and try Vix at some later date. I like to flash images so it is no problem.

Mr. Mister
07-11-12, 23:39
Hi Jerry..

You say that you were getting many green screens.. ( Vix only have Black screens since 1 year ago)..

Each time you get a black screen.. Your Quad will generate a crash log..

It would have helped the Vix team immensely if you had upload the crash logs to the forum..

Please could you do this in the future if you decide to try the Vix image again..

mauri
07-11-12, 23:45
Some other 'bugs':

Not the case for me.. Its exactly like it is for the Ultimo and Duo before that..

Nope, I did not have this bug with VIX 3.0 on my Duo.

You have 2 options here.. 1/ Why not use the xml from open mips and add it to your Vix.. ? 2/ I have seen at least 3 thrrads on this forum where other members have posted their own xml file for others to use.. rossi has also started a set of picons for the Quad..

- I did that, I placed Rossi's picons - and yes, it showed those picons, namely the 30 something picons, while for all the other channels was showing an empty black screen.

Dont need to say anymore.. You got this one pretty much covered..

- if PV is not compatible in VIX, but in another image, then for me, VIX gets -1 credit.

Again.. I dont use any of the other skins.. as i like the Vix night skin more than any other.. ( But again this is your preference.. )
I do like VIX night, and I tried to install it on my OpenMips) since it was showing in their feeds, but does not install properly. GlassHD is way beyond any other skin that I have tried so far. But that's only me maybe, who likes to tweak a lot the GUI as per my special likings...

Please can you elaborate a bit more on this.. ?? as i have had no issues what so ever with any softcams..
- it freezes, hence I need to restart it. Does not hapen with OpenMips - which has cccam 2.3.

This bug was fixed a few build agao and everything has been fine ever since..
I didnt know that since I am on OpenMips now.

Hope this helps buddy..
As I said, these are my 'feelings' atm re VIX Vs OpenMips.

Mr. Mister
07-11-12, 23:52
OK.. We got a few of those sorted right away..

Your CCcam issue.. Vix has CCcam 2.30.. Have you tried that.. ??

Can i ask where you got the 2.2.1 ipk file from for the Vix image.. As this sounds like an ipk maybe for another image.. ??

mauri
07-11-12, 23:55
OK.. We got a few of those sorted right away..

Your CCcam issue.. Vix has CCcam 2.30.. Have you tried that.. ??

Can i ask where you got the 2.2.1 ipk file from for the Vix image.. As this sounds like an ipk maybe for another image.. ??

I do not remember where I got it from, but I have been using it since maybe 2 years on all my VIX builds, with no issues.
I can attach it (if the forum rules allow it)...

Mr. Mister
07-11-12, 23:56
On the VFD issue..

Its entirly up to Rossi if/when he decides to complete the picons for the Gigablue..

Although i have never used them on Ultimo or Quad.. He did make a great full set for the Ultimo.. So i see no reason why he will not do the same for the GB Quad..

Again.. The option still exists for you to use the xml file from the Openmips image..

Mr. Mister
07-11-12, 23:59
This is the link where you will get the vix softcams..

http://www.4shared.com/rar/-KLPZQYB/Cccam_230_gigablue.html

If you decide to give Vix another shot.. Let us know how you get on..

Sicilian
08-11-12, 00:14

Complete wrong statement! Sounds like you should figure out where openembedded core ends and Enigma 2 starts.

first of all, VIX was the last one jumping in the GB Quad boat (while other images were around since months now).

Thats because we are NOT glory hunters! We waited for the 1st driver update that cleared a few issues. If ViX was released before the current drivers then you really would have had something to moan about.

Some other 'bugs':

Total nonsense, I use Sky IT myself, never takes 10 seconds to change audio, must be an issue in your configuration also an example of how in experienced you are! Menu > Setup > System > Auto language Selection, set undetermined as one of your preferred language's.

As stated you can tweak your own XML. Yes it may show picons as default, but everything else about the xml they've used is totally wrong! All the fonts sizes in different screens are wrong and follow no pattern. There will never be a perfect LCD XML that keeps everyone happy. IMO Picons are eye candy, the info currently show is far more useful than the tiny picon Openmips displays.

That's because it makes too many core changes and cannot easily be uninstalled on any images.

Total nonsense, either you install the softcam wrongly or something wrong in your config.

Fixed.

Well how can we help if you dont report them??

That's you opinion.

THis is my personal opinion as I have tested OpenMIps OpenAAF and VIX. I can not send crash logs Ias I don't have them. But VIX is the most unstable FOR ME here. I had many green screens of death with it and I flashed a few times so it is not about some bad plugin I installed.

Couldn't have been ViX installed as we dont have green crash screens. I've tested the Quad to death, anyone getting BLACK crash screens should post the logs, there have been a couple in last 2-3 updates, but have now been fixed. I even posted in ViX support center advising users not to update ;)

All the other images were easily updatable by button, but for some reason I can not update Vix, it finds 40 updates and I update, it finds 20 updates and I update and it still finds 20 updates and the image is on 393 release, don't know why

Its an update bug that's now been fixed, all you had to do is take a settings backup, reflash and restore your settings backup.

Bottom line is sometimes its far too easy to blame the image instead of checking out what you've done. Anyone getting any crash screens should report them in ViX Support centre or send the logs through logs manager, how else are we supposed to help?? Many plugins and skins like HD Glass can often be the cause, hence why they're not in the feeds!

mauri
08-11-12, 00:34
Complete wrong statement! Sounds like you should figure out where openembedded core ends and Enigma 2 starts.

Thats because we are NOT glory hunters! We waited for the 1st driver update that cleared a few issues. If ViX was released before the current drivers then you really would have had something to moan about.

Total nonsense, I use Sky IT myself, never takes 10 seconds to change audio, must be an issue in your configuration also an example of how in experienced you are! Menu > Setup > System > Auto language Selection, set undetermined as one of your preferred language's.

The delay when swapping the audio track happens quite a lot. And yes, I know the auto language menu you are referring to, but that is not related to the bug I am telling about. In Duo on VIX 3.0 this happened rarely when going from media recorded to live tv or vice versa - I could not have the audio track. The only solution was to reboot the box.

As stated you can tweak your own XML. Yes it may show picons as default, but everything else about the xml they've used is totally wrong! All the fonts sizes in different screens are wrong and follow no pattern. There will never be a perfect LCD XML that keeps everyone happy. IMO Picons are eye candy, the info currently show is far more useful than the tiny picon Openmips displays.

That's because it makes too many core changes and cannot easily be uninstalled on any images.

Total nonsense, either you install the softcam wrongly or something wrong in your config.
I have flashed my Duo tens of times, with different images/cams, so trust me I know what I am talking about.

Fixed.

Well how can we help if you dont report them??

That's you opinion.

Couldn't have been ViX installed as we dont have green crash screens. I've tested the Quad to death, anyone getting BLACK crash screens should post the logs, there have been a couple in last 2-3 updates, but have now been fixed. I even posted in ViX support center advising users not to update ;)

Its an update bug that's now been fixed, all you had to do is take a settings backup, reflash and restore your settings backup.

Bottom line is sometimes its far too easy to blame the image instead of checking out what you've done. Anyone getting any crash screens should report them in ViX Support centre or send the logs through logs manager, how else are we supposed to help??

I do not understand why so many admin/testers/forum supporters literally jump in someone's throat just because he/she gives HIS OPINION.
I and many like me, are hobbyists, that like to play with these linux toys. Most of us are not programmers, so we would have the given status of speaking sensible (read: proffesional opinions in linux/STB matters). Therefore, please refrain yourself from this nonsense arrogant tone, since it does not help the sharing of thoughts/knowledge - which this forum is all about.

judge
08-11-12, 00:37
It's not arrogant, just when people report issues without reporting any actual issues when they find them, it's hard to find & fix them.

Likvid
08-11-12, 00:39
@mauri

Because many of these people making these images are putting alot of time and energy and suddenly some dude like you comes and say VIX is crap and the others are better and in their own forum of all places, that is not nice, you have a free choice but don't be disrespectful just because you don't like it, what if there was only one image available? would you be happier then?

mauri
08-11-12, 00:43
@mauri

Because many of these people making these images are putting alot of time and energy and suddenly some dude like you comes and say VIX is crap and the others are better and in their own forum of all places, that is not nice, you have a free choice but don't be disrespectful just because you don't like it, what if there was only one image available? would you be happier then?

What the heck you saying?!
In what sentence/wording of mine you read smth in the lines that VIX is total crap?! :O
Even the subject of my thread is saying, please, please bring us the VIX 3.1.

Or, maybe the language barriers play a role here...
And yes, I am very thankful for the hard work put behind any image - especially VIX - since it is my preferred one.

And you know what, I would gladly be one of the VIX testers in Quad - should someone says yes to my offering.

but, I believe everyone has the right to give their frank opinion in matters concerning user experience...

Sicilian
08-11-12, 00:54
I do not understand why so many admin/testers/forum supporters literally jump in someone's throat just because he/she gives HIS OPINION.
I and many like me, are hobbyists, that like to play with these linux toys. Most of us are not programmers, so we would have the given status of speaking sensible (read: proffesional opinions in linux/STB matters). Therefore, please refrain yourself from this nonsense arrogant tone, since it does not help the sharing of thoughts/knowledge - which this forum is all about.

I'm not jumping down your throat, just answering to what you posted. You are the one who stated ViX is playing catch up which I feel is rather unfounded and felt I needed to post my opinion as you did :) You mention things like the LCD and HD Glass skin, every team has their own skins and their own thoughts one these and can easily be changed by the user. HD Glass skin can be the cause of many crashes because of what it installs, its not fully compatible with every image out there. People use it, get crashes then blame VIX! Thats wrong imo and needs to be addressed. Also you've not posted any logs to prove the instabilities you've posted about. If your going to blame ViX for anything like this at least please post your logs so we can check whats going on.

As stated in my earlier post, bottom line it's sometimes its far too easy for users to blame the image instead of checking out what they're done and what they've installed. Users should understand that not every plugin and every skin is fully compatible with every image and can cause crashes. Anyone getting any crash screens should report them in ViX Support center or send the logs through logs manager, how else are we supposed to help??

Most of us are not programmers, so we would have the given status of speaking sensible (read: proffesional opinions in linux/STB matters). Therefore, please refrain yourself from this nonsense arrogant tone, since it does not help the sharing of thoughts/knowledge - which this forum is all about.

Sorry but where did I state you need to be a programmer?? I really do not feel I'm being arrogant, more the contrary. You are the one who posted here stating ViX is 'playing catch up' and 'last one jumping in'! This is total rubbish, yes we could have released an image months ago, but why? A) The Quad wasn't even on sale and B) The drivers where terrible before last update! So why release an image just for the glory of saying here's a ViX image?

mauri
08-11-12, 01:31
My last comment, regarding Project Valerie and GlassHD 16 skin.
I am attaching a few screen grabs just to give a sense of the nice features they have (and why I would have like them so much in VIX)... Peace! :)

Note that screen grabs have only OSD and no live feed picture - this seems to be a bug of GB Quad (the same in VIX and OpenMips).

Larry-G
08-11-12, 01:37
As pointed out you would have to speak to their various authors if you want them to be made fully compatible, as for the Glass 16 HD skin it does look nice and i used it my self for a number of months but they way it hacks into so many system files to install it self, and that fact that it is almost impossible to fully remove once installed means i will never use it again.

jerry2
08-11-12, 21:58
Hi Jerry..

You say that you were getting many green screens.. ( Vix only have Black screens since 1 year ago)..

Each time you get a black screen.. Your Quad will generate a crash log..

It would have helped the Vix team immensely if you had upload the crash logs to the forum..

Please could you do this in the future if you decide to try the Vix image again..

Yes it is black indeed ;-) I still have Vix. I will upload the crash log, I think you have some automated way of sending it. Unfortunately I have reflashed a few times so my logs are gone and this last time I didn't go into the stuff that made me crash the fisrt time (like auto selecting ABC head in tuner, but I selected all 3 satellites manually now)... I will send next time I get black screen, promise. I know you can not fix if I only talk about black screens without log. I am a programmer myself ;-)

jerry2
08-11-12, 22:02
Yes the update bug is fixed now ;-) I am on 905 ;-)

judge
08-11-12, 22:03
You can also set logs to save to HDD or USB so they don't get lost on a new flash.

marty
08-11-12, 22:05
Yes the update bug is fixed now ;-) I am on 905 ;-)

905 :p was 404 this morning :D much have been 501 updates this afternoon :sofahide:

spv4u
08-11-12, 22:29
Hi

I got my box and went straight to the Vix image, which I continued to play with quite happily.

Had a bit of time this afternoon and tried your combination, my first thought was why on earth is the image twice the size of the Vix image. After a successful flash I began installing the apps you suggested only to be presented with several green screens of death.

I have now promptly returned back to Vix where I personally feel the image may not have as many bells and whistles yet, but for smoothness and functionality it fits what I am after. For me the decision was simple, why am I tinkering when the old image worked straight away and all I will end up doing is comparing it.

Thankyou devs for the work so far.

p.s. this is my own personal opinion and as such has no reflection on other images which may be as good if that is what you want, I am just too lazy to spend all night tinkering. :fart2:

jerry2
09-11-12, 09:34
905 :p was 404 this morning :D much have been 501 updates this afternoon :sofahide:

Hehe yes 405. I do not have receiver near and my memory seems to be bad.

mauri
09-11-12, 17:22
Hi

I got my box and went straight to the Vix image, which I continued to play with quite happily.

Had a bit of time this afternoon and tried your combination, my first thought was why on earth is the image twice the size of the Vix image. After a successful flash I began installing the apps you suggested only to be presented with several green screens of death.

I have now promptly returned back to Vix where I personally feel the image may not have as many bells and whistles yet, but for smoothness and functionality it fits what I am after. For me the decision was simple, why am I tinkering when the old image worked straight away and all I will end up doing is comparing it.

Thankyou devs for the work so far.

p.s. this is my own personal opinion and as such has no reflection on other images which may be as good if that is what you want, I am just too lazy to spend all night tinkering. :fart2:

:D Yeah, I guess that's a fair point, why spent time on tweaking/installing plugins while you may have a 'plug and play' image.
I guess I am one of the people who, exactly for the above reason, does not like iOS or iPhone for that matter. I do like playing around with my Galaxy S3 thou. ;)

XabiX
09-11-12, 18:50
I agree my choice is a stable image that works and you don't need to spend hours cuztomizing and that supports on line upgrades to avoid wasting time doing upgrades !

mauri
13-11-12, 19:25
Oops, lost tuner B - when I installed back the latest OpenVix :'(
Yeah, you guessed it - I could not wait to go back to VIX. I did miss the VIX buttons.
But, strangely enough, I lost one of the Sat tuners. I swapped cables, but the same - tuner B seems dead.
I am reflashing with VIX to see it fixes it... grrrrr

-===========================-

after reflashing my Quad with OpenVix - tuner B 'came alive'. :))

I don't why, when setting up the tuners in every reflash the tuner settings I select manually are not saved. They just keep on going to 'automatically select'. I have to go back to tuner settings after the box boots up in order to set the tuners correctly. I am not bragging about it too much, but it is a minor setback.

I have 2 Sat tuners and one Terrestial tuner (two sat dishes - each with Disceq; 1st dish has 28.2 + 23.5, and the 2nd dish has 13, 16, 19.2").
FYI