PDA

View Full Version : VU+ Solo VTI Cross EPG alternative

jimbolgs
07-11-12, 00:25
Hello, I've just bought and setup a VU+ Solo with VTI image which was recommended to me as a replacement for my OpenBox S9. However, Cross EPG is a bit crap and I was hoping for something a bit more graphic like you'd get on a Sky or Freeview box.

Are there any alternatives to Cross EPG?

Thanks in advance.

Larry-G
07-11-12, 00:28
I cant speak for VTI as i have frankly never used it, but i can say that in my opinion, and yes i am biased but in my opinion the ViX image has the single best EPG you will find any where barring and often including a official SKY issued receiver.

judge
07-11-12, 00:33
As pheonix suggests, i'd try VIX if you want great EPG.
I am biased too, but tried all images & settled on VIX for good.
Download the latest version from http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/
Try it out and see what you think.

jimbolgs
07-11-12, 00:43
The trouble is I'm very new to all this and don't know how to do it. The guy that recommended the box is far more experienced with these things and he tried and couldn't get VIX working. Is there a step-by-step guide somewhere that I could try? And what if I can't get it working — how could I revert back?

jimbolgs
07-11-12, 01:07
Ok, I found a tutorial (click here) (http://www.satpimps.com/showthread.php?135633-How-to-flash-Vu-Solo-with-USB-Pen-Drive) which is a couple of years old... does this sound credible?

Also, with VIX, can I still use iDreamX to add channel bouquets?

Sorry for so many questions.

tomthebomb1968
07-11-12, 12:06
Havent used VTI for a while but is crosseepg not just the mechanism of getting the epg data to your receiver, which it does very well. To display the data in the form you want you need to download something like Cooltvguide plugin. Or just use the VIX image .

pooface
07-11-12, 13:31
Havent used VTI for a while but is crosseepg not just the mechanism of getting the epg data to your receiver, which it does very well. To display the data in the form you want you need to download something like Cooltvguide plugin. Or just use the VIX image .

Just noticed this thread...

As Tom says, crossepg is just the downloaded that ensures you have a 7 day epg. This has nothing to do with epg display. I haven't used VTi for years, so don't know what it looks like now, but, as stated above. You could try getting the coolepg running on it, or just flash with the ViX image... If you want to stay with VTi, I'm not sure whether there are any other GUIs for the epg?! Maybe someone else will know, but coolepg is probably your best bet...

In regards to not getting ViX on your box, are you sure it's not a clone box?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jimbolgs
07-11-12, 18:57
Thanks for your responses, with regard to it being a clone, I bought it from here (World Of Satellite) so I don't know — how can I tell? Also, I've successfully installed CoolTVGuide but I'd really like to try VIX.

I flashed it with VIX this morning but it wouldn't reboot so I flashed it back to VTi.

This was the process I used:

Formatted USB stick to FAT32
Decompressed and put VIX on stick in correct folders
Inserted stick and pressed reset button on VU+ Solo
Waited for flashing green light then removed stick
Pressed reset again
No response
Repeated process with VTi image on stick
Box is working again

Any suggestions?

Edit: THIS is the link to what I bought. (http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Vu/Vu-SOLO-Single-Tuner-HD-PVR-DVB-S2-Satellite-Receiver)

Larry-G
07-11-12, 19:07
if you bought it from the forum sponsor World-of-satellite.co.uk then it's not a clone as he wont touch them.

mickyblueys
07-11-12, 19:25
You may have to load the bootloader first before flashing. But not 100%.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

jimbolgs
07-11-12, 20:43
I just downloaded: openvix-3.0.394-vusolo_usb.zip, decompressed it and put it on the stick.

Can anyone expand on this?
Should I give him a call?

Larry-G
07-11-12, 21:19
I have never used a solo so i'm unsure how to go ahead from here, i would advise that you first flash the newest bootloader just to be safe then go from there.

also if you bought the box From WoS what image did it come installed with as he would have installed any image you asked for.

judge
07-11-12, 21:22
So, on your USB stick you have

vuplus/solo/imgeversion
& the other files?

If so, stick it in the front USB & boot up the box.
leave it for about 3 or 4 minutes, when the red light stops flashing, remove it & reboot.

jimbolgs
07-11-12, 21:41
I did that and it wouldn't come back one at all so I re-flashed it back to VTi.

Here's the file system I used to unsuccessfully flash to VIX:

Larry-G
07-11-12, 21:49
Which version of VTI are you using ?

jimbolgs
07-11-12, 21:50
I'm using VTi 4.2.3 and the VIX I attempted was 3.0.394

Larry-G
07-11-12, 22:02
and what ViX versions have you tried so far ? have you tried more than 1 ?.

jimbolgs
07-11-12, 23:13
No, just 3.0.394, but perhaps it's the way I'm doing it? I'll give them a call tomorrow.

judge
07-11-12, 23:20
No, just 3.0.394, but perhaps it's the way I'm doing it? I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Flashing all images uses the same method, so if you can flash VTI, you can flash VIX...
Try the latest build available on:
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/index.php?dir=Vu%2BSolo/
and let us know if you have the same issue.