PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] Tried to mount network share - now box wont boot at all!

notimetochill
04-11-12, 22:56
Hi there

I have recently purchased vu+ duo box and been playing with it all weekend.

Purchased directly from ebay off the main suppliers of these boxes and it came with VIX image installed.

So far I have managed to:

*Update to latest version of VIX
*Installed latest sky boutique so all my channels are in order
*Installed EPG guide for 7 days
*Installed CCcam and have got lines working

However I have a major issue now where I have been trying to get my media files from my mac to be displayed on the VU+ duo box.

I have tried mounting them several times without success.

In the end I spent several hours browsing forums and tried enabling SMB sharing on the mac and adding a new user/pw and setting these to mount on the VU+ box.

I did this and it appears it was starting to mount my files as it was taking longer than normal (movie folder is very big/maybe around 100gig)

Anyway, I left it about 30minutes and it appeared the box had crashed.

Only option was to switch off at the back and re-connect power cord.

Now the VU+ Duo box wont re-start and is stuck on 'OPENVIX' menu/background and just says "LOADING - PLEASE WAIT"

Any Ideas guys, im tearing my hair out here.

My friend told me to specifically avoid linux based boxes where you can tanger with them as they are liable to break, and I have never been to fond of linux in the past (always worked with OSX over windows/linux as it never seems to break even after years of use)

I dont have any USB sticks in the house and I have no TV at all now.

Any IDEAS? Is there a reset button? Remote seems to function but cant get any response on screen?

Thank you in advance, regards, Tony

Larry-G
04-11-12, 23:12
you really do need to have a USB stick or even a Micro SD card with a usb adapter to habd when dealing with these boxes incase you need to reflash the image etc.

judge
04-11-12, 23:16
As pheonix says, you really do need a USB stick if you want to use one of these boxes properly.
Even a cheap £5 4GB one should be enough.

Can you currently FTP into the box?
As for your current problem, all I can suggest is you leave it powered off for 10 minutes & try booting it again.
If that doesn't work, pick up/borrow a USB stick & re-flash, it should be up & runnig again in no time.

Mr. Mister
04-11-12, 23:22
OK.. Firstly.. Your friends are totally wrong and aint got a clue what he is talking about.. It not easy at all to totally break a linux receiver..

You will need a usb stick to flash the box again.. Flashing the box takes about 5 minutes.. then another 5 minutes to install everything back onto your duo..

Have a look here for an Vix image for your Duo..

www.openvix.co.uk

Once page is open.. Click on Vu+ Duo

Then download image 390..

Extreact 290 to root of USB stick.. and follow instructions on this page..

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?3-How-to-flash-a-VU-Duo-using-a-USB-stick

Thats about it.. if you have any problems.. just post here and we will do what we can to help..

notimetochill
05-11-12, 00:12
Got a few usb sticks at work, just nothing in the house at the moment.

will leave box unplugged tonight and try again in morning.

if its still not working I will attempt to reflash tomorrow, hopefully not too much of a job!

In answer to the other question I cant FTP to the box whilst it is still stuck in this boot mode.

Finally thank you for the help guys, appreciate the quick replies.

Hopefully I will be able to re-flash tomorrow without asking any more questions.

Will let you know how I get on.

judge
05-11-12, 00:19
A reflash will have you sorted so, feel free to ask any questions if if get stuck at any stage but should all be straight forward enough.

gpavis
05-11-12, 15:44
Hi Guys,

I have had my box for a few months now, and up until today all was fine. Got an error message saying the box would restart in 10 seconds - though it never did. So I have switched it off for 20 minutes and back on again, but still no joy. I am not getting past the "loading" screen. Any advice?
Please note I am not very technically minded. Cheers.

basilyoung
05-11-12, 17:19
Hi Guys,

I have had my box for a few months now, and up until today all was fine. Got an error message saying the box would restart in 10 seconds - though it never did. So I have switched it off for 20 minutes and back on again, but still no joy. I am not getting past the "loading" screen. Any advice?
Please note I am not very technically minded. Cheers.

please start your own thread, this thread is dedicated to help " notimetochill ", and addtional users with problems will only confuse this thread, Thanks

notimetochill
05-11-12, 20:34
hi there again peeps

as I said ill report back when i got in from the office.

all working fine now! usb stick formatted to fat32, files dragged onto the usb stick.

inserted stick and restarted box. flashed the box then restarted it again. loaded the first time and took me through the setup as if i had just opened the box and switched it on from first purchase.

took a further 10 mins to get the same settings I had before.

Thank you so much to everyone for the help!

now the only worry is trying to map that network drive again!

Mrs has told me to leave it and not bother lol :)

Human 19
05-11-12, 22:13
You could copy your movies onto a removable HDD and then plug it into the box when required.
Saves starting up the computer every time.
I use a transcend removable instead of an internal HDD for the VU+ anyway. Handy since my 1st one is now full and am on my 2nd.
You can also bring it to someone else's house if you wish.
Dead handy in my opinion
Its also handy for removing and plugging into the computer if you want to edit or convert TV programmes

Tkr001
05-11-12, 22:20
Now you have it setup do a settings backup and a full image backup. That way if you reflash you can restore your settings or you can flash the full image backup and all will be intact.