PDA

View Full Version : BBC axeing red button channels?

Conaxthewarrior
04-11-12, 16:20
Hello all.
Anyone got idea as to why the BBC has ceased sending the "red button" channels" on the 28e sat? Do they plan a re-frequency?

Larry-G
04-11-12, 16:31
They have already done it supposedly due to budget cuts, they have cut 7 of the 8 red button streams and now only operate 1 with no plans to bring them back.

added to the fact that they no longer carry the full F1 season etc it was just wasted space costing them money.

Conaxthewarrior
04-11-12, 17:34
Thought as much. No doubt the BBC will proberly need the saved cash to finance the court case they'll be facing re the Jimmy Savill cover up!
So what about the snooker, maybe that'll be scrapped as well - god help us:(

Larry-G
04-11-12, 17:36
Thought as much. No doubt the BBC will proberly need the saved cash to finance the court case they'll be facing re the Jimmy Savill cover up!
So what about the snooker, maybe that'll be scrapped as well - god help us:(

yes it really saddens me to see all of our national sports privatized and moved to sky. i was sick as a pig when they got the cricket then the F1, i just hope they dont try to go after the 6 nations rugby cup, i'll be well pissed off if i have to pay sky to watch that.

Dave-H
04-11-12, 18:11
They've ceased linear broadcasting of all but one of the streams, but the Red Button isn't dead, it's evolving into a web based service

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2012/10/red_button_changes.html

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk 2

Conaxthewarrior
05-11-12, 17:14
A quick resume of that bbc red button explanation link Dave-H sent:-

"BBC Sport output will include Formula One and extended coverage of UK Championship Snooker" .....so at least theres some of this on.....

"the reduction in video streams will have an impact; we won't be able to offer the choice of coverage we have previously and big events will no longer be multi-screen on red button. This will be a disappointment for many viewers"......So why does the british public continue to pay the tv license for - a reduced service? Swindlers.

"Changes to the BBC's Red Button services were first proposed in the BBC's Strategy Review (Putting Quality First)"....Putting what first? Its clearly a reduction of service like a reduction of a town bus service would be inconvnient and less quality to passengers, this whole things a cost cutting measure meaning the BBC still get the same income from licence fee but dont pass it on to the viewing public - total nonsence in my view