PDA

View Full Version : [CrossEPG-Other] flash drive size ?

pazza07
03-11-12, 14:26
Hi all, does my flash drive need to be a certain size to use crossepg ? I have a 1gb one at the mo, just wondering do I need to go and buy a 2 or 4gb before I start, cheers

Larry-G
03-11-12, 14:33
no that should be fine for use with EPG although if you have a HDD installed you could also use that as EPG data is held in live memory so it wont stop the HDD from going to sleep unlike picons which should not be stored on a HDD.

pazza07
03-11-12, 14:36
no that should be fine for use with EPG although if you have a HDD installed you could also use that as EPG data is held in live memory so it wont stop the HDD from going to sleep unlike picons which should not be stored on a HDD.
Will a 1gb be big enough to run EPG and picons ?

Larry-G
03-11-12, 15:04
should be no problem although you can buy a 4gb cruzor blade USB stick for under a fiver.

pazza07
03-11-12, 16:39
should be no problem although you can buy a 4gb cruzor blade USB stick for under a fiver.

From sponsor or elsewhere ?

Stanman
03-11-12, 16:42
Yep from the sponsor http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/USB-Flash-Drives

pazza07
03-11-12, 16:45
Cheers all, thanks for your help.

matty_keane
01-02-13, 17:16
Apologies for hijacking this thread, but I didn't want to post in the sticky at the of this sub-forum.

In the sticky, you are advised not to use Flash memory for the EPG as it will quickly build up

"More info regards Crossepg: -

Running CrossEPG in flash will fill it up verry quickly and cause MAJOR issues, as even just using 28.2 as a data source can will use 60mb on first data pull, and grow each day, one of my receivers just using 28.2 is currently 102mb (this is the CrossEPG database NOT the epg.dat file). "

I currently have the TM-2t which has a large (1GB i think) flash memory. I was wondering would it be ok to use this as the storage for CrossEPG and picons, or is it advisable to use HDD or external memory to avoid any chance of these major issues.

Also a similar question - If i have installed a HDD or external HDD, is it possible to have CrossEPG, picons and recording functions all on the same drive? And if so - do I need to format or wipe the drive in a certain way? I was planning just to use an external 500 GB HDD that I have a few other things stored on at the minute.

Cheers

Stanman
01-02-13, 17:21
Flash for picons is ok but not EPG as if I becomes corrupted could increase know size and use up all the flash.

You should avoid had for icons ad it will be running overtime you Changet channels and could slow down zap time.

josh_g
01-02-13, 17:49
Apologies for hijacking this thread, but I didn't want to post in the sticky at the of this sub-forum.

In the sticky, you are advised not to use Flash memory for the EPG as it will quickly build up

"More info regards Crossepg: -

Running CrossEPG in flash will fill it up verry quickly and cause MAJOR issues, as even just using 28.2 as a data source can will use 60mb on first data pull, and grow each day, one of my receivers just using 28.2 is currently 102mb (this is the CrossEPG database NOT the epg.dat file). "

I currently have the TM-2t which has a large (1GB i think) flash memory. I was wondering would it be ok to use this as the storage for CrossEPG and picons, or is it advisable to use HDD or external memory to avoid any chance of these major issues.

Also a similar question - If i have installed a HDD or external HDD, is it possible to have CrossEPG, picons and recording functions all on the same drive? And if so - do I need to format or wipe the drive in a certain way? I was planning just to use an external 500 GB HDD that I have a few other things stored on at the minute.

Cheers

i think that post means flash memory on the box not a usb stuck whick is also flash memory.. i have a 2gb usb for picons EPG and back ups and it works fine!!!

matty_keane
01-02-13, 18:11
i think that post means flash memory on the box not a usb stuck whick is also flash memory.. i have a 2gb usb for picons EPG and back ups and it works fine!!!

Yes Josh, you are getting what I am saying, maybe my explanation wasn't the best. So what you are saying is if I have a say a 500GB usb drive, I can use this for EPG, picons, and also recording? And are you aware of anything special that needs to be done to the USB drive like formatting, as I have a few files stored on it at present.

Cheers

Stanman
01-02-13, 22:30
It will need to be formatted to EXT to allow you to record to it.