PDA

View Full Version : Transcode on the fly?

bokkie
01-11-12, 15:34
Hi all. I've been waiting patiently for the duo2 to be released, and am getting a bit fed up.
The main reason I want a duo2, is that they are meant to be able to transcode on the fly so you can stream over the net.
Is it, or will it ever be possible on the gigablue quad? My understanding is that the old receivers didn't have enough processor power to do this.
But as the quad is similarly specced to the duo2, can this be done?
Say yes and I'll buy one tomorrow.
Hate missing my rugby when I'm out and about.
Thanks.

rossi2000
01-11-12, 16:24
someone mentioned on here about the transcoding done by a separate chip that could possibly be installed on the duo2.
but its not in the quad.

Trial
01-11-12, 18:58
Hi,
I was the guy who suspected that VU+ uses a separate chip because Marusys (a very big receiver manufacturer) announced a Receiver with transcoding capabilities 2 years ago and they mentioned a separate chip.

The CPU power alone is neither on the DUO2 nor on the Quad enough even for SD.

ciao

bokkie
01-11-12, 20:31
Thanks for your replies. So might it not even be possible with the vu+ duo2? Has it actually been said that the duo2 will transcode on the fly or could it be another marusys receiver, such as the prismcube?

irishchris
01-11-12, 21:08
Straight from the manufacturers own site :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bokkie
01-11-12, 21:34
Oh well, guess I'll have to wait then. Pity 'cause I really like the Quad.

bokkie
01-11-12, 21:37
Looks like it'll be on the solo2 as well :)

swedish cook
01-11-12, 21:53
I get that the quad CPU isn't fast enough to do transcoding on the fly, but is there a way it could be made to transcode certain recordings for later consumption ... thats probably good enough for me, more likely to watch a recording remotely than want to watch live show.

Sicilian
02-11-12, 07:36
Straight from the manufacturers own site :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Still don't say how its going to be done. If its going to have a separate chip.

irishchris
02-11-12, 07:48
Still don't say how its going to be done. If its going to have a separate chip.

no they have not been very forthcoming on that info other than the specs stating its ability to do so. probably a good thing though as it may ward off clones stealing their design before launch :D

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using tapatalk 2

Sicilian
02-11-12, 07:54
no they have not been very forthcoming on that info other than the specs stating its ability to do so. probably a good thing though as it may ward off clones stealing their design before launch :D

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using tapatalk 2

I just hope its not a mis-understanding of the chip capabilities.

bokkie
02-11-12, 08:57
However they do it, if it works, it'll be brilliant. Maybe gigablue should look into doing it on future quads, because it'll be a huge selling point.