PDA

View Full Version : This is exactly why you should NEVER buy a cloned satellite receiver.

Larry-G
31-10-12, 19:19
I got my ferrari vu+ duo today and when i put my wireless bridge into the box the box started smoking and now the usb ports at the back no longer work!

the rest of the box is working fine so is the usb port at the front but it seems the back 2 ports are dead, is this just a blown fuse as such that i can get repaired at a computer/tv shop or is it knackered now?

i know i just got it today and i could send it back but its from china and i dont want the hassle which will most likley get me nowhere anyway, plus iv added a internal harddrive which will probabily void any valid warrenty.

as i said rest of box is fine, its just 2 usb ports at the back.

thanks.

no clone haters please simply couldnt afford a genuine

The above is a post i just came across on another forum, and let me say that i take absolutely no pleasure in this users misfortune.

The thing that scares the absolute living ~ insert expletive here ~ out of me, is what would have happened if this thing had gone up in smoke in the early hours of the morning while this guy and his family were asleep ?.

Is it really worth dying in a house fire just to save a few quid by buying this trash ?.

pooface
31-10-12, 19:24
Just for a bit more to add in regards to fire... A local school near where I work, set alight yesterday afternoon and burnt to the ground... All due to a single spark from some work one of the roofers was doing! Something so small crates such a huge fire, it's scary to think what consequences could have come from it...

Also, I'm sure that I read somewhere a while back, that come boxes boss all house insurance. So, even if the box set alight, and the whole house burnt down, you would not be covered!

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

marty
31-10-12, 19:26
I've heard stories of DM800 clone PSU's spontaneously combusting.

Seems extreme but clones "could" kill under extreme circumstances :nono:

marty
31-10-12, 19:28
Just for a bit more to add in regards to fire... A local school near where I work, set alight yesterday afternoon and burnt to the ground... All due to a single spark from some work one of the roofers was doing! Something so small crates such a huge fire, it's scary to think what consequences could have come from it...

Also, I'm sure that I read somewhere a while back, that come boxes boss all house insurance. So, even if the box set alight, and the whole house burnt down, you would not be covered!

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

Alot of clone stuff has fake "CE" certification marks on them.

Laptop power PSU's can be well dodgy too :(

Larry-G
31-10-12, 19:32
I've heard stories of DM800 clone PSU's spontaneously combusting.

Seems extreme but clones "could" kill under extreme circumstances :nono:

unfortunately it does not even have to be extreme circumstances.

There are dozens of reports of cloned Duo PSU's going up sometimes very violently, by just inserting a HDD, something these boxes are supposed to be built specifically for. Dont get me wrong i am not saying original receivers never go wrong but these clones have absolutely no quality control and by using one your risking your and your loved ones lives, is it worth the risk for a saving of under £100 ?

hilly
31-10-12, 19:38
i thought i had learnt the hard way by losing money with a clone but after reading this i think ive learnt the easy/best way.

wullboy
31-10-12, 21:49
NOT all clones are fire hazard, yes the cheap & nasty duo seem to be, but there is more than clone duo`s out there, and Ive never heard of any such fires with clone dreamboxes, so like i say, not ALL clones are fire boxes........................

Likvid
04-11-12, 02:00
They deserve what they get, if they are too cheap to buy clones they are on their own.

judge
04-11-12, 02:03
They deserve what they get, if they are too cheap to buy clones they are on their own.

Nobody deserves to buy a fire hazard & folks are still buying these thinking they're original boxes or without any knowledge of the clone market...

ColinB
21-12-12, 18:51
No Update on the Blackbury fire, that torched a kids bedroom in the US

Alec
21-12-12, 19:21
Methinks It does not make sense to buy a clone DUO, because there is not a enough profit in this without the clone's cutting corners. This is borne out with many of them having plenty of problems. Dream box's on the other hand are over priced, and there are many happy clone owners, but even with them, there are rouges out there ready to rip people off. If you are inexperience it really only makes sense to buy from reputable dealers, like W of Sat.