PDA

View Full Version : Vix & picons

Mr. Mister
12-09-10, 15:56
Hi all..

Is there a how-to for installing the picons on the VIX image ??

Thanks

grtmoby
12-09-10, 16:04
just create a folder on ur usb (preferable) or hdd and then put all ur picons in it.

restart the box and it should be working

Mr. Mister
12-09-10, 17:03
Hi grtmoby..

Thanks for the help..

Just one thing..

Are there no picons for the HD channels.. ??

Thanks

grtmoby
12-09-10, 17:07
no there are and of all kinds :)

where did u get ur picons and the channel reference is important

Mr. Mister
12-09-10, 17:15
got them from here buddy..

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?1368-a-few-fixed-picons-Astra-28.2/page8

grtmoby
12-09-10, 17:17
then i think it might be the same issue pooface had, the channel reference is not the same on the picon as the channel

you can solve this using bouquet suite editor

canthackit
12-09-10, 17:54
they all work on the ones i posted.

micscave
13-09-10, 10:02
Hey all
I'm using the VIX image, which I really love by the way. I combined the picon folder which installs with the image on the HDD with canthackit's latest revision. I've put this folder onto a fat 32 formated usb stick, there is nothing else on it. I deleted the folder off the HDD and rebooted. All was well untill I had to reboot after the box froze and now when I change channels I get the following message "Creating Hardlink to Timeshift file failed! Filesystems like FAT32 do not support hardlinks! [Errno 1]operation not permitted"

Any ideas welcome
Many thanks
micscave

andyblac
13-09-10, 10:17
Hey all
I'm using the VIX image, which I really love by the way. I combined the picon folder which installs with the image on the HDD with canthackit's latest revision. I've put this folder onto a fat 32 formated usb stick, there is nothing else on it. I deleted the folder off the HDD and rebooted. All was well untill I had to reboot after the box froze and now when I change channels I get the following message "Creating Hardlink to Timeshift file failed! Filesystems like FAT32 do not support hardlinks! [Errno 1]operation not permitted"

Any ideas welcome
Many thanks
micscave

need to format the usb stick to ext2/3.

micscave
13-09-10, 10:43
Thanks for the quick reply andy, can you recommend a program to do this please ? I'm using windows 7.

Many thanks

Stanman
13-09-10, 11:10
FAO: Andy
Adny why do you have to format as ext2/3 in VIX image? I am using DE and FAT32 works fine. Does this mean if I change to VIX I can only use a USB stick if formatted to ext2/3?

pooface
13-09-10, 12:12
I'm guessing micscave is trying to timeshift on to his usb stick, as it specifies timeshift as being the problem...

You will be able to use fat32 for just picons, but because there is a filesize limit of 4gb on usb sticks, I'm guessing that there is a check for timeshifting whether it's ext2/3 or not. If not, then it will give the error.

Also, to format the usb, you will need to use telnet. First unmount the usb stick (i.e. "umount /media/usb"), then you will need to format the partition (i.e. "mkfs.ext2 -m 0 /dev/sdb1"). The command given assumes your usb stick is located at /dev/sdb1, but this could be /dev/sda1 depending on your hdd. It also specifies that 0% will be used for super user to allow you to have the whole usb stick...

micscave
13-09-10, 12:26
I'm guessing micscave is trying to timeshift on to his usb stick, as it specifies timeshift as being the problem...

You will be able to use fat32 for just picons, but because there is a filesize limit of 4gb on usb sticks, I'm guessing that there is a check for timeshifting whether it's ext2/3 or not. If not, then it will give the error.

Also, to format the usb, you will need to use telnet. First unmount the usb stick (i.e. "umount /media/usb"), then you will need to format the partition (i.e. "mkfs.ext2 -m 0 /dev/sdb1"). The command given assumes your usb stick is located at /dev/sdb1, but this could be /dev/sda1 depending on your hdd. It also specifies that 0% will be used for super user to allow you to have the whole usb stick...

Ayup pooface
No mate, I'm not trying to timeshift. I just followed the instructions in this thread to put picons onto a usb stick. Once the folder "picon" was put onto the stick I deleted the same folder from the root of the installed HDD, plugged the usb stick in, rebooted and this is the message that keeps popping up every time I change channel. So this reference to timeshift is rather confusing me. So do i need to format my stick to Ext 2/3 and if so can this be done on my pc rather than telnet ?

Cheers

dfdream
13-09-10, 12:56
Micsave the error "Creating Hardlink to Timeshift file failed! Filesystems like FAT32 do not support hardlinks! [Errno 1]operation not permitted" is an error from permanent timeshift.
So something has changed to bring this error up.
Check the following do you have timeshift enabled (Menu>Setup>System>Timeshift Settings is it enabled or not)
Check the default location of the recordings (Menu>Setup>System>Recordings I think) and see if the movie folder or timeshift locations are set to HDD or USB folder.

These will help sus this out.

D

micscave
13-09-10, 14:14
Ok I've put the usb back in my pc and these are now on the stick (all I put on there was picon folder with picons inside), folder : usr and 2 files epg.dat & timeshift.qKbM0n.
I've put the picon folder back onto the HDD and everything works fine again. So I'm guessing if you plug a usb stick into the back of the box using VIX image it auto locates it for timeshift & epg. Probebly wrong though as I'm a bit out of my depth here. I can't remember this happening on blackhole though.

Cheers

dfdream
13-09-10, 15:42
micsave,
As said above try the settings for recordings or if different in VIX check in the timeshift menu (I dont have VIX installed yet due to other issue)

Check the default location of the recordings (Menu>Setup>System>Recordings I think) and see if the movie folder or timeshift locations are set to HDD or USB folder.