PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered my quad today BUT

ultrasharp
29-10-12, 21:53
Steph emailed me giving me the option of having my money back based upon driver issues. Now this box appealed to me based on price and also option of 4 tuners but i dont want to waste the oppurtunity of getting my money back if u feel all the small issues wont be fixed. I havnt followed any threads of gigablue boxes in general so im wondering if its worth the plunge into the unknown.

At the moment my setup is vu duo, 1.2 dish with motor and usals and i cant fault it 1 bit. Only reason im looking for a new box is more tuners to keep the wife happy recording her soaps and stuff. Please be honest whether i should spend this money and whether gigablue will fix these issues as if theres any uncertainty id rather save more money for a ultimo or duo 2.

I just want to be able to watch channels freeze free and be able to watch bbc1 and record itv etc. Thanks in advance for advise

Stanman
29-10-12, 22:01
The issues are known and that is why i believe Steph has offered the money back as the box is not 100% yet.

GB have released drivers last week which have fixed some of the issues but others still need doing and no doubt updates will be done - they have invested a lot of money and so wont want to see their stock sitting in warehouses.

Have a read of the opinions of Marty and other users who have the box and their impression.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?22569-Power-of-the-quad

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?22111-GiGablue-Quad-%96-First-impressions

As to wether you take him up on the offer it really is up to you as could find GB release the next batch of driver updates this week which fixes everything.

For the price, you will not get a better speced box.

Larry-G
29-10-12, 22:36
as pointed out by stanman GigaBlue have so far released a number of driver updates to fix most of the issues raised and will no doubt fix the outstanding ones in short order. So far GigaBlue have shown a great deal amount of commitment with this and their previous receivers to continually develop for and fix any issue raised.

If i were in the market for a new receiver i would personally have no problem buying the GigaBlue Quad in it's current form.

mauri
29-10-12, 23:19
I have my GigaBlue for just 3 days I can confirm that the small issues it has, are in reality very small. I have been a happy VuDuo owner for 2 years, but the experience with GB is far more exciting than Duo. To me this is like considering to jump on Windows 7 or stay on Vista... ;)

twol
29-10-12, 23:21
Steph emailed me giving me the option of having my money back based upon driver issues. Now this box appealed to me based on price and also option of 4 tuners but i dont want to waste the oppurtunity of getting my money back if u feel all the small issues wont be fixed. I havnt followed any threads of gigablue boxes in general so im wondering if its worth the plunge into the unknown.

At the moment my setup is vu duo, 1.2 dish with motor and usals and i cant fault it 1 bit. Only reason im looking for a new box is more tuners to keep the wife happy recording her soaps and stuff. Please be honest whether i should spend this money and whether gigablue will fix these issues as if theres any uncertainty id rather save more money for a ultimo or duo 2.

I just want to be able to watch channels freeze free and be able to watch bbc1 and record itv etc. Thanks in advance for advise
I don,t think that either you or your wife are ready to be bleeding edge hardware geeks, also I am not aware that 4 sat tuners will be available now, I heard a few months. Wait for the box to be sorted first:eek:

Mr. Mister
30-10-12, 01:34
I have a Quad.. And love it.. Its will be the best box i have when the few remaining issues have been fixed.. and as you can see from my sig.. i got most of boxes..

I say.. Dont wait.. and dont take your money back.. Take the Quad.. You looking at a matter of days before the issues will be fixed with new drivers..

Gigablue done a fantastic job with the SE and UE in a very short time.. to fix all those issues.. So i see no reason why they will not do the same with their flag-ship product..

As far as the plug and play satellite tuners go.. Yes.. We will have to wait a few months.. Prolly the 1st quarter of 2013.. ( As told by Stef.. ).. But i can tell you now.. All my Vu+ will be for sale.. as soon as the plug and play satellite tuners as available.. and all will be replaced by Gigablue Quads..

I say buy the Gigablue Quad now.. and get the head start on the others who will wait..

judge
30-10-12, 01:43
I'd guess Stef is just being cautious by offering you your money back.
From all reports here, it seems like a great box.
It does have a few issues as all new boxes do, but those issues are known & actively being worked on.

Buying a new box, the quad would be my box of choice for now...

pooface
30-10-12, 07:04
Just to chip in...

Ultimately, the choice is yours... You have the choice of waiting it out until the new year, and buying it, and other 2 tuners all together at the same time. Our, take a chance now, enjoy it the same way as the duo, then in a few months, by the new tuners... That way, you also get to post in installments :p

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

75mak
30-10-12, 17:49

IMO, you have an easy choice. When you weigh things up at the moment what would you gain by keeping the box? and what could you potentially lose.

As you already have a duo and the current gigablue quad can only have max 2 sat tuners. what guarantee do you have the tuners will be released in january? on the other hand there is a possibility, albeit small, that some issues with the quad don't get fixed. by waiting you also have the opportunity to buy any possible later hardware revisions. just like the duo was released they had he one which could wake from deep standby to record. likewise why do you have to buy the box now just to test it. you van buy it when it's fully functional as it should be and let the people selling it test the product.

so when you weigh things up, there is far more to lose than their is to gain by buying it immediately. Personally, i feel it will be the box to buy even when the duo2 is released. but not just now, it's just not worthy a final prodcut yet. it seems it was released prematurely to get ahead of the competition i.e. duo2. by returning the product you get your money back ready to invest perhaps in the same box at a later time. on the other hand you could come across a major problem in this period and remain with a box which just doesn't cut it - however unlikely that maybe.

if you are desperate for the extra tuners, all i would say is just try and be patient for a few months. When the duo2 is released it will change the sat receiver climate. prices of older boxes will drop, and that includes the ultimo. for the sake of a few months is it really worth missing out on one of the biggest upgrades in the sat market for years? why buy an ultimo which in 2 months time might lose significant value and which will probably be very much snail paced compared to the duo2 and (fixed) quad?

Likvid
30-10-12, 18:03
It's always better to wait as the software development will mature, you can look back at Vu+ Duo and they revised the box for the sleeping issues, it's pretty mature today but the CPU is old and slow compared to 800HD Quad.

Also i like the look and design of the Gigablue better than upcoming Duo2, the good thing about Gigablue is the external PSU which have two benefits, one is that the box will be running cooler and secondly that if the PSU fails it will be easy to repair for the manufacturer, you don't need to send the whole box back to the shop.

XabiX
30-10-12, 18:41
no way I ll ask for my money back. =))

Sicilian
30-10-12, 19:00
no way I ll ask for my money back. =))

I wouldn't give up my Quad, the main issue right now is the multiple encrypted recordings issue, which will be fixed soon :)

XabiX
30-10-12, 19:07
guys is there a post on the first flash procedure?
Because i lost my vu+ uno when I forgot to upgrade the FGPA before upgrading the image just want to be sure before putting the VIX image.
I searched in the sicky thraeds but didn't find anything so I assume it's just usb fat 32 + gigablue directory and boot?

thanks

Larry-G
30-10-12, 19:19
guys is there a post on the first flash procedure?
Because i lost my vu+ uno when I forgot to upgrade the FGPA before upgrading the image just want to be sure before putting the VIX image.
I searched in the sicky thraeds but didn't find anything so I assume it's just usb fat 32 + gigablue directory and boot?

thanks

could you create a new thread for that as forgetting to flash the FPGA should not cause any damage, turning the receiver off while flashing the FPGA is a different thing but not flashing it should not cuase any trouble other than tuner related.

jerry2
30-10-12, 21:00
What is FPGA?

Larry-G
30-10-12, 21:16
FPGA is not something you need to worry about for the Quad, it's a method of upgrading the firmware for the chip that control's the tuner card(s) on the Vu+ Uno and Ultimo.

XabiX
30-10-12, 23:21
I have created a thead for that hopping that it could help the others.
Please give me your notes if I have said something wrong based on this latest posts.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?22610-How-to-flash-your-GiaBlue-HD800-QUAD

THANKS