PDA

View Full Version : divx playback

wolfrick
30-03-10, 21:16
Hi!
I just heard that there are some problems regarding divx playback...
can anybody confirm it?
thanx

Sicilian
30-03-10, 21:53
Yes the media player does need improving. It's not perfect just yet.

dfdream
30-03-10, 22:18
Wolfrick,

I use the media player alot.

There are 2 fundemental flaws.

1 - The player is poor. the media player deluxe seems more stable but lacking on basic media player features.

2 - Picture quality. Ive played 30-40 different formats and qualities of files and the only conclusion is there is no pattern as to what plays well or not. Files over 720p look stretched and pixelated.
But also alot are fine.
If you have a HD media player (I have a popcorn hour) this will not replace it.
Maybe in time. If it can play HD TV it should be OK for HD media.

Twigman
31-03-10, 09:52
The more I read, the less enthused I am about this box....

Sicilian
31-03-10, 09:55

Why? Predominantly your buying a dual tuner HD satellite receiver, not a media player. As a satellite receiver its fantastic and does the job very well.

Twigman
31-03-10, 10:13

Why? Predominantly your buying a dual tuner HD satellite receiver, not a media player. As a satellite receiver its fantastic and does the job very well.

I know and primarily it is a sat receiver and by all accounts a very good one.
And I do have a dedicated PC for 'media streaming' and yes it's very new and the nature of this open source environment is that everything is in permanent beta.....
Maybe it's just that I don't have the required level of inate geekness required to overcome all the supposed shortcomings?
I'm very capable at building PCs and the like but Linux is alien to me....I am looking forward to the challenge.
I suppose it's not like buying a major brand consumer device [Sony/Samsung/Pioneer/Panasonic etc etc] which invariable do what they say on the tin?

btw I have had an e-mail back from vu support..even if it is only to say they are looking into my query...[about the passing of undecoded multichannel audio via HDMI]