PDA

View Full Version : Channel Master Dish

roystheboy
23-10-12, 12:09
Hello please could you help me ,I have a Channel Mastdish 1.mtr and I want a bigger dish, have been quoted £250 to get a bigger dish ,what I would like to know is could I change the dish myself are the fitting on these dishes the same ,I mean the bolts behind the dish would it be just unbolt the old dish and put the new dish back on ,hope you can help cheers guys take care

basilyoung
23-10-12, 15:29
I dont know, is the short answer, but more info is needed,

with the current setup, what are you using?

ie, what type of motor are you using

is it wallmounted?

are you using a V Box?

what size dish are you thinking of?

roystheboy
23-10-12, 17:52
Hi thanks for your reply I got a Channel Master 1.0 m dish and I want a Channel Master 1.2m dish its got a 12 ins motor arm and it is connected to a TM V Box then to the receiver and is wall mounted hope that helps thanks take care

roystheboy
23-10-12, 22:32
Hi would I need to re aline the new dish after fitting cheers take care

Ev0
23-10-12, 23:54
You could just swap the dish face (with arms) over, i.e undo the 4 bolts from dish face to polar mount, and bolt the new 1.2m dish face on (assuming you have the clearence around the dish for the extra size).

12" actuator is probably a bit small to be 100% reliable, but if it needs changing to an 18" it shouldn't be too much of an issue (again assuming you have clearence for the longer jack arm).

You might need to tweak the alignment of the dish slightly, but unlikely if it is well setup already.

roystheboy
24-10-12, 10:03
Hi my dish was set up by a guy from a Satellite shop it wasnt long ago he changed the actuator for me ,and he told me that it would cost me £250 for a new dish to be fitted I dont know about these things I just thought I could do it myself and save a few bob but it all seems a bit more complicated to me ,do you think I should leave it alone ,would I gain a lot by changing the dish hope you can help and advise me cheers guys take care best regards

portbhoy
24-10-12, 10:34
It is likely that you would gain a little more with a dish upgrade depending where you are in the country but it is unlikely that you would gain more satellites just more from the satellites on the fringe of your reception. What I think you need to ask yourself is are there specific satellites or channels you are trying to get or are you fiddling for the sake of fiddling?

basilyoung
24-10-12, 11:13
Hi my dish was set up by a guy from a Satellite shop it wasnt long ago he changed the actuator for me ,and he told me that it would cost me £250 for a new dish to be fitted I dont know about these things I just thought I could do it myself and save a few bob but it all seems a bit more complicated to me ,do you think I should leave it alone ,would I gain a lot by changing the dish hope you can help and advise me cheers guys take care best regards

@£250, unless thats dish and parts included, he is having a laugh, although the 1.2 dish is very heavy, but from reading your post, the 1mtr dish for most peeps is fine, and even with a feed horn the 1.2 dish wont give you much more

I take it, you can get 1 west ( BBC World ) if you can, what signal strengths are you getting, and where are you located approx? you should be getting close to 100% on 1 west BBC World

Ev0
24-10-12, 11:39
@£250, unless thats dish and parts included, he is having a laugh, although the 1.2 dish is very heavy, but from reading your post, the 1mtr dish for most peeps is fine, and even with a feed horn the 1.2 dish wont give you much more

I take it, you can get 1 west ( BBC World ) if you can, what signal strengths are you getting, and where are you located approx? you should be getting close to 100% on 1 west BBC World

The dish face isn't that heavy, I doubt there is much between a 1m and 1.2m dish face. It's the polar mount and actuator thats the heavy part imo and that "shouldn't" need to be changed.

roystheboy
24-10-12, 13:39
Hi guys you are very helpfull what I need is the Footie on the Viasat channel last week the Footie match I wanted was all breaking up so I asked this Satellite dealer what was wrong and he said I needed a larger dish and I would be O.K. now he says there is no Gaurentees with it I dont want to pay and it wont work ,I am down in Swansea South Wales I really dont know what to do thanks again take care best regards

Ev0
24-10-12, 13:44
Hi guys you are very helpfull what I need is the Footie on the Viasat channel last week the Footie match I wanted was all breaking up so I asked this Satellite dealer what was wrong and he said I needed a larger dish and I would be O.K. now he says there is no Gaurentees with it I dont want to pay and it wont work ,I am down in Swansea South Wales I really dont know what to do thanks again take care best regards

I have you tried adjusting the position of your dish a few clicks either way (I am assuming you are using a v-box of some kind to move your dish) to see if you can get a slightly better signal than you currently get ?

If you can get viasat already, but with a weak signal then a larger dish will help.

I have a friend in the same area as you, that has a 1.2m channel master dish and he can get viasat.

roystheboy
24-10-12, 15:27
Thanks thats a great help should I go ahead and get it fitted then because £250 is a lot if it dont work cheers guys take care

Ev0
24-10-12, 15:30
Thanks thats a great help should I go ahead and get it fitted then because £250 is a lot if it dont work cheers guys take care

As basilyoung said unless that price includes the dish there taking the you know what.

My advice would be get on ebay find a channel master 1.2m dish for sale (you only need the face and arms anyway really) and swap the dish face over with the help of a mate.

roystheboy
25-10-12, 10:12
Thanks again I think ill get this Satellite Engineer to fit it because if anything went wrong I wouldnt know what to do ,and it mite need to be reset or something ,but he still says its a 15% chance it wont work thanks again take care

roystheboy
25-10-12, 22:30
Hi guys I had a look behind my dish and it says its a Mold no.1.oM-02 is that a 1.2 mtre or a 1.0 mtre I am not sure please can you help thanks take care

Ev0
25-10-12, 22:38
I would say thats 1.0M version no.2

basilyoung
25-10-12, 23:39
if you do go for the 1.2, it would help if you get a FEED HORN as well,

roystheboy
26-10-12, 08:54
whats a feed horn what do it look like, never herd of it cheers guys thanks a lot take care

roystheboy
26-10-12, 18:17
Hi guys I have decided to go for the Channel Master 1.2mtre Dish what I would like to know, on the Dish at the end of the poles there is a plastic piece that clamps the LNB on does that come with the Dish because if not ill have to keep the one thats on my 1.mtre dish, and I hope this Dish will improve my signal thanks take care

basilyoung
26-10-12, 19:27
Hi guys I have decided to go for the Channel Master 1.2mtre Dish what I would like to know, on the Dish at the end of the poles there is a plastic piece that clamps the LNB on does that come with the Dish because if not ill have to keep the one thats on my 1.mtre dish, and I hope this Dish will improve my signal thanks take care

the dish should come complete with the LNB holder

as far as the feedhorn goes have a look here

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?12326-Invacom-c120-quad-lnb-qdf-031&highlight=feedhorn

roystheboy
27-10-12, 09:39
Hi guys do you think that I am doing the right thing by getting a bigger dish would I gain a lot I am very confused ,also the guy I am getting it from said he would take my 1.mtre dish for nothing I dont know what to do as I dont want this dish hanging around if I do get this new dish ,hope you guys can ease my mind because I am going nuts ,cheers guys take care

Rob van der Does
27-10-12, 10:22
It's really up to you: the larger the dish the more the gain (i.e. better reception of very weak channels). But the drawback is: the more difficult is aligning of the dish (the larger the dish, the smaller the cone, hence the larger gain. And a small cone must be pointed very exact to the satellite, otherwise you will even receive less).

basilyoung
27-10-12, 11:30
the dish you have, if its fairly new, and the installer fitted it for you in the first place, I think you should be asking him a few questions

and you need to research the cost of your dish, intended dish, and feedhorn cost, also if your existing wall mounts are ok for the new dish, and also the likely hood of dish shift in bad weather

roystheboy
27-10-12, 11:46
Hi the same guy fitted my !.mtre Dish about 10 years ago its fine the wall mount is fine to so no problem there and the motor is fairly new ,so all he is going to do is take the old dish off and fit and realine the new one ,he told me the cost of a new 1.2 mtre Channel Master Dish is £210 so he is chargeing me £40 to fit it as I can not do it myself hope I am doing the right thing ,cheers guys you are most helpfull take care

roystheboy
27-10-12, 12:00
Hello again sorry for all these Questions but got another problem I got a TM 800 HD receiver and its connected to a TM -VBox my problem is when I press the receiver to go to standby the VBox should also go to standby but it doesnt ,is there anything can be done to it, as it use to work fine with my old receiver I dont understand as there is no Instructions with the TM 800 HD receiver hope you can help thanks take care

roystheboy
27-10-12, 15:31
Hi guys I can get all Viasat and TV2sport all that I need today on this 1.mtre dish whats up must be this clear day what you think cheers take care

Ev0
27-10-12, 17:02
A 1m channel master dish isn't worth a huge amount of money, however I wouldn't pay a dealer there full asking price for a new dish and installation and then hand over the old dish as if there doing you a favour taking it away.

Either offer it to them as payment for installing the new dish, or put it on ebay.

Failing that i'll get my mate that lives near you to come and collect it lol

And yes a clear day, or even time of day / night can make a big difference with what satellites / channels you can receive with any size dish.

roystheboy
27-10-12, 19:44
Ahh the channel has broken up again guess I need that 1.2mtre dish after all never mind should be better than I got cheers guys take care

roystheboy
28-10-12, 09:54
Hello Guys sorry for bothering you all the time but this is my problem,yesterday I was on the Sat Sirius Viasat Package and channel TV2Sport and watched Q.P.R. with a perfect Pic at 67 % signal but just as the game finished the pic all broke up and was unwatchable but the signal was still 67% thiis is really baffling me do I need a bigger dish or what hope you can help and put me out of my misery thanks guys take care best regards

jrbmw
28-10-12, 13:30
The picture breaking up is due to the footprint of the satellite.I have the same problem. I have a 1.0m channel master dish too. As the day goes on the signal gets weaker towards the evening and increases early morning. Idont think a 1.2 metre dish will solve this .Channel master dont make dishes anymore so hold on to your 1.0 metre one if you replace it

roystheboy
28-10-12, 14:03
thanks thats really helpfull I got a perfect pic now this time of day on all channels ,but nothing works before 11.30 in the mornig and goes off again about 4.30 pm its doing my head in my Sat guy says I need a bigger dish costing me £250 I dont mind that just as long it work ,thanks again take care

Larry-G
28-10-12, 14:10
if memory serves this bird is so close to the level of the horizon that from the uk it appears to dip below it in the evenings, resulting in your loss of picture. There really is not much if any thing you can do about it.

jrbmw
28-10-12, 14:15
Many of the channels on 4.8e are also on 1w which doesent have the the footprint problems,try them

roystheboy
28-10-12, 17:16
what sat is that one Thor is it could I get TV 2sport on that thanks take care

Likvid
04-11-12, 02:08
Hi thanks for your reply I got a Channel Master 1.0 m dish and I want a Channel Master 1.2m dish its got a 12 ins motor arm and it is connected to a TM V Box then to the receiver and is wall mounted hope that helps thanks take care

Get the Channel Master 1.8m in the sales section on this forum, he said he will bin it if no one buys it.

Likvid
04-11-12, 02:09

12 inch actuator is too short, i have the CM 1.2m dish and i can say 18 inch is the perfect size.

mynameis
18-11-12, 12:48
Hi the channelmaster dish are heavy especialy the 1.2mtr and larger dish the do require a heavy duty polarmount .the best combo was with the jeager smr1224 h2h motor unfortuantly they are difficult to source now. i would go for the light orbial 1mtr dish and diseqc motor with inverto black ultra lnb. works up here in the norheast even beter at your location.