PDA

View Full Version : Homeplugs network setup advice - Master socket?

skittle7
22-10-12, 21:55
Hi,

When I setup my Gigablue box in my bedroom upstairs, I moved the router from the dining room downstairs to the room next to mine so I could hardwire from the router to my box directly.

However, I've noticed performance issues with the Wifi and my father is complaining that the internet drops out far too much as compared to when the router was in the dining room.

The dining room is the room closest to the road and the signal seemed better so I thought this was the Master socket (strongest signal). However, when looking round the house, the Master socket seems to be in another room upstairs in another bedroom. Strange? Does the master socket really make a difference to the performance?

I'm thinking of buying the Technomate 200 Homeplugs from the sponser and having the router back in the dining room and having the other plug upstairs in my room..

What do you people recommend, considering my setup?

Thanks in advance

Larry-G
23-10-12, 06:32
Ideally the router should be connected directly to the master socket and the dropouts very likely could be as a result of using a slave socket.

As for homeplugs I personally have never used them but I do know a fair few people who do and none seem to have any complaints.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

skittle7
23-10-12, 10:00
Right, I think that's enough for me.

Gonna buy some homeplugs and try them out. Feed my new hobby haha ;)

baz135
23-10-12, 10:35
Just to reassure you I use homeplugs both in Spain and UK without any problems. http://www.world-of-satellite.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Rob van der Does
23-10-12, 17:33
The results with homeplugs are very much dependant on the local installation: especially important is that all outlets used must be on the same phase.

Stanman
23-10-12, 19:24
Using homeplugs here and they run fine, two as slaves and one as master never had any problem.

As long as all the sockets are on the same fusebox you will be OK.

Rob van der Does
23-10-12, 19:44
The results with homeplugs are very much dependant on the local installation: especially important is that all outlets used must be on the same phase.

Using homeplugs here and they run fine, two as slaves and one as master never had any problem.
As long as all the sockets are on the same fusebox you will be OK.
Is 'same fusebox' in the UK the same as what I meant to say? I ask that because in my fusebox (in the Netherlands) I have all three phases.

zappahey
23-10-12, 20:04
UK houses usually only have single phase supply so, yes, effectively the same thing.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2