PDA

View Full Version : Setup help required please

Redrooster
19-10-12, 18:50
Hi Guys,
I'm in need of a little help and support please.

Although I have a fully motorised system I have just bought a Gigablue Quad from WOS to replace my old Echostar 3600IP.

To be totally honest, I am right at the bottom of the learning curve when it comes to Linux boxes so I am looking for a simple setup starting from the basics.

Searching around I realise I need to download and install a few things but at the moment I'm looking for basic guidance as to what to initially install and in what order to get the box setup for use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated at this stage.

many thanks

Red

Stanman
19-10-12, 19:00
What image is on the box, if VIX than it will be relatively easy to get uou going.

basilyoung
19-10-12, 19:02
I know very little about the Giga blue units, but the unit would of come with a working image, ( operating / user interface )

There are several "basic areas" that you need to understand, and its best to start with one, then move to the next basic thing

you first need to get the unit moving the motor perhaps, so your tuner configs need sorting sorting out first, along with a channel list

others might have a different opinion,

so is your set up, Motor only, or do you have a second dish?

also I will see what relivent "stickys" are available

and welcome to the forum

Stanman
19-10-12, 19:05
Sorry ignore my post, blonde moment, VIX is not yet out for the quad

Redrooster
19-10-12, 19:14
Thanks guys,
Wow, that was quick !!
At the moment the box is still in the box, unopened!!
I assume with it coming from WOS that it may have the Vix image installed?
My motorised setup has a 1m dish with a Jaeger 36v motor, so I've also purchased a Vbox to plug in to control the motor/dish.
Thats as far as I've got so far, thought I'd start asking the questions before I plug it all together and just go one step at a time to learn?
I'll set up the system tomorrow and get the dish moving first.

Thanks again, I'll report back when I've got things connected.

Red

basilyoung
19-10-12, 19:31
as far as the v-box goes, I can help you there, but not tonight, and its actually quite easy

MrMister ( a MOD ) with luck will get involved, as he is upto speed on this unit

Redrooster
20-10-12, 14:51
Hi Guys,
Ok, I've connected everything up, and also powered up, so everything seems ready for setting up.

Redrooster
21-10-12, 20:06
I've had a go at setting the box up today and hit my first obstacle, after downloading the latest openmips and loading the Gigablue folder onto the root of my USB stick (FAT32) and inserting into the front usb before powering on, The message I got when I powered on was that it could not read the files on that medium?
I went into setup> device manager and it recognized the stick ok. Am I doing something wrong here or am I missing something else?

Thanks for any help

Redrooster
22-10-12, 21:34
I said I was at the bottom of the learning curve !!
I was powering on from standby, as soon as I powered from the mains it worked :)

Next step is to configure the box to the V-box positioner, any ideas anyone?

Red

basilyoung
22-10-12, 21:39
is the V box already setup? as in what sats are setup on the v box? if none please state so

Redrooster
22-10-12, 21:50
Hi mate,

No sats set up on it at all, just looped to the receiver, connected to motor, switched on and now shows 0000 on the display and then goes to standby when the receiver is switched off.

thanks.

P.S. My dish position is currently aimed at Hotbird 13 deg

Redrooster
22-10-12, 22:01
Is it best to use the v-Box as a stand alone positioner rather than using the receiver to position?

basilyoung
22-10-12, 22:11
ok...the way I use my setup is simple

1 west I save as position 001
13 east as position 13
and so on

this is done on both the reciever and v box

so as you are on 13 east, and assuming the dish is correctly aligned

on the receiver go menu setup tuner config, set to advanced ( the tuner that is connected to the v box )

to be cont shortly

basilyoung
22-10-12, 22:21
ok part 2

on the unit, @ advanced tuner config

Satellite set to 13 east
set it to DiSEqC mode 1.2
set USALs to no
stored position 13

then for now, go to top of list again,

change sat from 13 east to say 28 east
again set USALs to no
and and change stored position to 28

hit OK, this will save the 2 sat we have set up

you can if you want do this for all the sats you need

following the formula above

you the on the v box need to save the dishes current position to 13 or 013

to be cont

basilyoung
22-10-12, 22:33
once the above has been done

assuming you have channel listings already, select a fta channel on 28 east

then via the v box, nudge the dish east until you get a signal / piccy ( 19 east has very simular settings to 28 east )

alternitly use sat finder in service searching, and set it to 28 east ( make sure its set to the tuner you are using )

once you have a piccy/strong signal, save it on your v box as 28 or 028

your unit should now move the dish from 28 to 13 east and vice versa

you need to follow this procedure on all other sats ie

on unit go to tuner config..add 19 east, disable USALs, save position as 19 and so on

Redrooster
23-10-12, 19:01
Many thanks my friend, I've just walked in had my dinner and then read this, I've got company coming tonight so it may be tomorrow night before I get chance to have a go.

Really appreciate your help, thank you.

regards

Red

Redrooster
25-10-12, 19:11
Many thanks, that's worked a treat, cheers.

I've had no channel lists though, so at the moment I've just found the 13 East and 28.2 east and done an automatic scan to see if everything is working.

Is there an easier way of finding the sats once you have a couple locked in?

Cheers

basilyoung
25-10-12, 19:34
yes, if you go menu/plugins once the screen is up, download plugins, select settings, and look for "catseye" listings,...hi light it, and download

thats if catseye is listed..if not any motorized listing will do for now ( just remember.d that VIX is not yet available on your unit )

the unit will restart ( I think ) then in your fraverits ( blue button normally ) you should have all sats listed

I am hoping MrMister will step in as he has this unit, and his info will be more accurate

Mr. Mister
25-10-12, 19:49
I take it your using openmips or openaaf image..

The Vix image for the Quad has not been released yet.. ( Im testing that at the moment.. )

I have never seen any of the above 2 mentioned images to talk you through set up.. so i am unable to help you there..

If it were me setting this up on a motorized set up.. i would be using usals..

The main secret in usals.. is getting your latitude and longitude correct.. If you get this correct.. then you will have no issues with any sats..

Pretty standard i think.. no matter what image you are using..

Also.. As for bouquets... I would just ftp your choosen bouquets to your box via dreambox edit..

Hope this helps in some way..

basilyoung
25-10-12, 19:52
I take it your using openmips or openaaf image..

If it were me setting this up on a motorized set up.. i would be using usals..

Pretty standard i think.. no matter what image you are using..

Hope this helps in some way..

@ MrMister

just a heads up, this person is using a V Box/36volt motor set up, so USALs I think is not an option

Mr. Mister
25-10-12, 19:57
Sorry Basil..

I have never had a set up like that.. Or at least not for 10 years..

It should not matter what STB is being used.. Set Up for a V-Box / 36volt positioner should be pretty Universal.. ??

basilyoung
25-10-12, 20:04
Sorry Basil..

I have never had a set up like that.. Or at least not for 10 years..

It should not matter what STB is being used.. Set Up for a V-Box / 36volt positioner should be pretty Universal.. ??

yes, that side of things is pretty much sorted, as in yes, Universal, its the menu etc that I am playing the guessing game with

and thanks for stepping in

Mr. Mister
25-10-12, 20:46
Sorry.. i have never seen the OpenAAF or OpenMips images.. So i am of no help at all..

I know there are now quite a few new Quad users who are using the above 2 images.. So maybe they can step in to help..

Sicilian
25-10-12, 21:07
Not sure if this is what you need.

How to upload settgins / bouquets using dreamboxedit http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?623-How-to-send-save-Enigma-Settings-to-the-VUDuo-using-DBEdit

Catseyes settings http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?42-Catseye-Enigma2-Settings-file-75-East-to-58-West/page9

Redrooster
26-10-12, 12:15
Thanks guys, I'll have a play and see what happens.

Thanks for all your help so far, I hope you don't mind me keep asking the questions?

regards

Red

Redrooster
26-10-12, 17:57
Just a thought, and again "sorry" as I'm only learning !! but as and when the Vix image becomes available will i need to set everything up again?

basilyoung
26-10-12, 19:16
Just a thought, and again "sorry" as I'm only learning !! but as and when the Vix image becomes available will i need to set everything up again?

Yes, but it will be a lot easier, the motor side for example, will simply mean re configging the tuners as is
the rest will be done via the image

Redrooster
26-10-12, 19:46
Ok, I'm learning:) I've just used Dreamboxedit and Catseye and downloaded to the gbquad and it works great!! yes..!!!!

Thanks everyone, whats next then? getting my head around a softcam, or am I jumping the gun?

basilyoung
26-10-12, 22:35
No not jumping the gun at all, but a good tip, is to focus on one issue at a time, which you seem to be doing

softcams are a subject that needs to be asked about carefully, as in we will assist getting softcams installed, to read your local card only

Redrooster
27-10-12, 12:04
Hi Basil,

I fully understand the need to careful, no problem.
Would you recommend any one particular cam I should concentrate on, i.e one that has the best track record and support in your opinion for my local card please?

thanks again.

Larry-G
27-10-12, 12:11
Hi Basil,

I fully understand the need to careful, no problem.
Would you recommend any one particular cam I should concentrate on, i.e one that has the best track record and support in your opinion for my local card please?

thanks again.

That pretty much depends on the card in question, for example if as i assume your talking about setting up a sky uk card with your receiver you can use either CCcam which will work quite well or Oscam which while being a fair bit harder to setup allows a extra bit of security for you etc.

Redrooster
28-10-12, 18:28
Well, I've just loaded the new VIX image onto my quad and gone through the basic setup and it does look very good, well done guys:thumbsup:

So I'll start to build againnow and see what I find.

Redrooster
31-10-12, 18:15
Sorry, I need a little more help please since installing Vix on Quad.
Vix has installed great and looks superb, I've also installed Catseye using Deambox edit as described earlier with no problem.
The problem I have now is the receiver talking to my V-Box to move the dish?
For now I've simply set tuner A to advanced to look at sats at 13, 19.2 & 28.2 with DiSEqc set to 1.2, Usals set to No, and moved the dish manually to find each sat then stored each one at 013, 019 & 028 respectively on the V-box . What I can't seem do is get the dish moving automatically from one to the other when using Catseye to switch sats/channels.
Am I missing something here? it seemed to be ok when using Openmips? or is it me being thick and forgot to do something?
Any pointers please to what I may be doing wrong.
Many thanks

Redrooster
03-11-12, 20:32
Hi, I'm still struggling on this one !!
Is there anyone else out there with a Gigablue Quad with the Vix image and a V-Box positioner?
I've set the tuner A config to advanced selected 13, 16, 19, & 28.2 deg Sats, set DiSEQc to 1.2, Usals to No and stored the 13, 16, 19, & 28 positions on each configuration on Tuner A. Set my V-Box at 13 deg and got a picture and stored that position on the V-box as 13, I've then found the other sats and stored them at 16, 19, and 28 respectively.
When I've then used the channel lists from Catseye to move from 13 to 16 the flashing Dish Icon comes on screen in the left hand corner saying 13 deg to 16 deg but nothing happens, it's as though the receiver is not talking to the V-Box.
I had it working with Openmips and Catseye so I might revert back to that and see if it works again.
In the meantime, any ideas guys please?
Red

basilyoung
03-11-12, 21:53
did you do this in tuner config?? or motor setup??

Redrooster
04-11-12, 11:09
did you do this in tuner config?? or motor setup??

I've hopefully just followed your instructions earlier in this thread, by setting the sats first on the receivers Tuner A config then using the vbox, and starting from 13 east nudging round finding the next sat/piccy at 16 and saving the position on the vbox as 16, so that the Tuner A was saved with 16 on config and the V box was saved as 16 and so on.

Redrooster
16-11-12, 18:41
Well, thanks to you guys, I've finally got my Quad and Vbox talking to each other, great:thumbsup:
My next step is to set up the box to work with my own sky card. I've picked that I need either cccam or oscam to do it but I've no idea how.
Before I go searching around, and as a beginner, can anyone advise which one to concentrate on and also give me any pointers please on loading and configuration?
Many thanks in advance