PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo] CrossEPG Updates Manually But Not Automated

bartjunited
17-10-12, 19:57
Im running the latest Vix image on my solo

My Cross EPG does not seem to be updating automatically

Ive set it to update at 13.00 I see the box updating & downloading the updates but then when i go into the EPG itself it hasnt updated.

If i manually update it by pressing Blue Button & then CrossEPG Downloader it then downloads the update & when checking it it is correct.

The EPG is set to download to media/usb.

Could the epg.dat file be corrupt? Should i delete it? and if so will it recreate a new one?

Thanks

Bart

Stanman
17-10-12, 20:54
If the file was corrupted you would experience same issues manual / automatic download as it goes to the same place - most strange. No harm in deleting the file and than doing auto again and see if that fixes it

bartjunited
18-10-12, 08:32
thanks

just to make sure, if i delete the file will it recreate it automatically or do i need to do anything?

also should the box be on standby when i try to delete the file?

Rob van der Does
18-10-12, 08:49
It has been explained over and over and over again: the file epg.dat is a kind of hibernating file. Normally all EPG-data is in live-memory; when the box shuts down the data is written to epg.dat and om startup the data is read.

That's also the reason that manually deleting epg.dat is only possible when Enigma has been stopped (via telnet).

edit: A box in standby is just as active as when the box is 'On'.

bartjunited
18-10-12, 12:32
ok so what do you suggest?
is there any point in deleting the epg.dat file if the epg data is in live memory?

s1m0nw
18-10-12, 13:11
He has exact same setting etc as me and mines updates spot on.

Just thot id add that to help out a bit

bartjunited
18-10-12, 13:42
thanks mate

Rob van der Does
18-10-12, 15:33
is there any point in deleting the epg.dat file if the epg data is in live memory?
No, as I said: you can't.
You can only delete epg.dat if Enigma is not alive, because then there is no live-memory.
Deleting epg.dat can be done for two specific purposes:
1- If the file is corrupt. This sometimes happens, and can prevent the box from booting;
2- If you want of get rid of old data, because new data has changed significantly.

Both will seldom be needed.

Larry-G
23-10-12, 16:22

In certain circumstances as rob poinyed out yes there is, but to do this properly you need to put enigma to sleep using a telnet session with the init 4 command. Then delete the EPG.dat file and Finnish of by using the init 3 command via telnet.

Otherwise the corrupted EPG.dat file will just he rewritten when the box is rebooted

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

zappahey
23-10-12, 20:11
Personally, I find crossepg to be useless, and it fails more often than it's successful, so I use the openxml downloader.

Larry-G
23-10-12, 20:14
Personally, I find crossepg to be useless, and it fails more often than it's successful, so I use the openxml downloader.

I have CrossEPG with the OpenTV sources for 28.2 east running just fine on 4 receivers and it never misses a beat.

zappahey
23-10-12, 20:28
I might be too ambitious as I try to download, UK, France,Italian and Benelux listings and it almost invariably fails usually by not actually updating the epg despite going through the motions.

Rob van der Does
23-10-12, 21:35
I might be too ambitious as I try to download, UK, France,Italian and Benelux listings and it almost invariably fails usually by not actually updating the epg despite going through the motions.
So a combination of Open-TV and XMLTV-download. I also never got that to work. Using Rytec alone (even for many bouquets) always works fine. I think it doesn't manage to parse that many events, whereas Rytec has no problem in that area.

bartjunited
24-10-12, 15:42
do any of you find that you need to restart enigma after the epg has downloaded the updates in order for them to reflect in the EPG?

I am now using a different HDD to eliminate the potential corrupted dat file, plus the new HDD is bigger

Rob van der Does
24-10-12, 15:50
I am now using a different HDD to eliminate the potential corrupted dat file
LOL, indeed much easier, quicker and cheaper than deleting the file :p

bartjunited
25-10-12, 11:42
FYI i had a 250gig drive doing nothing & was using a very old 80gig drive so i made the swap