PDA

View Full Version : Streaming HD Videos

frankblueking
17-10-12, 18:55
Hi Guys I have an issue with streaming to my PC and android. I can stream well but the minute I switch to HD format the video freezes so that it is not watchable. Is this a limitation of my Vu+ Ultimo or some other problem. My setup is in my signature.
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Rob van der Does
17-10-12, 20:58
The box has no limitation in this area. So it's the network (bandwith) or the devices not being able to decode HD-video (or both).

frankblueking
17-10-12, 21:06
The box has no limitation in this area. So it's the network (bandwith) or the devices not being able to decode HD-video (or both).

Hi Rob I understand your post but do not understand what I need to do!! I have followed the excellent post on setting up Wondershare Player. Where do I go now? How do I check bandwidth issues? I have fibre optic broadband so speed is not the issue!! Regards Frankblueking

Stanman
17-10-12, 21:07
But is it fibre optic from the router to your device?

Rob van der Does
17-10-12, 23:11
Hi Rob I understand your post but do not understand what I need to do!! I have followed the excellent post on setting up Wondershare Player. Where do I go now? How do I check bandwidth issues? I have fibre optic broadband so speed is not the issue!!
So this is to external then? Please tell me your measured upload speed.

frankblueking
18-10-12, 08:58
This is the reply to Stanman and Rob

My Desk PC and Vu+ Ultimo are hardwired to the router.(Not digital) My mobile (Samsung Galaxy2) connects over my 100Mb/s LAN. When not at home I use whatever wifi is available. My measured speeds at home are typically greater than 25Mb/s download and 15Mb/s upload. I use VLC on my PC and Netbook to stream and Wondershare for the android. I have looked at the software settings but cannot see anything relevant to change. I use Webif to manage the box connection. Again I have no problems streaming non HD streams!! Can you guys stream HD and if yes how does your setup differ?
Regards Frankblueking

Rob van der Does
18-10-12, 09:03
Are the devices you want to stream to, capable of HD-decoding?

frankblueking
18-10-12, 09:23
Are the devices you want to stream to, capable of HD-decoding?

Yes they have all the grunt to do HD. Rgds

Rob van der Does
18-10-12, 09:31
Than the only thing I can think of is bandwidth. You could try connecting your box directly to the PC to test.

twol
18-10-12, 12:01
Hi Guys I have an issue with streaming to my PC and android. I can stream well but the minute I switch to HD format the video freezes so that it is not watchable. Is this a limitation of my Vu+ Ultimo or some other problem. My setup is in my signature.
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Regardless of your broadband connection (unless you live in the countryside with very low bandwidth), the ability to stream is dependent on whether your LAN is up to spec .... what cables are you using for the LAN (cat5, 5e or 6), how close are the connections, and the ability of your PC/Vlc combination to process the HD stream, which is considerably higher than SD. Regarding the ability to stream HD to ANY phone is questionable over WiFi.
Even sophisticated setups e.g. video on NAS, connected to media player -> TV, can have problems with HD streams where all connections in the link are not up to scratch.

satnav
18-10-12, 12:10
I have exactly the same issues. The symptom is on both duo and ultimo boxes. My PC is connected via LAN 100mbs over a 1000mbs LAN so enough band width for 10 boxes! My VLC app will play any HD file perfectly over LAN, WEB or DVD etc but not from VU other apps behave the same too. The same issue is displayed when using PIP on VU it will currently only support STD. I find it hard to believe no one else has experienced this please try for yourselves PIP stalls in HD works perfectly in STD.

twol
18-10-12, 13:09
I have exactly the same issues. The symptom is on both duo and ultimo boxes. My PC is connected via LAN 100mbs over a 1000mbs LAN so enough band width for 10 boxes! My VLC app will play any HD file perfectly over LAN, WEB or DVD etc but not from VU other apps behave the same too. The same issue is displayed when using PIP on VU it will currently only support STD. I find it hard to believe no one else has experienced this please try for yourselves PIP stalls in HD works perfectly in STD.So although you may have a gigabit ethernet connector in the PC (?)and all connections are by min cat5e cable?..... the duo/ultimo only have 100Mbit connections, so suggest you recheck your connections.
Read somewhere (here?) that GigaBlue Quad is first with HD full motion PIP

satnav
18-10-12, 13:36
I did say i was connected at 100mbs over a 1000mbs LAN. The LAN connection has been tested and no issues its 100mbs. Also to repeat myself the PIP has the same issue nothing to with LAN or any other external connections.

garyblas
18-10-12, 13:37
I have my PC hardwired and struggle to get the SD channels working without breaking up using VLC and webif. As for HD forget it.
Laptops the same.
Just assumed my network not good enough but it is an N router, plays movies from PC to Vu box ok though, strange.

satnav
18-10-12, 14:18
I have my PC hardwired and struggle to get the SD channels working without breaking up using VLC and webif. As for HD forget it.
Laptops the same.
Just assumed my network not good enough but it is an N router, plays movies from PC to Vu box ok though, strange.

Playing movies from PC to Vu+ Box surely proves that the network can cope??? Is the issue therefore the out streaming software on the Vu+ box?

Rob van der Does
18-10-12, 14:54
PiP has absolutely nothing to do with this. PiP is not streaming. HD-PiP is not possible, because all VU's have only one videodecoder.
Please don't mix up all kind of things. Bad weather also has nothing to do with it, nor the users mood...... :p

satnav
18-10-12, 15:12
PiP has absolutely nothing to do with this. PiP is not streaming. HD-PiP is not possible, because all VU's have only one videodecoder.
Please don't mix up all kind of things. Bad weather also has nothing to do with it, nor the users mood...... :p

If only one video decoder how is the PIP displayed with the main screen in HD and a different channel in PIP STD please?

Rob van der Does
18-10-12, 15:19
OK, correction: there's only HD-videodecoder on board.
Streaming doesn't take a videodecoder: the complete (demuxed)TS is streamed.

satnav
18-10-12, 15:45
OK still not completely clear will the single HD decoder provide a HD PIP if STD is being displayed in main screen?

Rob van der Does
18-10-12, 16:45
OK, it's off-topic, but one time:
HD- channels in PiP are being soft-decoded. That means that only the i-frames will show, hence the stuttering. The DM8000 is the only box having 2 HD-decoders, and new boxes having that are comming up (DUO2/GB-Quad).

BTW: For this purpose we have the PiP-service relation plugin in the feeds. That plugin will choose SD-channels (if avalable) to display in PiP if the user sets an HD-channel in PiP.

And on-topic: I stream HD-content to my PC with np at all (wired LAN).

twol
18-10-12, 16:51
I did say i was connected at 100mbs over a 1000mbs LAN. The LAN connection has been tested and no issues its 100mbs. Also to repeat myself the PIP has the same issue nothing to with LAN or any other external connections.

I did say i was connected at 100mbs over a 1000mbs LAN. - Yes, you did, I can't read :)
The LAN connection has been tested and no issues its 100mbs - yep, but can depend on (1) the cabling, (2) if you connect everything direct to the router (do you have a fancy router with load balancing?), or (3) via a switch (can be a real issue).
I just checked my set up, and I got the following transfer figures
Normal SD DVD film avg 4Mbit/sec, max 6 Mbit/sec
Sky HD channel off VIX3 box, avg 16Mbit/sec, max 20Mbit/sec
BluRay (Avatar), avg 28Mbit/sec, max 40Mbit/sec

So on a HD movie, transferring at the above speeds you don't need a lot to make it hiccup, which is why many people downrate their movies.

Not saying that you have a bad set up, but have seen so many discussions on other media forums, where people have problems with HD on networks.:(

frankblueking
18-10-12, 17:24
Regardless of your broadband connection (unless you live in the countryside with very low bandwidth), the ability to stream is dependent on whether your LAN is up to spec .... what cables are you using for the LAN (cat5, 5e or 6), how close are the connections, and the ability of your PC/Vlc combination to process the HD stream, which is considerably higher than SD. Regarding the ability to stream HD to ANY phone is questionable over WiFi.
Even sophisticated setups e.g. video on NAS, connected to media player -> TV, can have problems with HD streams where all connections in the link are not up to scratch.

I have Cat5e cables. the Vu+ box cable is 13 to 18 metres from the router. my PC cable is a metre long from the router.
regds Frankblueking

Rob van der Does
18-10-12, 17:38
It has been said before: there are only 2 possible reasons for HD-stuttering. And the streaming box is not one of them (unless the NIC is defect).

I have Cat5e cables. the Vu+ box cable is 13 to 18 metres from the router. my PC cable is a metre long from the router.
So you still have the router as possible culprit. Just connect the box with one short cable directly to the PC and see how that goes.

satnav
18-10-12, 17:42
And on-topic: I stream HD-content to my PC with np at all (wired LAN).

Ok thanks so as to do test from my vu to pc what are the vu network settings to do this please?

Rob van der Does
18-10-12, 17:55
Give both PC & box a fixed IP. Or just stick to the IP's both had before disconnecting from the network/router.

satnav
18-10-12, 18:10
I have tried this before and again now disabled gateway and set IP same no connection! What about the other settings please?

irishchris
18-10-12, 18:53
I stream hd without an issue to my 3 year old hp laptop using windows media player but with vlc it stutters. Again same pc, same network but software differs. On other laptop had will not play without stuttering on wmp or vlc so hardware issue here. On android and iOS (phone,iPad) it does not stream hd but this is a know problem with this software. So what I am trying to say here is there can be numerous reasons as to why hd streams for some and not for other, or in some cases like mine where it plays on one pc but not another. But in every one of these circumstances it is the system receiving the stream that is at fault and not the receiver which are more than capable. Tested using solo, ultimo and tm twin and same result

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

twol
18-10-12, 19:22
I have tried this before and again now disabled gateway and set IP same no connection! What about the other settings please?

I assume you are using a Cross over cable?

Rob van der Does
18-10-12, 19:52
I assume you are using a Cross over cable?
You can use a cross or a straight cable. Both PC's and STB's are autosensing (during the handshake).

twol
18-10-12, 20:30
You can use a cross or a straight cable. Both PC's and STB's are autosensing (during the handshake).
You learn something every day ..... Thanks:)l

Rob van der Does
18-10-12, 20:40
You learn something every day ..... Thanks:)l
Yeah, I know the feeling. Some days you learn so much, you feel a kid again :D

garyblas
18-10-12, 20:50
how do you set openwebif to use media player, mine defaults to VLC ?

I stream hd without an issue to my 3 year old hp laptop using windows media player but with vlc it stutters. Again same pc, same network but software differs. On other laptop had will not play without stuttering on wmp or vlc so hardware issue here. On android and iOS (phone,iPad) it does not stream hd but this is a know problem with this software. So what I am trying to say here is there can be numerous reasons as to why hd streams for some and not for other, or in some cases like mine where it plays on one pc but not another. But in every one of these circumstances it is the system receiving the stream that is at fault and not the receiver which are more than capable. Tested using solo, ultimo and tm twin and same result

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

satnav
18-10-12, 21:12
Yes i have tried both cables no joy. I am in process of complete update to latest vix release.

satnav
18-10-12, 21:13
Yes i have tried both cables no joy. I am in process of complete update to latest vix release. thanks

sivhead
20-10-12, 14:31
I can stream HD Perfectly on windows media player and Vlc player over the LAN but my pc I am streaming to has a lot of grunt quad core 64bit Windows 7 with 8gb of RAM. streaming to my old nokia N8 over the wireless only works and also to my old laptop Pentium 1.4 2gb of RAM only streams SD contents. Its just not powerful enough to stream to HD content. It will be the same for android and iphone devices. It may play MKV files directly from the phone but it wont be able to stream hd content from vuduo, unless you transcode the stream to something smaller (then you may as well just watch the sd stream).

Does a HD signal really make a differernce on 4 inch display ? this certainly wont stream outside of your local lan to your mobile phone without without transcoding the stream.

Well this time next year we will all be watching Hd content transcoded via the VuSolo2 and VuDuo2 it will transcode the stream on the fly so no need an additional pc turned on. you will be able to watch all your channels outside of your lan on your android device whilst sitting on the bus using your 4G LTE, (it will be transcoded to reduce bandwidth so wont be in HD but it willl say HD in the corner of the screen ;-)

Thameswater
22-10-12, 17:38
had this same problem, still kind of have it

having problems streaming HD onto my Galaxy Note 10.1, SD works fine, tried my core 2 duo PC connected by LAN and have the same problem

so i went on the web interface and streamed to media player classic instead of VLC, works for a while but freezes every now and then so I have to restart

no idea what it is

Rob van der Does
22-10-12, 17:40
Bandwidth, that's what it is.
There is a bottleneck somewhere in your network (provided the PC is fully capable of HD-decoding).

Thameswater
22-10-12, 17:51
ive given up now

will just buy a new router and homeplugs

Rob van der Does
22-10-12, 18:04
ive given up now

will just buy a new router and homeplugs
My first suggestion would be the homeplugs, not the router.
Easy to check, by directly connecting to the router by cable.

Thameswater
22-10-12, 18:21
i havent got homeplugs now

ill buy them to stream to my raspberry pi once i switch the router

ive been connecting directly to the router so far

garyblas
25-10-12, 22:33
It has been said before: there are only 2 possible reasons for HD-stuttering. And the streaming box is not one of them (unless the NIC is defect).

So you still have the router as possible culprit. Just connect the box with one short cable directly to the PC and see how that goes.

If i connect the box directly to PC i now have no network connection.
So how do i open webif? Duo only has 1 LAN port

Rob van der Does
26-10-12, 06:14
If i connect the box directly to PC i now have no network connection.
So how do i open webif? Duo only has 1 LAN port
You should manually make the lan-settings for both the PC and the box, as there is obviously no DHCP available.
e.g. make the box 192.168.1.20 and the PC 192.168.1.30 both on 255.255.255.0.

garyblas
26-10-12, 19:17
OK got this streaming now... great and in HD
One problem though im getting a running audio commentary......How do i turn this off, running windows media player 12

Rob van der Does
26-10-12, 20:56
OK got this streaming now... great and in HD
One problem though im getting a running audio commentary......How do i turn this off, running windows media player 12
So with a direct cable it does work?
In WMP you should be able to choose the audiotrack.

garyblas
27-10-12, 16:23
working on wifi too. cant find any where on wmp to select audio though

So with a direct cable it does work?
In WMP you should be able to choose the audiotrack.