PDA

View Full Version : Slow Receiver?

Silent
17-10-12, 12:35
Hi Guys

My dad received his HD800SE from the sponsor yesterday but it seems to be really unresponsive in comparison to my Duo.

After pressing any buttons on the remote, it takes a while to actually react. For example, it takes between 5 and 10 seconds to go to the next day's EPG in the Graphical EPG, where as it's sub-2 seconds on my Duo. When I press numbers to change channel (e.g. 178 for ITV) it takes about 2 seconds after pressing the button for it to appear on screen.

Is this normal on these boxes?

It came with VIX flashed and I just configured it from there, but it was slow from the start. The only plugins I loaded are AutoBouquets (which has a buffer overflow error at the start?) and CCcam.

Cheers
Silent

Sicilian
17-10-12, 13:06
Are you letting the unit fully boot before starting to use the unit?

The unit will always be slower than a Duo. The HD800SE CPU is single core 333mhz as per the VU+ Solo, Duo is dual core 405mhz.

Try zapping through bouquets, press down, select channel and press ok.

Through numbers I believe theres been a longer delay set accross the whole of the range of ViX images, pressing Ok directly after entering numbers will zap straight away.

Mr. Mister
17-10-12, 13:09
Hi buddy..
No.. this is not normal..
I have one of these as never had any problems with it..
Its run perfect from the day i got it.
I would flash the box again with the latest image and try that ..
Id say that will sort all your problems..

Sorry i cant be of more help.. but this is what i would do..

Rob van der Does
17-10-12, 13:09
Opening Graphic-EPG will always take some time, as a large amount of data is being gathered. Of course this will show more prominent on a box with less CPU-power.

Silent
17-10-12, 14:05
Thanks all for the feedback :thumbsup:

The box is fully booted and had been running for over 30 minutes with the same delays. It took about 30 minutes for AutoBouquets to run too, which takes about 10 minutes on my Duo.

I agree it's likely to be slower, but not that much.

I'll try a fresh flash on Saturday when I go over, before we go off to watch the mighty Cherries get smashed in by Tranmere and report back.

sonna
17-10-12, 14:40
Hi mate. My SE has been OK. Its not lightening quick but not as slow as you're reporting.

namzuf9
17-10-12, 18:20
Are you storing the epg on an USB drive or the boxes internal storage?

Silent
18-10-12, 11:23
USB 2.5HDD is where EPG.dat is kept, but this is only read from on bootup then it's loaded in to memory.

Silent
21-10-12, 11:45
I'm done celebrating now :D

So it turns out it was a really technical fix. I went to flash it like my Vu Duo and put the files on a USB stick in a "gigablue" folder. Unplugged it and plugged it back in, on at which point I realised it wasn't flashing... It booted up and was absolutely fine. A reboot really did fix all! Can't believe I didn't reset it but oh well, at least it's fine now!

Silent
18-11-12, 21:23
Just FYI in case anyone has the same issue, the problem was with permanent timeshift being enabled. Since disabling it a couple of weeks ago the box has run like a dream :thumbsup:

darkh0rse
23-11-12, 00:55
Same. I had an old USB 2.0 hard disk and then thought I'd try with a newer disk. Permanent timeshift really slows it down drastically when timeshifting HD. The thing is, my old Openbox S10 did this no problems and without a reduction in speed. Surely the Gigablue can cope with timeshifting better than a £50 bargain basement box?

judge
23-11-12, 01:01
Same. I had an old USB 2.0 hard disk and then thought I'd try with a newer disk. Permanent timeshift really slows it down drastically when timeshifting HD. The thing is, my old Openbox S10 did this no problems and without a reduction in speed. Surely the Gigablue can cope with timeshifting better than a £50 bargain basement box?
The better the box, the better Time Shift will work, especially with HD channels.
USB stick is never ideal for time shift.

darkh0rse
23-11-12, 01:14
The better the box, the better Time Shift will work, especially with HD channels.
USB stick is never ideal for time shift.

I see, but it's USB HDD ext4 I'm using, not USB flash. The same USB HDD I had with the Openbox S10 (although I have reformatted since). I just can't quite believe the Openbox S10 timeshifts better than my new UE800 which cost 3 times as much...?

judge
23-11-12, 01:24
I don't use an Openbox S10 or UE800, so not of much help sorry.
Have you tried formatting the stick in the box, should give the best results for that box.

darkh0rse
23-11-12, 01:48
I don't use an Openbox S10 or UE800, so not of much help sorry.
Have you tried formatting the stick in the box, should give the best results for that box.

Fair enough :D

Yes, I initialised it in the ViX menu, all shows up mounted as ext4 r/w. So I now have a blank disk with a /lost+found and a /timeshift folder on the disk. Timeshift works, but, when I hit guide, it takes 13 seconds to show the guide. With PTS off, it shows up in under 5. Scrolling through the guide takes 1.5 seconds to move on to the next event, with PTS off, it is near instantaneous. So although I expected PTS to have an impact on performance, I didn't think it would be anywhere near as much as this.

Is there anything else you can think I can check over judge? Thanks.

Mr. Mister
23-11-12, 02:01
Its doing exactly the same on my SE..

I`ll report this to the Team.. and see what if anything can be done..

Sicilian
23-11-12, 06:07
The Gigablue HD800SE/UE/VU+ Solo are all single core 333mhz, permanent timeshift will cause a performance drop. The answer is just to use standard timeshift when needed, i.e. press pause when needed.

Rob van der Does
23-11-12, 07:04
I don't use any timeshift at all, but I also find the box very slow in responding to any commands. And sometimes the box freezes completely (i.e. TV continues, but box doesn't respond to the R/C, lost LAN-connection and I have to pull the plug).

I reflashed the box several times, have only a very limited number of plugins installed, but nevertheless the problems remain.

Sicilian
23-11-12, 07:14
I don't use any timeshift at all, but I also find the box very slow in responding to any commands. And sometimes the box freezes completely (i.e. TV continues, but box doesn't respond to the R/C, lost LAN-connection and I have to pull the plug).

I reflashed the box several times, have only a very limited number of plugins installed, but nevertheless the problems remain.

Well never had any of those issues you mention both SE & UE always been solid here.

darkh0rse
23-11-12, 09:31
The Gigablue HD800SE/UE/VU+ Solo are all single core 333mhz, permanent timeshift will cause a performance drop. The answer is just to use standard timeshift when needed, i.e. press pause when needed.

I want to use PTS though... :D :D

Interestingly enough I have turned on the Gigablue this morning and noticed that things are working much more quickly. I am wondering if somehow my EPG data had maybe become corrupt or something, and with the 4am download it had rebuilt?

Button presses are responding much more quickly, with a much reduced lag compared with what I described before, with PTS enabled.

However, Mr Mister noticed the exact same problem I described too, which makes me think there is an issue somewhere. I wonder if Mr Mister could report back on the performance of his box today?

Cheers all

wiz569
23-11-12, 09:38
Maybe a class 10 micro sd card in a usb adaptor might help with permanent timeshift, but I find normal timeshift is much better,just hit pause if you need to turn your attention elsewhere for a while :)

Sent from my Xperia X10 using Tapatalk 2

marty
23-11-12, 09:42
Maybe a class 10 micro sd card in a usb adaptor might help with permanent timeshift, but I find normal timeshift is much better,just hit pause if you need to turn your attention elsewhere for a while :)

A HDD is gonna be faster than a USB key/card reader.

wiz569
23-11-12, 10:59
A HDD is gonna be faster than a USB key/card reader.

I doubt that as there will no moving parts on the sd card,doesn't need to spin up or down, but it's only my opinion ;)

josh_g
23-11-12, 11:04
I doubt that as there will no moving parts on the sd card,doesn't need to spin up or down, but it's only my opinion ;)

i agree flash memory will allways bee faster than spining disk but it all depends on the speed of the usb port.

marty
23-11-12, 11:09

We are talking about permanent timeshift :p disk would already be spinning :D
A class10 bit of memory will write at 10 MBS, a USB HDD will write at 2 to 3 times that speed.
I have a crappy old extrenal HDD that writes at 33MBS

Rob van der Does
23-11-12, 12:32
Correct: USB flashdrives are significantly slower then USB-HDD's.