PDA

View Full Version : Best box to use with old sky dish

arsxh04
17-10-12, 09:27
Hi there,

I'm about to buy a receiver to use with my existing sky dish. Can anyone recommend a really good receiver please?

A friend said he'd heard that the best ones at the moment are the VU+ Ultimo and Gigablue Quad but I just want to make sure I don't buy something that is much more than I will need/use.

Thanks

judge
17-10-12, 09:50
What do you plan on using the box for?
Recording & watching other channels?

arsxh04
17-10-12, 09:55
Thanks for the quick response. I no longer have a sky subscription, but I'd like to be able to watch as many channels as possible... particularly HD channels as I have a HD TV. Recording would be a bonus but not essential.

judge
17-10-12, 10:00
All boxs will receive the FTA channels without your SKY sub.
If you plan on watching sub channels without a sub, we can't help you here.

arsxh04
17-10-12, 10:57
OK thanks - appreciate that. Can you still recommend a good receiver? So for example do I need a quad tuner etc. if I only have a fixed dish?

judge
17-10-12, 11:01
My favourites are the VU boxs, however there are lots of great options.
Gigablue getting great reviews, ET, TM Twin & so on...
All depends on your budget really.

irishchris
17-10-12, 12:28
OK thanks - appreciate that. Can you still recommend a good receiver? So for example do I need a quad tuner etc. if I only have a fixed dish?

it all depends on your needs. would you have multiple recordings at the same time. does anyone else in the house stream to tablets,pc, remote boxes? If not then a dual tuner box would suffice of which there are many brands such as the ones judge listed. again it all depends on personal needs. dont forget the sponsors discount for forum members ;)

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using tapatalk 2

garyblas
17-10-12, 13:34
If your familiar with Sky box then i would suggest Vu+ Duo does everthing Sky HD box does plus ability to stream movies from your PC.
Plus plenty of support on this forum for Vu+ Duo.

I switched from Sky box to this box early this year, would not go back.

Rob van der Does
17-10-12, 14:31
If your familiar with Sky box then i would suggest Vu+ Duo does everything Sky HD box does plus ability to stream movies from your PC.
plus streaming recordings and live-TV to PC's, laptop's, mobile devices and other Enigma2 running boxes (in other rooms e.g.)