PDA

View Full Version : 3.5"hdd

marty
15-10-12, 09:38
Very tempted to get a Quad to replace my Duo :)
The main thing putting me off is that it seems to be designed to use a laptop 2.5" HDD.
I have several surplus 3.5" drives and it would bug me to have to go out and buy a 2.5" drive.
Is it possible to squeeze in a 3.5" drive somewhere?

Stanman
15-10-12, 11:35
Very tempted to get a Quad to replace my Duo :)
The main thing putting me off is that it seems to be designed to use a laptop 2.5" HDD.
I have several surplus 3.5" drives and it would bug me to have to go out and buy a 2.5" drive.
Is it possible to squeeze in a 3.5" drive somewhere?

Yes it is, well be a tight fit depending on height of the HDD even 15mm can be fitted but you mau only be able to use 1 or 2 of the screws.

Sicilian
15-10-12, 13:44
Too tight for a 3.5" HDD.

marty
17-10-12, 17:43
Too tight for a 3.5" HDD.

Bugger :( I guess I'll use EXT SATA for now.

mauri
29-10-12, 23:23
Yes it is, well be a tight fit depending on height of the HDD even 15mm can be fitted but you mau only be able to use 1 or 2 of the screws.

I just opened (and closed) my Quad and I could not fit my VuDuo WD HDD 3.5". It seemed not possible to fit it there.
That is why I bought an sata/usb adapter; now I have my 2TB HDD attached to the back usb port.

FYI

marty
31-10-12, 15:53
Might be worth getting a HDD box that supports eSATA as thats is alot faster than a USB port.
At 1st I wasn't too happy about it not taking a 3.5" HDD but on the positive side the box will run alot cooler with its external power supply and EXT HDD
At the moment I'm using an old 160GB 2.5" internal drive but once they release a fix for recording two or more scrambled channels I will have to seriously consider a larger drive.
I do have a 1.5TB eSATA HDD which would work technically well but has the disadvantage of extra cables and needing another power socket.
An internal drive is tidier and self-contained inside the Quad but a decent size 2.5" isn't cheap and their performance isn't as good a a "proper" size HDD :p

Hard choice :confused: