PDA

View Full Version : new image won't play MP4 Files

Mavarick
14-10-12, 00:16
Hi from new Zealand, really new at alot of this,
I did do the new image upgrade which is better than the PLi I had but since then I can't play MP4 files of my external hard drive I could before , what have I done wrong,
thanks

Rob van der Does
14-10-12, 09:03
Do other files from the external HDD play fine?
What's the format of the drive (FTA/NTFS/EXT/.....)?

Mavarick
14-10-12, 23:12
All so far play fine, just the MP4 files don't

mkv and avi and some pictures display.
but I have some movies and its just a black screen and it not even counting down on the timers. have gone back to an old image 2011 that it was sold with here and they play fine, but the older immage doesn't do as much as the ViX

Thanks

judge
14-10-12, 23:21
All so far play fine, just the MP4 files don't

mkv and avi and some pictures display.
but I have some movies and its just a black screen and it not even counting down on the timers. have gone back to an old image 2011 that it was sold with here and they play fine, but the older immage doesn't do as much as the ViX

Thanks

Played a MP4 of most recent homeland on my duo a few days ago, worked perfectly.
I'd guess it's down to the encoding, can you try any other MP4s? and report back.

Mavarick
15-10-12, 01:19
Since I went frm Pli to ViX I hadn't actually tried any Files , but over the weekend I did. some where Tv shows and a couple were movies, I aslo did an update over the wwekend as well as it's not connected to a network

It had previously played the Tv shows o.k. but now they won't. so went back to the orginial image that it came with and they worked fine, so still non the wiser, tehre is alot of info here for Europe but not much for us south of the Equator,
Cheers

Tkr001
15-10-12, 05:44
Doesn't matter which side of the equator you are on for your problem :D Do you know what drivers and/or kernel your PLi image is using?

Rob van der Does
15-10-12, 06:58
Whatever on which side of the equator you live, present generation STB's will never be full media-players. All decoding is done in the hardware, with some support of Gstreamer. If a file plays fine, you're lucky. If it isn't, just re-code it and all is fine again.

Mavarick
15-10-12, 07:20
To TKR,

I now have the orginial Satlink one and it plays fine. Grant K sent it to me. but you were right the Vix is way better
I did try and copy some files like you said on the geekzone but FTP keep failing something so couldn't copy any of the old settings
Sort of stuck now
Cheers

Tkr001
15-10-12, 21:44
Feel free to PM me if you need help. Happy to step you through it. Personally I don't bother with FTP, I just access the VUDUO from a windows machine.

judge
15-10-12, 21:49
Watched last nights US Homeland & The Walking Dead, both mp4 downloads on a DUO with latest VIX today & no issues whatsoever.

Mavarick
30-10-12, 03:19
I have been given the answer,
I did not download the NTFS plug in when I updated the image, once that was done it was all go
thanks to all

Rob van der Does
30-10-12, 08:31
But without the NTFS-plugin the box will not have write-access.