PDA

View Full Version : GiGablue Quad – First impressions

Sicilian
13-10-12, 14:47
As there’s been quite a bit of speculation as to the present driver issues and lack of English info I’m going to post my first impressions and findings so far. For the purpose of this I’m using Openmips as thats the factory installed image and ViX is yet to be released.

Packaging – Found the Quad nicely packaged on receipt, protective plastic all over the case and front panel. Included are PSU, RCU + Batteries, HDD screws for 2.5” HDD (although may be slightly long for some 2.5” HDD) and combined SATA/Power lead for HDD. Remote the same as the HD800xx series, which personally I find very usable and feels nice to use.

Receiver build quality feels nice and well manufactured. Only criticism’s I do have are as follows: -

HDD Cradle could have done with being slightly lower to allow for thicker HDD, just above where the HDD fits there is a small fold that holds the front panel, thus causing a slight restriction. 9.5mm 2.5” HDD fit not problem, 12.5 maybe tight, 15mm you would need to install with one screw and an lay the HDD at an angle. Please note though that 2.5” HDD upto 1TB are easily obtainable in 9.5mm.
Rear panel slot for Tuner C. On top of the rear panel there is a fold, this fold should have been cut away slightly more to easily fit Tuner C, like Tuner D. It DOES fit, but to fit you need to tip under fold, apply slight outwards pressure to rear panel and fit tuner by applying slight pressure towards the rear of the receiver and slot in the tuner, you would need to use both hands to do this. Like I said does fit, just a little awkward. Remember once fitted I doubt you’ll be doing this again. Tuner D slots in easily.

See attached picture for explanation.

Ok here goes, time to flash with latest Openmips from here http://image.openmips.com/2.0/index.php?open=gbquad

To flash simply format USB stick FAT32, extract image and copy Gigablue folder to root of USB stick. Connect to USB port behind front panel > Power on > Follow front LCD instructions.

Image flashed and as expected from all other reports, this badboy boots mega fast.

First install wizard is straight forward as standard Enigma 2 images.

Transferred my settings/bouquets etc...

Menu speeds and Enigma 2 restart and reboots amazingly quick as expected. Definitely the fasted Enigma 2 receiver I’ve ever used. Zapping etc very fast.

Tested Crossepg from plugins all fine. Not tested another plugin, just added Crossepg.

Cardslot works with Viaccess card I tested.

Softcam’s tested – CCcam + Oscam working fine.

HD PiP is great, at last proper Picture in Picture stutter free :)

Web interace streaming working well.

Note that the Ethernet port is 10/100, some online specs shows 100/1000 which is wrong.

Standard Timeshift working fine on OpenMips. Tested Permenant timeshift on a ViX Beta image, to function I need to pause and release, so not 100%. Maybe driver or ViX related.

Ok, now onto the driver issues: -

Picture quality could be a bit sharp for some users, found best 1080i or 720p to suit my tastes best. 1080p too sharp for me. Changing A/V mode from occasionally results in blurry menu’s. A/V mode needs to be changed again to correct. i.e 1080p to 1080i. Switch to 720p then 1080i to correct menu’s.
Multi-transponder/satellite recording and PIP issue. For instance, you can only view or record one encrypted channel at present on different satellites/transponder. This driver issue is high on Gigablue priority list.
Only PCM Audio available through optical port. No digital yet.
Occasionally exiting movie list leave PIG on screen, need to switch channel to refresh.

The above are the main four driver related issues that I can find right now. I’ve not tested and USB wifi sticks and we already know that vtuner support is not implemented yet.

Gigablue have stated driver updates will come to fix outstanding issues, once fixed this receiver will be awesome and at the right price too. If you can live with the issues until fixed, then buy one, if not, then wait. Simple as that.

I’m actually using as a main receiver as more or less all my recordings are FTA.

Rob van der Does
13-10-12, 16:43
Do I understand correctly that GB-devs have been rather active in the area of driver-development (for the other boxes I mean)?

Sicilian
13-10-12, 16:46
Do I understand correctly that GB-devs have been rather active in the area of driver-development (for the other boxes I mean)?

Well I suppose a look at their archive says it all

http://archiv.openmips.com/

rossi2000
13-10-12, 16:55
sic, can you comment on media playback?

1080p material, dts sound etc.

you mention only pcm through optical, i guess hdmi is ok?

Sicilian
13-10-12, 16:59
sic, can you comment on media playback?

1080p material, dts sound etc.

you mention only pcm through optical, i guess hdmi is ok?

Cant confirm DTS through HDMI as my amp has only optical. I'll try to find out.

Sicilian
13-10-12, 17:07
Just tried a a 1080p MKV with DTS audio only, played fine connected to TV with only HDMI and downmix off.

75mak
13-10-12, 17:24
sounds good, but until they get the multi-transponder encrypted channels - recording/PIP issue sorted - box will be useless for those Buying for multi tuner functionality.

The good news is they are making that issue anpriority and will hopefully will release a fix for this issue as their previous track record suggests they will.

doggie
13-10-12, 19:39
Great first impression, I will wait patiently thanks.

partage
15-10-12, 18:15
Thank you for this first review Sicilian. I'm planning to get one in the next few days. At least I can get one here "in Morocco" maybe in two or three days. It seems to be promising receiver compared to the next generation of Vu+.

mauri
15-10-12, 20:42
my Quad is on its way. Can't wait to put my hand on it! :D

bokkie
15-10-12, 22:14
Just a question, might be ********.
I've always wanted to be able to stream remotely to my tablet when on holiday, but am constrained by slow upload speed.
So the only option is to stream via vlc on a pc at a lower bitrate, which means leaving your pc on and as far as I'm aware, you can't change channels.
Will the extra processor speed in the new generation of stb's. such as the gigablue quad, allow the receiver to do this on the fly, without the need for a pc.
I was led to believe it wasn't possible before as it was to processor hungry. But with 3 times faster processor now, is this achievable?

Trial
15-10-12, 22:32
Hi,
simple answer no. The VU Duo has PIP in Software and is able to decode SD with around 4 fps and there is still encoding missing which takes even more time.

The next boxes of VU are supposed to have this transcoding function in hardware.

ciao

Gesendet von meinem GT-P1000 mit Tapatalk 2

Rob van der Does
16-10-12, 06:20
Just a question, might be ********.
I've always wanted to be able to stream remotely to my tablet when on holiday, but am constrained by slow upload speed.
So the only option is to stream via vlc on a pc at a lower bitrate, which means leaving your pc on and as far as I'm aware, you can't change channels.
Will the extra processor speed in the new generation of stb's. such as the gigablue quad, allow the receiver to do this on the fly, without the need for a pc.
I was led to believe it wasn't possible before as it was to processor hungry. But with 3 times faster processor now, is this achievable?
Not seen any advertisement of GB so far, but VU has claimed this to be possible indeed on the Solo2/DUO2.

BTW: You ever tried a Slingbox to accomplish this? No experience myself, but I heard some good stories about that.

bokkie
16-10-12, 06:45
Thanks. Don't want to hijack the thread or go off topic. But no, Never tried slingbox.
Maybe a good idea for my next project :)

rossi2000
16-10-12, 20:05
got my quad today
can only really confirm sics findings. although some of issues stated im not too bothered about., the main ones for me are picture quality + recording 2 encrypted chans.

there is definately an issue with the drivers but its not as bad as you may think.

connecting/mounting via nfs to server, no problem, streaming 1080p blurays with DTS only all ok, it will not passthrough HD Audio at this time, not sure if this is something gigablue can work on.
cccam, mgcamd ok.
All audio ok through HDMI, i dont use optical.

marty
16-10-12, 20:28
Thats good to hear, I orderd mine earlier today :)

danivtec
17-10-12, 21:30
Can anyone confirm the dimensions of the unit?

rossi2000
17-10-12, 23:27
quick pic of picons on the gigablue quad lcd screen.

picons re-sized to 220x136
all info removed, just the picon only, the screen isnt big enough for other information.

cpistola
19-10-12, 01:32
Hi Sicilian
Could you say anything about the tuner's sensitivity of the Quad?
I'm undecided between VU+ Ultimo and Giga Quad. Many say the ultimo's tuner have low sensitivity.
I did not see any informations about the quad tuner's sensitivity.

Also where can I obtain one manual in english?

Thanks

bobby1
20-10-12, 09:48
quick pic of picons on the gigablue quad lcd screen.

picons re-sized to 220x136
all info removed, just the picon only, the screen isnt big enough for other information.

How do I change the LCD layout?

rossi2000
20-10-12, 10:37
by editing skin_display220_no_picon in /usr/share/enigma2

altho i think this is a mistake in the image as we shud be editing skin_display220_picon for these changes.

marty
25-10-12, 22:10
AC3 5.1 via optical now working :thumbsup:

alexioemmi
26-10-12, 01:17
Can somebody confirm sound working in dvdplayer with iso files. have tried optical,hdmi rca with passtrough on and off, still no sound. have tried openmips and openaaf, nothing helps.vu+duo(blackhole image) plays them fine.otherwise i dont have any issues with sound. Watching tv,divx,mp4 and mkv works with hdmi and optical.

marty
26-10-12, 08:43
Can somebody confirm sound working in dvdplayer with iso files. have tried optical,hdmi rca with passtrough on and off, still no sound. have tried openmips and openaaf, nothing helps.vu+duo(blackhole image) plays them fine.otherwise i dont have any issues with sound. Watching tv,divx,mp4 and mkv works with hdmi and optical.

Just tested mine and get the same results as you. (.ISO file with DVD Player=picture with no sound)
BUT I did try playing a .VOB file with the built in media player and that had sound.

jerry2
26-10-12, 08:51
Hm, I have problems with movies like mp4 ones. THey do not stutter but have some kind of ghosting effect, like the image would not be traveling fast enough, hard to explain. For example, the xtreamer beats the divx, mp4 playing at any time. I know, this receiver is not maily for this, but the player really isn't something, fast forward is a pain and stutters for 20 seconds before resuming, there is no resuming play where you end it. From what the sat/dvb-t part is I would assume the media player could be better. I am not sure if hardware is capable of playing fast enough.

marty
26-10-12, 08:56
I watched two episodes of "Game of thrones" last night after work.
They were .MKV files and they played perfectly :cool:

I did find that FF/RWD was crap but that isn't just on the Quad. My Duo was exactly the same.

Where are your movies stored? (INT HDD, USB HDD, Network?)

jerry2
26-10-12, 14:16
My movies are on a network NAS drive.

Is it possible to record to netowrk drive with Quad? I have not found that option.

Larry-G
26-10-12, 14:18
if you mount the networked drive and change the recording paths accordingly yes, but why go to all that when you could just throw a old laptop HDD into the box and record to that ?.

alexioemmi
26-10-12, 14:36
Just tested mine and get the same results as you. (.ISO file with DVD Player=picture with no sound)
BUT I did try playing a .VOB file with the built in media player and that had sound.
OK, Thanks for testing. I will open a new thread for this to see if we can get this sorted out.

Stanman
26-10-12, 14:39
If its the same across images your better off emailing the manufacturer as likely to be driver issue - if its possiable to do.

jerry2
26-10-12, 15:13
Because netowrk drive is visible to both my "machines" and local disk is visible to one only ;-) And I don't have a 2.5" HD ready right now.

Rob van der Does
26-10-12, 16:17
My movies are on a network NAS drive.
Is it possible to record to netowrk drive with Quad? I have not found that option.

if you mount the networked drive and change the recording paths accordingly yes, but why go to all that when you could just throw a old laptop HDD into the box and record to that ?.
Using a NAS for recording is an often used and convenient way.

Because netowrk drive is visible to both my "machines" and local disk is visible to one only ;-) And I don't have a 2.5" HD ready right now.
Also local drives can be mounted to other boxes (and PC's and the NAS).
So it's virtually unimportant from a technical point of view to where you record and from where you watch. Also for the user this is quite transparent (provided the mounts are setup in a handy way, e.g. with symlinks in the movie list).

alepanz
31-10-12, 15:57
One question, in my home I've a RF modulator (SCART) that connect signal to all TV. In GB quad it's already possible to connect by composite to modulator and watch TV at the same time with HDMI?
Silly question I know.. but..
thanks

marty
31-10-12, 15:59
One question, in my home I've a RF modulator (SCART) that connect signal to all TV. In GB quad it's already possible to connect by composite to modulator and watch TV at the same time with HDMI?
Silly question I know.. but..
thanks

Yes, I do the same here (and did before when I had a Duo)

75mak
06-11-12, 19:13
seeing as no one commented on the other thread about the remote and the sensor on the duo and how it compared to the duo. Can someone here comment what their opinion is of the quad IR sensor.

Do you require a direct line of sight and point the remote straight at the box for it to register. if you can use the remote from wider angles, how good are those angles compared to previous receivers you've used?

Mr. Mister
06-11-12, 19:19
I had never thought of trying this before..

But i have just tried this..

Yes.. It does exactly the same as the Duo and Ultimo..

I can point the remote in the opposite direction.. and remote works perfectly..

75mak
06-11-12, 19:38
thanks for you response,

with that in mind, it looks like i will probably opt to buy this receiver once it has it's teething problems sorted with drivers etc. i usually use a harmony remote this is good news for me the duo2's front lcd display x2 is not much use to me as my receiver is out of direct sight.

unless the duo2 has something really special i think the quad is going to be my next receiver.

alepanz
06-11-12, 20:40
Yes, I do the same here (and did before when I had a Duo)

Mhmmm I connect my QUAD with cable red,yellow,white to scart converter and connect it to RF modulator, but doesn't work..
How you connect to your modulator??

jerry2
06-11-12, 21:36
I use Harmony ONE and I have to point it quite right to work :-( On the plus side, the Harmony works as opposed to Deam Multimedia boxes that have hard trouble with it (sending double presses most of the time).

alepanz
06-11-12, 21:56
Mhmmm I connect my QUAD with cable red,yellow,white to scart converter and connect it to RF modulator, but doesn't work..
How you connect to your modulator??

Sorry, It's my problem.. I connect with SCART out :mad: now I connect to SCART in and It works like a charme!

Rob van der Does
06-11-12, 22:29
LOL, in and out, but from what side of the plug :confused:

75mak
07-11-12, 04:17
I use Harmony ONE and I have to point it quite right to work :-( On the plus side, the Harmony works as opposed to Deam Multimedia boxes that have hard trouble with it (sending double presses most of the time).

do you mean the harmony remote doesn't work as well as the gigablue standard remote in terms of effectiveness without direct line of sight?

Rob van der Does
07-11-12, 07:20
Without having a Quad to prove it, I dare say: no.
I have many boxes and many Harmony's; every Harmony is better in this respect (and other respects!) then any original R/C.

jerry2
07-11-12, 08:51
I'll try later today. So far the harmony remote was allways better but this time I have to test the difference. I was quite dissapointed that I couldn't switch channels from my sofa that is about 50 degress angle from the Quad.

alepanz
07-11-12, 09:05
LOL, in and out, but from what side of the plug :confused:

Lol, I didn't see that on my scart there's a sign OUT (is always to connect it FROM a device, and not reverse!).. I change scart and it's all OK !! ;):cool:

75mak
07-11-12, 19:19
I'll try later today. So far the harmony remote was allways better but this time I have to test the difference. I was quite dissapointed that I couldn't switch channels from my sofa that is about 50 degress angle from the Quad.

did you by any chance own a vu duo? how would your quad remote compare to the duo remote. i think it's well known the duo you can change the channel from very tight narrow angles without even direct line.

I would be concerned by the 50 degree angle as that is nothing like the duo.

Mr. Mister
07-11-12, 19:30
did you by any chance own a vu duo? how would your quad remote compare to the duo remote. i think it's well known the duo you can change the channel from very tight narrow angles without even direct line.

I would be concerned by the 50 degree angle as that is nothing like the duo.

this has already been answered..

You can point the remote in totally the opposite direction and remote still works perfectly..

75mak
07-11-12, 19:41
this has already been answered..

You can point the remote in totally the opposite direction and remote still works perfectly..

yes, thanks for your earlier reply, i was just trying to reconcile your reply with that of jerry who was saying he had issues with his remote at only a 50 degree angle. maybe if he had issue with a duo too, it might just be a problem at his end

madaboutlotus
07-11-12, 23:02
It is interesting to see some good comments on the Quad. My question is, if I have to replace my ailing DB800, why would I pay extra for the Quad over the VU+ Duo? Is it just the faster processor speed or the potential to expand other services from the one box.

Larry-G
08-11-12, 06:28
It is interesting to see some good comments on the Quad. My question is, if I have to replace my ailing DB800, why would I pay extra for the Quad over the VU+ Duo? Is it just the faster processor speed or the potential to expand other services from the one box.

Depends on what you want to get out of the receiver.

The Duo is a well supported and time tested machine that is coming to the end of its life cycle, I have also heard that the manufacturer will be ceasing production if they have not already of the duo and solo models ( true or untrue I don't know ).

now even if this is the case that does not mean that support will cease but driver support etc may be a little thin on the ground as the manufacturer looks towards its newer models.

I have personally still have two duo's and they won't be going any where but being the tech geek I am I would be looking towards what the newer models such as the quad and the yet to be released duo2, solo2 models can offer us. Or even look towards the ultimo as prices of this unit have started to fall and I can say first hand that the ultimo is a very nice receiver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Likvid
08-11-12, 11:21
Or even look towards the ultimo as prices of this unit have started to fall and I can say first hand that the ultimo is a very nice receiver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am torned between getting the Ultimo or 800HD Quad right now, would you say they Ultimo is more solid qualitywise or the same?

marty
08-11-12, 11:30
I have owed a DUO (made by VU the same people as the Ultimo) and I now own a Quad.
The build quality between the two are of the same high standard. I wouldn't say that one is better quality than the other.
The Quad IMHO is let down a little by the fact you have to use a 2.5" HDD which are out performed by the larger 3.5" HDD's and you are limited by the size of 2.5" HDD's BUT this is not a problem if you decide to use an eSATA HDD ;)
The Quad also has an external PSU wich helps keep the box cooler (and smaller) and should the PSU die its cheap and easy to replace (some areas have shite power supplies giving spikes etc, my power is crap and fried my SkyHD boxes PSU twice!!!! but I now use a UPS on my equipment)
The Quad is also cheaper, much faster CPU and outputs 1080p :thumbsup:

But to recap quality on both makes is outstanding :D

Likvid
08-11-12, 15:20
I see some other advantages with the QUAD and that's the external PSU which means less heat inside the receiver and if it brakes down it's easily fixed.

Also the QUAD seems much nicer looking, important for some people like me :-) the Duo was always the ugly duck but performed well, i had two Duos but sold my last one 1 year ago because i wanted the Ultimo and then it never happened and now i am here, glad I waited.

How come DVB-T2 isn't available? the Ultimo doesn't have DVB-T2 tuners to buy either.....a bit strange....

Rob van der Does
08-11-12, 16:26
DVB-T2 is only available in a very limited number of countries; that'll be the reason I presume.

Larry-G
08-11-12, 17:22
I am torned between getting the Ultimo or 800HD Quad right now, would you say they Ultimo is more solid qualitywise or the same?

The Ultimo is a great receiver and i use mine as my primary "family" box, that said when GB sort their drivers the Quad will wipe the floor in almost every respect with the Ultimo.

jerry2
08-11-12, 18:12
Harmony responds much worse than original receiver. I guess I should have programmed every button myself, not taking Gigablue HD 800 from database, maybe the codes are not 100% compatible. The original works with just a small keypress and from every direction.

75mak
08-11-12, 18:20
Harmony responds much worse than original receiver. I guess I should have programmed every button myself, not taking Gigablue HD 800 from database, maybe the codes are not 100% compatible. The original works with just a small keypress and from every direction.

thanks for clarifying. with my experiance even with the duo, my harmony was significantly more responsive even though vu duo remote was good in its own right.

it might be worth you programming it yourself to see if that makes a differance.

Rob van der Does
08-11-12, 18:21
Harmony responds much worse than original receiver.
??? A Harmony is no receiver :confused::confused:
If you have a problem related to the use of a Harmony R/C please make a separate thread for that. There are several simple and good solutions for that.

jerry2
08-11-12, 18:26
Yes, my mistake, I meant original remote. I responded here to someone who needed to know how is harmony doing with Quad.

Rob van der Does
08-11-12, 18:34
Yes, my mistake, I meant original remote. I responded here to someone who needed to know how is harmony doing with Quad.
Nevertheless: if you experience problems in that area, please report so, so we can help. A Harmony should work just fine.

OldSkulRide
08-11-12, 18:57
I wouldnt buy Ultimo, simply becase Quad has better specs. Only problem atm are drivers but thats with all new boxes. If you guys remember, DUO had many more problems at the beginning that QUAD has right now. I am DUO owner from the beginning and it took them a while to sort out their drivers. Even after 2+ years, some issues are not solved, for example vtuner issues, kernel is already outdated, etc. And it seems that they wont be solved as updates happens very rarely now. Not happy about this, will sell DUO soon for sure.

Rob van der Does
08-11-12, 19:25
And it seems that they wont be solved as updates happens very rarely now. Not happy about this, will sell DUO soon for sure.
Even worse: VU+ hasn't provided any serious driver updates for 1.5 years for any of their boxes.
While the list of known issues is huge .........

bluepeter
08-11-12, 20:02
Even worse: VU+ hasn't provided any serious driver updates for 1.5 years for any of their boxes.
While the list of known issues is huge .........

Rob, you appear to be well up on driver updates for E2 receivers. Who in your opinion (E2 rx's only) are the best for the keeping their receivers up to date..... as you say, doesn't matter how good the hardware is, if the software doesn't stay pace then it can end up being a very expensive door stop.

I have one particular piece of electronics that is 8yrs old and still receives s/w support.

Regards
Peter

OldSkulRide
08-11-12, 20:07
It seems that Xtrend are the best in term of drivers quality. I also have ET-5000 and i cant find any flaws.

DUO2 seems like a great successor BUT because of my experience with VU+ drivers releases, i am not sure if its worth the wait!

Rob van der Does
08-11-12, 20:09
Going by driver support Xtrend would be my number 1.
But be aware: results from the past are no guarantee for the future.
And hardware wise I think VU's are superior to the Xtrends.

A collaboration between Xtrend (software) and VU (hardware) would be great.

Having said that: it seems that GB also has a good record in the driver support area.

Choices, choices :confused:

madaboutlotus
09-11-12, 09:39
Hi
On the Gigablue site it states 'Up to 4 HDTV broadcasts record and see another HD broadcast'
How does that acheive that if all four tuners are busy?

Mr. Mister
09-11-12, 09:48
I take it that they are talking about viewing the channels that are on the same transponders as what you are recording..

Rob van der Does
09-11-12, 09:50
I would be surprised to see the Quad have such a limitation: most HD-boxes can record more then 4 + view.

Trial
09-11-12, 11:52
Hi Rob,
the problem is that nobody can guarantee that you can record 4 and watch 1 because it may need 5. If a customer reads 4+1 and then he gets only 3+1 he is disappointed. Better would be 3+1 (with 4 tuner *)

(* more possible depending on the frequencies).

ciao

madaboutlotus
09-11-12, 13:15
Thanks Guys, just thought I would ask. Teetering on the buy button at the moment. Waiting for the guys to get back to me to advise me what image it would come with and if all the latest drivers would be loaded. Unless anyone knows the answer.

Larry-G
09-11-12, 13:17
Thanks Guys, just thought I would ask. Teetering on the buy button at the moment. Waiting for the guys to get back to me to advise me what image it would come with and if all the latest drivers would be loaded. Unless anyone knows the answer.

you can request any image you like be loaded prior to being shipped if buying from the forum sponsor, and yes it would include the latest drivers if using for example ViX.

XabiX
09-11-12, 14:29
GB is going to release new drivers early next week to fix the remaining know issues.
The Quad is their best receiver so for sure they will support it the best as they can in order to fight and win space on the high quality receiver arena.
You can wait until next week to see the release note but I did buy one as I have no doubt GB is going to provide very good support as they did so far.

Stanman
09-11-12, 16:41
If your buying from the sponsor, you an specify which image you want as normally it will ship with the manufacturers own, which is limited in its fuctionality.

Likvid
09-11-12, 17:21
Any discount from the sponsor if being a member here?

madaboutlotus
09-11-12, 17:33
If your buying from the sponsor, you an specify which image you want as normally it will ship with the manufacturers own, which is limited in its fuctionality.

Thanks for that. I have ordered my Quad today with the latest image as posted, so I'm confident that will give me all the functionality I need. As soon asa I have set the box up and used it, I will share my experience.

XabiX
09-11-12, 18:37
Thanks for that. I have ordered my Quad today with the latest image as posted, so I'm confident that will give me all the functionality I need. As soon asa I have set the box up and used it, I will share my experience.

great done, welcome to the small communities of the quad owners :D

madaboutlotus
09-11-12, 19:19
great done, welcome to the small communities of the quad owners :D

Thanks, can't wait to get hold of it. I'm sure there will be many more followers to come. Do you knwo when GB are going to release an English manual? I'm sure it is all very intuitive having used E2 before but it would be nice to have backup.

pooface
09-11-12, 19:40
Any discount from the sponsor if being a member here?

I think there is a forum discount still for members. Pm the sponsor, or search the forum...

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

Larry-G
09-11-12, 19:44
pm the sponsor as forum members get a £5 discount on any stocked receiver.

Stanman
09-11-12, 20:26
There is a ticker at the top of the forum below the name;)

Likvid
09-11-12, 21:55
pm the sponsor as forum members get a £5 discount on any stocked receiver.

Ok i thought it would be something like 10% discount

madaboutlotus
10-11-12, 00:31
There is a ticker at the top of the forum below the name;)

Thanks for that reminder. PM sent with favourable results I hope.:thumbsup:

madaboutlotus
10-11-12, 00:32

That would be nice off the price of the Quad!

judge
10-11-12, 00:39

You do realise the mark-up on these boxes is quite small, right?
A £5 discount on the current price is a nice offer...

markus625
10-11-12, 00:52
Is there any receivers yet that has a tripple dvb-s tuners or the option of having a add-on dvdb-s tuner, the quad and the amiko alien 2 both look great receivers but are limited to just the two dvb-s tuners.

Larry-G
10-11-12, 00:56
Is there any receivers yet that has a tripple dvb-s tuners or the option of having a add-on dvdb-s tuner, the quad and the amiko alien 2 both look great receivers but are limited to just the two dvb-s tuners.

yes the ultimo.

markus625
10-11-12, 01:03
Yes for some reason i forgot about that one, the price of the amiko seems tempting thru, pity you cant add a 3rd dvb-s tuner to it

Larry-G
10-11-12, 06:50

unfortunately if he did that he'd be bankrupt in a very short time. as said above these receivers have a very small profit margin so to make money the sponsor has to sell in quantity. The £5 he knocks off for forum members constitutes quite a saving when you look at it that way.

marty
10-11-12, 09:55
Thanks, can't wait to get hold of it. I'm sure there will be many more followers to come. Do you knwo when GB are going to release an English manual? I'm sure it is all very intuitive having used E2 before but it would be nice to have backup.

Manual would be pointless with VIX :p
The only thing of interest would be the specs printed in the back ;) but you can see those on the GB website.

Don't forget to sort yourself out a hard drive, they will only take a 2.5" (laptop size) HDD internally which are expencive and don't perform as well as full size drives.
A good option is to get an external 3.5" eSATA HDD, box will run cooler too and it will be cheaper/faster/bigger :thumbsup:

rossi2000
10-11-12, 10:36
This is just an STB not a mainframe, hdd specs you don't really need to worry bout as all hdds are way to fast for an stb's capability anyway...

a 2.5" drive is ample, whilst still keeping lower power usage and coolness.

external drives require more power, plus having another device sat next to the unit, looks ugly..

bluepeter
10-11-12, 16:17
Sorry Marty, I'm in total agreement with Rossi. In my Duo I have a 2.5" WD 320Gb sata1 drive that has performed well over several yrs, the Duo is the 3rd receiver it's been in. 2.5" drives are quieter, cooler and draw less power. They aren't as expensive as they use to be. Take a look on fleabay, you can pick up a 1Tb for as little as £45. I don't see the point of running a overly large drive in a sat box, network it and transfer any recordings you want to archive. My 2 other receivers have my NAS mounted, use that to record to, the advantage of this is everyone in the house can watch whichever receiver did the recording. Getting a NAS is one of the best things you'll do if like me you have more than 1 sat box.

Regards
Peter

bluepeter
10-11-12, 16:30
Forgot to mention, a 7200rpm drive in any pvr is a total waste of spindle speed, runs hot and puts more strain on your receiver. A 5400rpm drive is well over specified for any pvr that presently exists on the planet so RW speed is ample for our needs. ssd's I should imagine would be the best solution (no heat) just a shame they too pricey for a glorified radio lol

madaboutlotus
10-11-12, 18:12
Manual would be pointless with VIX :p
The only thing of interest would be the specs printed in the back ;) but you can see those on the GB website.

Don't forget to sort yourself out a hard drive, they will only take a 2.5" (laptop size) HDD internally which are expencive and don't perform as well as full size drives.
A good option is to get an external 3.5" eSATA HDD, box will run cooler too and it will be cheaper/faster/bigger :thumbsup:
Thanks Marty. I have a 2.5 HDD from my old DM880HD so I intend to use that. I have a spare external drive as well just in case the 2.5 gets a bit warm, but I have never had a problem with the 2.5 even in the samll case size of the DM800HD.

madaboutlotus
10-11-12, 18:21
Blast! Just checked my order and out of stock :( Hope they come in soon.

Rob van der Does
10-11-12, 19:11
A dedicated 3.5" DVR-HDD is IMHO the best price/value; they do 5400RPM, use the same amount of power as a normal 2.5" laptop drive and are cheaper.
A SSD is not suited for a DVR as the expected lifespan is too short and the price too high.

bluepeter
10-11-12, 21:46
A dedicated 3.5" DVR-HDD is IMHO the best price/value; they do 5400RPM, use the same amount of power as a normal 2.5" laptop drive and are cheaper.
A SSD is not suited for a DVR as the expected lifespan is too short and the price too high.

Sorry Rob but you need to do a little bit more reading, I'll admit price wise a typical 3.5 hdd is cheaper per Gb, but the laws of physics will tell you that seek times are shorter, (not worth worrying about for pvr use).... but current draw is, 2.5 hdd typically run cooler, less mass to move etc etc.. and sorry about this but you ain't got a clue what you are talking about when it comes to ssd's... I can't be bothered to explain but Google is your friend.....
please don't believe all the hype you may have read concerning ssd's..... I run ssd's in my video editing suite that will probably outlive me.... I'm 52 by the way!

Regards
Peter

PS... just as a side note, the GB quad engineers must have been paranoid about heat. I've never seen a sat box with so many ventilation holes, looks like a piece of Gouda cheese..... I should imagine heat was one of the reasons they decided to use 2.5 over a 3.5hdd especially having left out a cooling fan.... noise being the other factor.... nice to see a big heat sink on the CPU.

marty
10-11-12, 21:52
nice to see a big heat sink on the CPU.

Looks identical to the DUO heatsink ;)

bluepeter
10-11-12, 22:06
Looks identical to the DUO heatsink ;)

Is it the same bloody size? It looks much bigger in the photos I've seen lmao.... that's a shame.

marty
10-11-12, 23:14
Is it the same bloody size? It looks much bigger in the photos I've seen lmao.... that's a shame.

DUO heatsink

QUAD heatsink

Rob van der Does
11-11-12, 05:47
Sorry Rob but you need to do a little bit more reading, I'll admit price wise a typical 3.5 hdd is cheaper per Gb, but the laws of physics will tell you that seek times are shorter, (not worth worrying about for pvr use).... but current draw is, 2.5 hdd typically run cooler, less mass to move etc etc.. and sorry about this but you ain't got a clue what you are talking about when it comes to ssd's... I can't be bothered to explain but Google is your friend.....
please don't believe all the hype you may have read concerning ssd's..... I run ssd's in my video editing suite that will probably outlive me.... I'm 52 by the way!

Regards
Peter

PS... just as a side note, the GB quad engineers must have been paranoid about heat. I've never seen a sat box with so many ventilation holes, looks like a piece of Gouda cheese..... I should imagine heat was one of the reasons they decided to use 2.5 over a 3.5hdd especially having left out a cooling fan.... noise being the other factor.... nice to see a big heat sink on the CPU.
Sorry to say, but I've done plenty of reading and I stick to my conclusion: heavy writing, as is the primary purpose of a DVR-HDD) is (still??) very much limiting the lifespan of an SSD.
But feel free to use an SSD and see how it goes.

And maybe next time you could try to find a bit more friendly way to say that you disagree? You're fully entitled to have a different opinion, but don't say I didn't do my research :rolleyes:

PS: Not sure what your age has got to do with the subject.but thanks for that info :confused:

Rob van der Does
11-11-12, 09:23
Forgot to say: Gouda is not the hole-type of cheese. Coming from quite near Gouda myself, I don't even need Google for that.
Maybe 'Leerdammer' or 'Emmentaler' is more what you meant?

marty
11-11-12, 09:39
I bought my car from a guy in Gouda, really nice guy :thumbsup:
Totally off subject :p I know quite a few people in Holland, they (the Dutch) as a whole seem really nice people.
I once asked a Dutch friend how come you all speak such good English and his reply was "All the good stuff on TV is in English" :D

Rob van der Does
11-11-12, 09:53
"All the good stuff on TV is in English" :D
[Off-Topic mode]That is true indeed. I only watch Dutch TV for some news, most of the rest is English-TV. [\Off-Topic mode]

bluepeter
11-11-12, 13:44
Sorry to say, but I've done plenty of reading and I stick to my conclusion: heavy writing, as is the primary purpose of a DVR-HDD) is (still??) very much limiting the lifespan of an SSD.
But feel free to use an SSD and see how it goes.

And maybe next time you could try to find a bit more friendly way to say that you disagree? You're fully entitled to have a different opinion, but don't say I didn't do my research :rolleyes:

PS: Not sure what your age has got to do with the subject.but thanks for that info :confused:

Apologies for using the wrong cheese.... ;)

3 score yrs & 10 and all that baloney = 18..... I'll let you work the rest out.

I'm assuming you understand wear leveling and it's affects... the average hdd is expected to fail every 1.5 million hrs, make that 2 for the average ssd
As I previously mentioned I run a video editing suite, it's my profession. I use ssd's in raid arrays for that purpose, they get more abuse than any pvr would give them. Admittedly they are not used for storage purposes, it's not yet cost effective..... you will have to get use to the fact that in the not to distant future that solid state will replace mechanical drives. You will find that they all already being used in many servers as failure rate, running cost, heat generation etc etc are much lower.

Regards
Peter

Rob van der Does
11-11-12, 18:12
.......you will have to get use to the fact that in the not to distant future that solid state will replace mechanical drives......
Absolutely, and I will.
Unfortunately we're not in the future yet!

drac
20-11-12, 09:32
Why do they lie about ethernet speed?

root@gbquad:~# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: No
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
Link partner advertised pause frame use: No
Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: ags
Wake-on: d
SecureOn password: 00:00:00:00:00:00
Link detected: yes
root@gbquad:~# 

marty
20-11-12, 10:01

root@gbquad:~# [6nethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
root@gbquad:~# [6n

Maybe when the new kernel and its drivers are released it might be available.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?18852-Gigablue-Quad&p=166086&viewfull=1#post166086

20-11-12, 10:59

root@gbquad:~# [6nethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
root@gbquad:~# [6n

thats the reason i diding get one for me. No ethernet put me off for now.

marty
20-11-12, 11:28
thats the reason i diding get one for me. No ethernet put me off for now.

Just because its not working right now doesn't mean it never will ;)
Early days :p

rossi2000
20-11-12, 14:30
100meg ethernet is ample for a client box unless your using it to serve multpile devices.

Rob van der Does
20-11-12, 14:36
100meg ethernet is ample for a client box unless your using it to serve multpile devices.

What do you think about recording to NAS (or an other box)? 6 recordings going on plus watching a recording. all HD? I think that would require some bandwidth.

rossi2000
20-11-12, 15:43
thats abit extreme 6 @ once but ok then you would need gbit ethernet..

biffa
20-11-12, 19:32
at the moment im getting a better picture on my skybox/openbox f3 , is there a way to make sharper , with more colour more brightness etc,
im using the latest vix quad image, also web app dont work properly.
thanks biffa

OldSkulRide
20-11-12, 19:37
Drivers still dont provide good SD picture. You need to be patient.

marty
20-11-12, 21:16
I find SD fine (on sat channels)
Is the poor SD on terrestriel?

MrKappa
07-12-12, 12:04
Hello', as I'm interested on this receiver I have read this discussion especially to see the progress of software updates and improvements.
Please, what is latest status about the receiver:

- multiple recording and timeshift I understand have been fixed, right?
- media player: what about playing mkv, divx, xvid, mp3
- what about tuner quality and sensitivity?
- what about HbbTV browser and transcoding for mobile devices: it it planned to be supported in the future? Based on specs it should be only matter of software I guess.
- do you know if GB will sell single internal parts (for the time when warranty will end)

Thanks

marty
07-12-12, 12:13
Yes
Seems OK for the files I play (MKV's mainly) I find AVI's a bit jerky at this time.

Seems great, I pike up everything I used to get on my VU+DUO but SNR isn't displayed correctly at this tme (to be fixed soon)

- what about HbbTV browser and transcoding for mobile devices: it it planned to be supported in the future? Based on specs it should be only matter of software I guess.
I don't use those feature so hopefully someone else will reply for this quaestion

- do you know if GB will sell single internal parts (for the time when warranty will end)
Nothing really to repace but tuners will be available next year

Mr. Mister
07-12-12, 12:18
Yes.. All fixed..

Yes.. Played all files i have tried in the last 10 days..

Have had no issues what so ever with tuner sensitivity..

HbbTV is very new to the vix image.. and is still in the early stages of development.. Same for all receivers..

Your looking far ahead of yourself.. and im sure Gigablue will do what other manufacturers do in this area..

marty
07-12-12, 12:24
AVI's still play jerky for me, I'm off to work now but later I'll upload a sample ;)

MrKappa
07-12-12, 13:38
- For example I found very useful on other receivers the skip function pressing numbers instead of simple Fast Forward and Rewind. Is it working the same on GB?
- I guess Hbbtv should be working properly soon as I see now it is included in the specification. I'm confident for this.
- Decoding function: If this is the same CPU of next Vu it make sense that this function should be available in the future, I hope. It's matter of competition and this could be a kind of "killer application" or very attractive for several users.
- Hardware availability: yes. I like to see if the OEM will supply some parts to normal user or if just keep for the some authorized service. Considering that most of the cases these companies are based in Germany or other countries repair require several weeks and it's more problematic. Having some parts may help to solve some common issues.
I see that other suppliers like CT/Xtrend for example does not provide spare parts. I see instead at least the tuners and PSU are available for VU. Unfortunately there is not a common policy for this.

MrKappa
07-12-12, 14:12
AVI's still play jerky for me, I'm off to work now but later I'll upload a sample ;)

I suppose that avi files are coming from different sources so maybe you have some jerky files and some other should be ok, right?
Waiting for some drivers update I would check the avi codec information to see which type of files are not running smoothly.
For few files I would consider to recode with some software.

twol
07-12-12, 20:20
-
I see that other suppliers like CT/Xtrend for example does not provide spare parts. I see instead at least the tuners and PSU are available for VU. Unfortunately there is not a common policy for this.

Certainly never had a problem with getting CT fixed locally (PSU, sound issue)

MrKappa
07-12-12, 21:09
Certainly never had a problem with getting CT fixed locally (PSU, sound issue)

If you mean that we can replace single capacitors or standard parts this is not an issue. I mean the possibility to replace the tuner or the complete PSU or other custom parts. Where did you find them? I got the information from vendor that such parts are only available for service and not for user. I don't want to go to off topic of course, returning to GB it will be nice to see some parts availability in the market.

Cus2k
08-12-12, 08:36
my impression after a period of use the receiver is very interesting, I like it!
but perhaps the building is slightly superficial, I had a broken seal, which I think is poorly designed

I attach a photo of my box!
but ask @sicilian, if found to failure in your box
enlarging your photo, it looks like you!

http://i50.tinypic.com/6h3tpz.jpg

sorry for my english! :(

Sicilian
08-12-12, 08:57

What are you saying :confused: ???

If Quad arrived like that you should return where you purchased. Looks like screw over tightened not poor design, most front panels fit like that.

Cus2k
08-12-12, 09:03
What are you saying :confused: ???

If Quad arrived like that you should return where you purchased. Looks like screw over tightened not poor design, most front panels fit like that.

ok, do not worry, I solve the problem with my seller, I'm not here to complain to you.

just wondering to this community and to you in particular if others have had this experience, you could make me a better picture of the right side of your decoder?

Sicilian
08-12-12, 09:04
Well you are the 1st to report, so I would say no. My unit is fine.

Cus2k
08-12-12, 09:06
Well you are the 1st to report, so I would say no. My unit is fine.

ok, however if anyone has noticed the same defect,
at least can say it here so we are all more relaxed.

maybe if you put together a detailed picture of the part, we are very confident.

ciao
Cus

Cus2k
08-12-12, 09:24
I watched this picture,
would you be so kind as to take a picture here at this point?

I thank you in advance!!

http://i50.tinypic.com/bgvl7d.jpg

MrKappa
08-12-12, 10:29
I have another doubt to solve about this receiver. I guess that normally analoge video signal should work in parallel with HDMI signal and I like to know if someone has tested already.
I need it because of A/V signal repeater I use to bring sat channels to another room. Until now I use scart on CT box but I remember I had an experience on AZbox where these signals was not working in the same time.
Please, anyone can kindly confirm this point? Thanks

Stanman
08-12-12, 16:57
No broke clip here, sorry can't take ic as all setup under telly and pia to remove.

marty
09-12-12, 09:36
I have another doubt to solve about this receiver. I guess that normally analoge video signal should work in parallel with HDMI signal and I like to know if someone has tested already.
I need it because of A/V signal repeater I use to bring sat channels to another room. Until now I use scart on CT box but I remember I had an experience on AZbox where these signals was not working in the same time.
Please, anyone can kindly confirm this point? Thanks

HDMI and analoge both work at the same time on the Quad. :)

warajoker
14-12-12, 22:31
mine had the same problem the right side was the same as shown in the picture and the other side was not connected to the front panel it had somehow snapped of.. and the front panel had become fully loose. i returned it to WOS and they replaced the front panel with a new one and shipped it back the next day
my impression after a period of use the receiver is very interesting, I like it!
but perhaps the building is slightly superficial, I had a broken seal, which I think is poorly designed

http://i50.tinypic.com/6h3tpz.jpg

sorry for my english! :(

mfakray
20-08-13, 21:08
I notice the last post on this thread is fro last October. I am seriously thinking of purchasing one of these boxes and was wondering if the stated issues have been resolved.

skippie
20-08-13, 21:31
I have a quad for almost 10 months now and I can assure you that this is by far the best satellite receiver I've ever had.

No worries at all. A brilliant receiver.
Regularly updated through openvix.

Sent from my V972 Core4 using Tapatalk HD

Rob van der Does
20-08-13, 21:34
I have a quad for almost 10 months now and I can assure you that this is by far the best satellite receiver I've ever had.
LOL Does this say anything about the Quad or about your previous boxes :confused: :D

BubbleBalls
21-08-13, 00:03
Quad is an absolutely great box. Bought it as my second box (main one now) after using the Vu+ Duo. Highly recommended, rock solid and no major issues left to be resolved. Unbeatable value at today's price. Buy one.

Tapatalker

Alec
21-08-13, 11:48
Quad is an absolutely great box. Bought it as my second box (main one now) after using the Vu+ Duo. Highly recommended, rock solid and no major issues left to be resolved. Unbeatable value at today's price. Buy one.

Tapatalker
It seems they have sorted out the main problems, but I would have liked another HDMI output connection.