View Full Version : [VU+ Uno] can i use an 2tb internal hdd

leonius
13-10-12, 14:36
can anyone tell me if i can use an 2tb internal hdd on my vu+ uno
with it taking effect on peformance of my box
thank you

leonius
13-10-12, 14:39
sorry was ment to say can i use one without it having an effect on my box peformance

Stanman
13-10-12, 14:47
Yes you can. A modern hdd is fine.

never used one myself but you may need to partition it as two for box to se it all but msy be wrong.

Rob van der Does
13-10-12, 14:51
Partitioning is not needed; let the box format the drive and you'll be fine.

leonius
13-10-12, 14:55
ok thanks for your help.
i understand that it has to be a sata hdd is this right
thanks

Stanman
13-10-12, 14:56
Yes thats the only connection in the vu range and ETs.

Rob van der Does
13-10-12, 14:58
And preferably use a dedicated DVR-HDD (running on 5400RPM) or a laptop-HDD.

leonius
13-10-12, 15:08
ok thanks for all your speedy advice guys :thumbsup:

Silent
15-10-12, 14:54
I use a 2TB with no problems. I didn't format through the menu though, did it through Telnet to save myself 180GB of space on the drive.

mkfs.ext3 -m 1 /dev/sda1

You can probably use mkfs.ext4 now, or just use 3 then convert it to 4 through the VIX menu.

Rob van der Does
15-10-12, 15:43
Formatting via the GUY does have advantages (apart from being Ext4), as other options are being used, making the drive more suitable for large files.

Silent
16-10-12, 14:06
Formatting via the GUY does have advantages (apart from being Ext4), as other options are being used, making the drive more suitable for large files.

I didn't know that, but still using 200GB for system use is ridiculous, hence why I did it through telnet to reduce it to 20GB.

Rob van der Does
16-10-12, 16:49
I didn't know that, but still using 200GB for system use is ridiculous, hence why I did it through telnet to reduce it to 20GB.
Sorry, I don't understand that. For 'system use'?

Silent
17-10-12, 15:03
Linux reserves 5% of a hard disk for root processes (I thought it was 10). So by default on a 2TB HD, you're losing 100GB. The command I gave reduces it to 1%, which gives you an extra 80GB of space :)

Rob van der Does
17-10-12, 15:06
Linux reserves 5% of a hard disk for root processes (I thought it was 10). So by default on a 2TB HD, you're losing 100GB. The command I gave reduces it to 1%, which gives you an extra 80GB of space :)
Which is of course of no importance at all, and risking other settings not to be optimised for DVR-functionality.

Edit: and you indeed do loose a lot by this. It's not always clever to try to be more clever than clever DVR-firmware designers....

andyblac
17-10-12, 15:15

well infact using that command you will

a) loose some largefile optimisations we perform.
b) we already use -m0 using 0%, so in-fact you are loosing even more space by reserving 1% to root

so think you need to leave these thing to us, ;)

Silent
17-10-12, 15:17
Just goes to show Google isn't all good lol. I haven't suffered yet afaik but if I do, I'll re-format through the GUI.

Edit: Just remembered I couldn't actually format through the GUI and had to do it through Telnet, which is why I initially did it.

Rob van der Does
17-10-12, 15:21
Just goes to show Google isn't all good lol.
Google isn't to blame for this; it's you using the Google finds in a wrong way.
Don't forget: although a Linux-STB is in fact a Linux-PC it is of course only running one specific application. And all settings have been optimised for that application.

JEdit: Just remembered I couldn't actually format through the GUI and had to do it through Telnet, which is why I initially did it.
Well, than you should sort out how to use the GUI for initialisation of the disk. Most likely because the disk is in use; so unmount via mountmanager first.

Silent
17-10-12, 15:34
Google isn't to blame for this; it's you using the Google finds in a wrong way.
Don't forget: although a Linux-STB is in fact a Linux-PC it is of course only running one specific application. And all settings have been optimised for that application.

English humour

Well, than you should sort out how to use the GUI for initialisation of the disk. Most likely because the disk is in use; so unmount via mountmanager first.

Pretty sure I posted about it, had a few suggestions but none worked so I went and looked myself. So far, taking the initiative has given me nearly a year of a problem free set up. It can't all be bad ;)

Rob van der Does
17-10-12, 15:42
English humour
LOL, and that for a Dutchie..... :cool:

Pretty sure I posted about it, had a few suggestions but none worked so I went and looked myself. So far, taking the initiative has given me nearly a year of a problem free set up. It can't all be bad ;)
There have been problems in the past. And of course, it's good to show some initiative when things don't work. I'm not blaming you for that.
And probably you won't run into problems directly, or maybe even never. But as Andy explained: you are missing something (you drive, that is :p ).