PDA

View Full Version : Wierd buzzing noise

Rahat786786
13-10-12, 01:44
Every few days or so my Vu+ Duo makes a buzzing sound like static and I can hear it from the sofa I am sitting on. As soon as I get close to the box to hear the noise it disappears. As soon as I sit back down it reappears. Each time I just push the top of the case down gently and the noise stops. I do have an internal HDD inside which maybe making the noise. I am 100% sure it is fitted properly and works well with timeshift, recording, etc.

The box used to previously run with no hdd standby and I used to put the box on standby at night daily, but am wondering if this also puts the hdd into standby?

If not, I am now going to put the box into deep standby every night.

Rob van der Does
13-10-12, 06:40
When in (normal) standby, the box remains fully functional. If the box is not really in use (no recordings, no streaming) the HDD will go asleep (after the set idle time).
Going by your description, I would suggest the fan might be the culprit. You can check that by stopping it (stick a match between the blades to stop it for some time). Also you can use the fancontrol plugin to stop the fan when the box is in standby (without that plugin the fan will always be active).

Using 'deep standby' isn't a bad idea at all regarding powerconsumption. After all the box will use some 20W on a 24/7-basis. For recordings this is no problem, but streaming is of course not possible then.
I have several boxes that always go to deep sleep.

Rahat786786
13-10-12, 10:07
It doesn't happen often, about once every 2 weeks maybe. So is my fan possibly on the way out or is it just rusty or dust?

Rob van der Does
13-10-12, 10:42
So is my fan possibly on the way out or is it just rusty or dust?
LOL, I can't look into your box.....

Rahat786786
13-10-12, 10:53
Sorry for that, thought it could be a common issue when a fan is dying. Just a light buzzing noise like static, no clicking or anything. Anyways, I checked the fan control in vix and there are two options, basic fan control and something to do with fan duration. How do I set it so that in standby the fan is not running?