PDA

View Full Version : Which new box?

krazylegz
08-10-12, 21:09
I'm sure there's probably other threads out there so sorry in advance.

I've currently got the ET9000 but after a new one. I'm thinking of the VU ultimo, is there any better ones out there?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using fingers and thumbs!

Stanman
08-10-12, 21:11
There is the new bad boy on the block, the Gigablue Quad, sponsor has it on pre order and due in Wed / Thursday.

You could also consider the technimate Twin

Sicilian
09-10-12, 06:07
I'd seriously consider the Gigablue Quad http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receivers/GiGaBlue-QUAD-Linux-Enigma-2-HD-PVR-Digital-Satellite-Receiver-2-DVB-S-S2-2-Plug-and-play-Tuner-Slots

krazylegz
09-10-12, 07:35
Cheers lads, yeah I've seen that but fancy something proven, if you get me.

Like when I got the xtrend, support was fast but seems to have slowed down and still not as well supported as the VU ranges.

I think for this reason I'm swaying towards a VU, it will be a month or so when I get round to getting a new one as I'm in no major hurry as my ET is working spot on, so I'll keep an eye out and see how it pans out on the gigablue

Rob van der Does
09-10-12, 08:26
Cheers lads, yeah I've seen that but fancy something proven, if you get me.
I think you have a serious good point there. If you're not in a hurry, or a gadget-lover, I would await serious feedback on what the box really does. And I would always await plugin DVB-S2 tuners ti be available, otherwise the extra slots are quite useless (apart from DVB-C/T, but that can easily be obtained by USB-tuners).

twol
09-10-12, 09:45
I think you have a serious good point there. If you're not in a hurry, or a gadget-lover, I would await serious feedback on what the box really does. And I would always await plugin DVB-S2 tuners ti be available, otherwise the extra slots are quite useless (apart from DVB-C/T, but that can easily be obtained by USB-tuners).

Yep, but you need to time just right! - after they have found the bugs, and before it is replaced with the next "super" model. I love my ET9200 but it seems to have come and gone very quickly (there are a few left on amazon.de but they are higher price now than when I bought mine in May), with Xtrend pushing newer models.

Rob van der Does
09-10-12, 10:03
That's indeed a problem: either you're too early and ran into problems that might or might not be fixed in due course, or the box has been superseded by a new (much better!) model.
And indeed, Xtrend is very very quick indeed with bringing out new boxes. Not sure if that's the best policy for client-fidelity.........

It looks like margins on STB's are very low these days, thus 'forcing' manufacturers to hit the market as soon as a box does 'something'.

krazylegz
09-10-12, 16:46
Yeah that's what I found with my ET9000, had just come when I got it, but not long after there's a new one out.

I would love to just buy one now but I've got the little ones birthday next month and get the christmas presents sorted first, then hopefully there'll be a few reviews on the gigablue

Rob van der Does
09-10-12, 16:51
Yeah that's what I found with my ET9000, had just come when I got it, but not long after there's a new one out.
LOL, A new one?
After the 9000 came the 9100 came the 9200 came the 9500 :(

Larry-G
09-10-12, 17:04
LOL, A new one?
After the 9000 came the 9100 came the 9200 came the 9500 :(
add to those the 9110 and the 9200 silverline edition boxes too.

Rob van der Does
09-10-12, 17:09
add to those the 9110 and the 9200 silverline edition boxes too.
Yeah, you're right, my memory can't keep up with this manufacturer....... :confused:
I think the 9200 even had 3 versions :rolleyes:

basilyoung
09-10-12, 17:18
in many respects, we were better off in the days of dreambox or dreambox...or for something different....dreambox

there are quite a few good options out there now, and on the surport side of things, harder to keep up, many of us have several units, all tested and developed

only for yet more units to come onto the market,

but I must admit, the giga blue looks like it might land up with my collection

which ever unit you go for though, be it x trend/vu/giga or dreambox ( not surported by VIX ) you wont be sorry

Larry-G
09-10-12, 17:43
I loved my old DM7020 Si it was a fantastic box and i still have it, but now we have a vast amount of receivers to choose from and thats a good thing for us the consumer, as there is no longer a single manufacturer at the top able to set it's own prices. now we have monsters like the gigablue quad coming out at a price that even the clone friendly brigade cant argue with.

Stanman
09-10-12, 19:16
The gigablue is lovely piece of kit but if you are prepared to hold on than the DUO2 is due soon - not sure if the processor and ram etc are as good as the GB but price may be dearer for the DUO2

coryhopwood
28-10-12, 18:39
I'm sure there's probably other threads out there so sorry in advance.

I've currently got the ET9000 but after a new one. I'm thinking of the VU ultimo, is there any better ones out there?

Cheers

Hi
I have just installed the VU+Ultimo

My initial thoughts.....

The process of installation was pretty effortless as i followed a great tutorial on here

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?8704-How-to-Install-CCcam-MGCamd-amp-other-softcam-s-on-ALL-ViX-supported-Enigma-2-Receivers

Tutorial works perfect....make sure you flash the box with the most recent Vix image before starting the tutorial.

The Ultimo provides an excellent picture on my set up and i am currently very pleased with it.
I also have a gigablue Ue which is also a great product

The set up of both boxes was pretty effortless and when i got stuck got some great help on this forum!

I am also hoping to get the Quad but am waiting on the bugs to be ironed out....the ultimo is a great alternative mind
:)
CH