PDA

View Full Version : VU DUO - Dead Tuners?

energysolutions
08-10-12, 09:10
First post so hello all

Unfortunately I am having issues with my VU+ Duo - Ive only had the box around 2 months but it seems like the tuners (or one at least) have died

The box ran like a train since I got it until last week when out of nowhere it seemed to lose its way - suddenly no channels were displayed and the basic info that appears when I change channels no longer shows the correct time etc (the box is perfect in every other way - menus etc same as they always appeared)

I have tried to update the firmware but cant honestly say if Ive been successful but I have succeeded in losing my channel lists etc (which I had organised/arranged)

I have verified the dish/cable/connections with another box (working fine) and have tested voltage output on the tuners and one appeared to have DC voltage present (somewhere in the teens - cant remember the exact figure) and the other seemed to have no power

Any ideas or how can I fault find to see where my issue lies? Ive just wasted an entire day and got nowhere (except stressing me out!) - I must forewarn that I am still finding my feet with these boxes and may need anything technical explained in baby steps

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance

Sicilian
08-10-12, 09:17
I would personaly test on another dish/feed. I come accross occaisions where there is a short in the feed that other receivers dont sense, but the VU's do.

pooface
08-10-12, 09:20
Also, might be worth doing a complete flash again, and then intalling one of the pre-installed channel lists from the feeds...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

energysolutions
08-10-12, 09:27
I already tried that too - took it to my cousins house and verified that his sky box was working fine (both feeds) and then tried mine (still nothing) - plugged his back in and it worked again

I also took it to my mates house who runs a Dreambox and same thing (his box worked perfect both before and after and mine shows no pictures) - he then brought his dreambox to my house and verified that my dish was working

Am I correct in saying that if I go into the boxes setting and do a "Factory Reset" that this leaves it in the same state as when I first unboxed it and plugged it in? If I then go through the menus and select "28.2" do a scan I should be getting Freesat channels?

Does that sound right or am I missing something? (ie channels lists required or something?)

energysolutions
08-10-12, 09:29
Also, might be worth doing a complete flash again, and then intalling one of the pre-installed channel lists from the feeds...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah, that makes sense

This is where my lack of time/experience with these boxes lets me down - how do I go about this?

Sicilian
08-10-12, 09:29
I already tried that too - took it to my cousins house and verified that his sky box was working fine (both feeds) and then tried mine (still nothing) - plugged his back in and it worked again

I also took it to my mates house who runs a Dreambox and same thing (his box worked perfect both before and after and mine shows no pictures) - he then brought his dreambox to my house and verified that my dish was working

Am I correct in saying that if I go into the boxes setting and do a "Factory Reset" that this leaves it in the same state as when I first unboxed it and plugged it in? If I then go through the menus and select "28.2" do a scan I should be getting Freesat channels?

Does that sound right or am I missing something? (ie channels lists required or something?)

Re-flash as advised above to be sure.

energysolutions
10-10-12, 23:55
Re-flash as advised above to be sure.

I reflashed tonight, selected 28.2 and rescanned - still ZERO channels (surely I should get Freesat channels after doing this?)

Faulty tuners......?

basilyoung
11-10-12, 00:11
I doubt that both tuners would be faulty,

where did you get the unit from first of all, and how much was it?

what image have you on the unit, ie, VIX 3?

have you done an online update ( if vix image...menu/setup/software update )

also try going to plugins, ( menu / plugins /green button = download plugins...select settings....catseye )

Sicilian
11-10-12, 05:12
I reflashed tonight, selected 28.2 and rescanned - still ZERO channels (surely I should get Freesat channels after doing this?)

Faulty tuners......?

Doubtful, have you tried connecting to another dish and lnb? I'm yet to see a Duo with faulty tuners.

Rob van der Does
11-10-12, 06:01
And, daft as it may sound, please check your tunerconfiguration.

energysolutions
14-10-12, 16:53
I doubt that both tuners would be faulty,

where did you get the unit from first of all, and how much was it?

what image have you on the unit, ie, VIX 3?

have you done an online update ( if vix image...menu/setup/software update )

also try going to plugins, ( menu / plugins /green button = download plugins...select settings....catseye )

I`m starting to think both tuners ARE faulty - Ive just tested both and neither is outputting ANY voltage

I purchased the unit via Ebay from "XXXXXX" click
here

I`m pretty sure it is a genuine box if thats what you're asking

I`m running the latest Blackhole image

Ive set both tuners to simple and 28.2E but scanning finds zero channels

Opinions

Stanman
14-10-12, 16:57
No live links or adverts for other suppliers.

I am afraid its looking like your gonna have to contact the seller,

energysolutions
14-10-12, 17:28
No live links or adverts for other suppliers.

I am afraid its looking like your gonna have to contact the seller,

Apologies, I wasnt trying to endorse/plug said company, simply answer the question that had been asked

I suspect that the box has failed and my next move will be to contact the supplier

Just to be clear can anyone clarify that both LNB connections should have voltage present when the box is powered up?

energysolutions
14-10-12, 17:49
I have just emailed the company in question and outlined my issues, hopefully we can work together to find a solution

Rob van der Does
14-10-12, 17:51
Just to be clear can anyone clarify that both LNB connections should have voltage present when the box is powered up?
If both the tuners have been configured and the box is not in standby: yes.

basilyoung
14-10-12, 18:44
please keep us informed about the situation, and responces from the seller, hopefully it was just bad luck, and hopefully a positive responce from the seller

and yes, my question was basiclly trying to find out if you have a clone, ( no dig at yourself )

energysolutions
14-10-12, 18:50
please keep us informed about the situation, and responces from the seller, hopefully it was just bad luck, and hopefully a positive responce from the seller

and yes, my question was basiclly trying to find out if you have a clone, ( no dig at yourself )

No offence taken - I can understand why that would be a factor

I have been directed to the sellers own support forum and have left a post, just have to play the waiting game now

Thanks for the help - I will update as things develop

energysolutions
14-10-12, 18:52

Does this setup sound correct?

After restoring the box to factory default ("Factory reset" in the sub menus) - this didnt remove Black Hole (I thought it would) but it did seem to reset the box as it asked me various setup questions:

1) Video input selection - I chose "HDMI"
2) Video Mode selection - I chose "720P"
3) Some Brightness and Contrast tests
4) Language - I chose "English"

I then used the wizard to setup the basic features:

"Tuner A" seup

Configuration mode - simple
Mode - Single
Satellite - Astra 1N/2A/2B/2D/Eutelsat 28A (28.2E)
Send DiSEqC - No

Tuner B is set the same way

I am then asked if I want to install default satellite lists and I answer "Yes" only to be informed that "There are no default services lists in your image"

I then do an automatic scan and zero services are found

Is this procedure correct? I had hoped that doing this would find my Freesat channels on 28.2 but no luck

s1m0nw
14-10-12, 19:13
if you do an automatic scan u should pick up like 1000 channels. Best thing to try is get latest ch list or use autobouquets. Your setup is fine as far as i can see.

if that doesnt work then its best to get onto the seller of the product. In all my searching for help on these boxes never have i came across one stating the tuners are faulty.

Once you get a ch list on try going to BBC one see what comes of it - does it say tuner fail or check tuner etc

energysolutions
14-10-12, 20:24
if you do an automatic scan u should pick up like 1000 channels. Best thing to try is get latest ch list or use autobouquets. Your setup is fine as far as i can see.

if that doesnt work then its best to get onto the seller of the product. In all my searching for help on these boxes never have i came across one stating the tuners are faulty.

Once you get a ch list on try going to BBC one see what comes of it - does it say tuner fail or check tuner etc

Ive just updated the boot loader and installed the latest black hole

I then configured the tuners as outlined before and downloaded the catseye channel lists from the BH server

This gave me freesat bouquets and channels but still nothing - zero - no message of any description when channels are selected

I also noticed that the details displayed on the small info panel that pops up when I switch channels still has the wrong date/time etc so if its being updated by the satellite (I`m assuming it is) then that aint happening

Opinions?

energysolutions
14-10-12, 20:30

I firmly believe this is the source of my problem, ie a blown power supply or similar

satmanbasil
14-10-12, 22:14
Hi mate

Have you been into the tuner settings and checked manual satellite finder input the bird your dish is pointing at the input the transpoder details of one of the popular channels and your see the signal strength this might confirm the dish side is working ok.
Also why not try and install the manufactures original image and see if that gets you working you might as well while your waiting on the seller to reply.

regards

basilyoung
14-10-12, 22:26
on another forum, ( from where the unit was indirectly bought ) the same poster, along with there MODs/Admin have concluded that the unit needs to be returned to the seller, so unless the OPoster wants to keep this thread alive, other than the final outcome, which hope fully will be posted here, the problem is all but resolved,

energysolutions
10-11-12, 23:46
*Update*

Turns out there was an issue with the box itself and it had to be returned to the manufacturer for a warranty repair

I received the box back on Tuesday and I finally got round to setting it up today

Everything seems good, box appears to work fine and *********** kept me up to date throughout

A faulty product can and will pop up now and then but its how the supplier deals with it that differentiates good from bad - *********** have passed with flying colours

Thanks for the help guys

basilyoung
11-11-12, 00:08
Thank you for the update,