PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to watch a live stream when remotely accessing the vu+ web interface

kyle_lopez
09-09-10, 22:19
is it possible to watch a live stream when remotely accessing the vu+ web interface

grtmoby
09-09-10, 23:08
yes it is possible
just click on the computer icon at the right most of the channel name but it is preferable to have latest vlc installed and set as the default player for .m3u files on the computer

pooface
10-09-10, 09:44
As grt says, it's possible. But to do it that way, you will need a very good upload speed (if by remotely I understand you correctly by meaning you want to watch it from, for example, work?!).

Most of the streams require an upload stream of around 3-4mb/s. Most ISPs only offer at max 2mb/s upload (and more offer considerably less than this). Therefore, if you want to stream remotely, you will need to encode the stream on the fly...

There is a thread about doing this here (http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?525-Simple-streaming-VU-to-PC&p=9070&viewfull=1#post9070) (although I haven't tried it since I wrote the thread, but should still work I'd imagine :p)...

parkher
10-09-10, 15:58
Also, you need a fast multi-core processor to be able to watch hd channels, because vlc with its internal h.264 codec is not using hardware acceleration nor CUDA (I think).
I tried watching streams from my Duo on various computers, SD always streaming perfectly, but HD works only on fast computers, even then, sometimes the browser breaks or something, but once started, usually vlc is playing 1080i h.264 just fine, without any freezes or glitches, audio sync also ok (on quad-core).
The upload speed is not a factor for me (seen U: 9.5 MB/s with uTorrent which translates to what - about 80 Mbps ?), but the download speed at the location of the remote PC also sometimes is a factor for HD channels.

pooface
10-09-10, 16:01
The upload speed is not a factor for me (seen U: 9.5 MB/s with uTorrent which translates to what - about 80 Mbps ?), but the download speed at the location of the remote PC also sometimes is a factor for HD channels.

Is that at a home address?! Would love an inet connection with just even that download speed, never mind upload speed!!! Fast download speed I've had is 2.25mb/s... Upload, I'm lucky to get higher than 120kb/s...

parkher
10-09-10, 16:40
I am buying 1.5 TB hard drives 10 at a time, it runs into some money.
So there are pros and cons ....

pooface
10-09-10, 20:14
I am buying 1.5 TB hard drives 10 at a time, it runs into some money.
So there are pros and cons ....

You could always not download so much :p