PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] VU Duo

Grumpy
04-10-12, 21:42
Hi

I have a VU duo running the latest vix image. I have had to re flash it twice in 3 days, due it freezing on the startup screen. resetting the box does not work, non of the remote buttons do anything.

1. Is this related to the recent post about a bug?
2. Does anyone know how to get around it ( older version maybe)?

I was advised to use the VIX image, but others have mentioned Blackhole. Any recommendations from people in the know?

Thanks

Stanman
04-10-12, 21:45
What image build did you come from?

Have you updated the bootloader

Grumpy
04-10-12, 22:02
This is the file i downloaded. I had it running then it crashed.
openvix-3.0.204-vuduo_usb

What bootloader should i be using? as i have not installed anything else, which maybe why i'm having problems.

Stanman
04-10-12, 22:03
What was the image build you were using before trying to update?

Larry-G
04-10-12, 22:08
This is the file i downloaded. I had it running then it crashed.
openvix-3.0.204-vuduo_usb

What bootloader should i be using? as i have not installed anything else, which maybe why i'm having problems.

Build 204 is a very old image now as we are currently on build 350. Try updating to this version to see if your problems still exist.

Grumpy
04-10-12, 22:11
How would i find out?
Basically i had a brand new box, flashed it with the above image and it worked for a day, then it crashed.
Was told to reflash using manufacturers update, then re-flash using VIX image, after about a day and a half, it crashed again.
I'm not sure of where to find out what build it is?

Stanman
04-10-12, 22:11
What was the image build you were using before trying to update?

Sorry blond moment!!!!!!!

When it freezes after image flash do you have any other device connected to the USB? such as USB tuner or HDD, if so try removing them and see if it boots up.

If you were running 204, bootloader should already have been flashed

Grumpy
04-10-12, 22:16
Nothing connected to usb, just an internal 1tb seagate HDD

Larry-G
04-10-12, 22:17
Try using a newer image build as the one you are using is a old build now and it is possible that the problem you are suffering has already been fixed in later builds.

Stanman
04-10-12, 22:20
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?18171-New-VIX-Image-Vu-Duo-Version-2-4-15-05-2012

The bootloader is in there and you flash it the same as an image. If you been running 3 .204, than it should not been needed.

I would go through the flash again and make sure USB is formatted to FAT32.

When you are flashing the duo what text do you get on the front VFD?

Grumpy
04-10-12, 22:23
can you point me in the right direction of build 350, i can only find openvix3.0.343

Stanman
04-10-12, 22:26
Download 343 and than you can update via softwareupdate to latest version.

There is a bug in 343 or 345 than prevents online update but it is fixed in later updates and you may need to run the command in first post by Sic here in windowns command console or putty

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?21761-All-ViX-users-please-read!

Grumpy
04-10-12, 22:28
thanks for your help. I'll give that a go and see how i get on
:thumbsup:

Grumpy
04-10-12, 23:28
1 more thing. Do i need a seperate bootloader with build 343?

basilyoung
04-10-12, 23:32
the boot loader needs to be installed first, and seperately, once done, any VIX 3 image should load via usb with out issue

Larry-G
04-10-12, 23:33
1 more thing. Do i need a seperate bootloader with build 343?

no, the bootloader has not changed for the duo since mid way through the ViX 2.3 series

cosie
05-10-12, 04:43
Build 204 is a very old image now as we are currently on build 350. Try updating to this version to see if your problems still exist.

I'm on build 204 and never had a crash of any discryption,looking at all the feedback it looks the most stable if I was asked:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Grumpy
05-10-12, 09:38
ARRGGHHHH.
This is doing my nut in now. Woke up this morning after getting it running, and again all i get is the openvix startup screen and it stays there. No buttons on the remote work.
I updated to Build 343 then used telnet to update to 350. Was working a treet when i went to bed.

Has anyone seen a faulty duo as i'm thinking this maybe the case?

Anyone any further suggestions on what the problem could be?

mickyblueys
05-10-12, 09:59
I have similar problem on my duo, some mornings when I wake up and turn box on from overnight deep stand by. It fails to boot up correctly and displays"starting"on VFD. Nothing on the remote works I have to switch of at back of box and then switch back on it usually does the trick but it is an annoyance . I to am currently running latest vix 350 build but I have had this problem for a couple of weeks now. So it is not related to this build...I think.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

deleted
05-10-12, 10:37
If it's a clone... too bad

If it's still under warranty bring it back and get a new one.

If it's out of warranty, go get a new box, but stay clear of VU+
OR
If it's out of warranty, and you've got the skill, try googling on the following matter "VU DUO C807 220uF 16v with a newone or with 330uF 16v on motherboard", perhaps you've got something similar.

Either way, at the end of 2011 the VU DUO was a great box, but starting 2011/2012 with the new kernel, it's a piece of crap, including mine wich is sitting in the closet in his box.

mickyblueys
05-10-12, 12:49

OR
If it's out of warranty, and you've got the skill, try googling on the following matter "VU DUO C807 220uF 16v with a newone or with 330uF 16v on motherboard", perhaps you've got something similar.

Either way, at the end of 2011 the VU DUO was a great box, but starting 2011/2012 with the new kernel, it's a piece of crap, including mine wich is sitting in the closet in his box.

Who are you giving this advice too?
Mine is brand new and it is not a clone I bought it from wos.

Saying it is a piece of crap....seems to be putting you in a small minority as most other opinions I have read on many sites not just this one, state it is one the best receivers on the market

Larry-G
05-10-12, 13:04

OR

I have a original v1.3 Vu+ Duo and it has never had any problems with any kernel version new or old. yes some and it's only a very small percentage, have a issue with the newer 3.1.1 kernel images and a potential memory leak which Vu are aware of and trying to fix, but in my opinion the duo is by far one of the best receivers on the market and trounces any / all of the DM range.

Larry-G
05-10-12, 13:05
I have similar problem on my duo, some mornings when I wake up and turn box on from overnight deep stand by. It fails to boot up correctly and displays"starting"on VFD. Nothing on the remote works I have to switch of at back of box and then switch back on it usually does the trick but it is an annoyance . I to am currently running latest vix 350 build but I have had this problem for a couple of weeks now. So it is not related to this build...I think.

how is your EPG setup ?

mickyblueys
05-10-12, 13:13
I have it saved to USB, it does An update at around 1:00 am then I have box to go into Standby five mins later.

Larry-G
05-10-12, 14:04
I have it saved to USB, it does An update at around 1:00 am then I have box to go into Standby five mins later.

as the duo has a relatively low around of memory it may be wise to try a temporary swap file while updating the EPG.

mickyblueys
05-10-12, 14:28
as the duo has a relatively low around of memory it may be wise to try a temporary swap file while updating the EPG.

Could you please elaborate......I'm new to this. Cheers!

deleted
05-10-12, 14:54
I was speaking from personal experience, the VU DUO was a great if not the greatest box, but it sure as hell isn't anymore, when I was planning to buy one, I did my research and indeed it was the best at the time, but those people who were suffering from the never ending driver problems, well they are still waiting for a fix I think.

All those sites you read? Did they also include other languages than English? And didn't this topic start because the VU DUO wasn't working?

I don't like to bring bad news..... but buying a VU DUO today isn't the smartest thing to do, that's my personal view on the matter. My VU DUO was also crashing with EPG imports, hanging at the message "Starting...", bought an Xrend 9500 and never looked back, it's the better STB between the two.

mickyblueys
05-10-12, 15:47
All those sites you read? Did they also include other languages than English? And didn't this topic start because the VU DUO wasn't working?.

Why would i want to read a site other than an english one when i'm ENGLISH???.....if it's not good enough for you, why do you come and post on a site that is predominantly in ENGLISH.

regarding my box nobody asked you to come on and start bashing the vu duo, the post started because help was asked for. if you can't help then don't waste my time with you're effort.
Thank you.

there are constructive people out there trying to help!!

Larry-G
05-10-12, 16:04
Could you please elaborate......I'm new to this. Cheers!

Unlike the newer models the duo and solo have a relatively low amount of memory which can become overwhelmed during EPG downloads, and cause the box to crash. rather than putting it into deepstandby then forcing it to wake to reload the EPG try putting it is normal standby with a swap file activated to take up the slack.

Then set the box to go into deep sleep say ten minutes after the time the EPG is set to run.

mickyblueys
05-10-12, 16:18
Unlike the newer models the duo and solo have a relatively low amount of memory which can become overwhelmed during EPG downloads, and cause the box to crash. rather than putting it into deepstandby then forcing it to wake to reload the EPG try putting it is normal standby with a swap file activated to take up the slack.

Then set the box to go into deep sleep say ten minutes after the time the EPG is set to run.

thanks for the response but i'm not sure if i get it completely, my set-up is the box is on/or in normal standby(only)..... it does the auto EPG update then five minutes later i have it set to go into standby then a couple of minutes later it is set to go into deep standby. Is this wrong???

how would i set-up a swap file??? pardon my ignorance

deleted
05-10-12, 16:21
Why would i want to read a site other than an english one when i'm ENGLISH???.....if it's not good enough for you, why do you come and post on a site that is predominantly in ENGLISH.

regarding my box nobody asked you to come on and start bashing the vu duo, the post started because help was asked for. if you can't help then don't waste my time with you're effort.
Thank you.

there are constructive people out there trying to help!!

I'm not bashing the vu duo, just stating the facts. I asked for the language, because if you read forums in other languages you would have known the problems, there is more than 1 language in the world.

I am trying to help, I gave multiple solutions, one of them being "try googling on the following matter "VU DUO C807 220uF 16v with a newone or with 330uF 16v on motherboard"", the problems that you guys experience could be hardware related...

Don't stick your head in the ground because you think that the VU DUO is almighty and that it isn't the box it's fault for not working correctly, there is nothing wrong with the VIX image, no matter how many times you flash, if you don't fix the problem where the problem needs to be fixed, you can flash until your fingers bleed.

I'm trying to help, but you don't want any help that doesn't sound good to your ears.

Stanman
05-10-12, 16:27
Guys discuss the merits of the box as much as you want but please do not make it personal.

deleted
05-10-12, 16:33
Nothing personal from my end...

But people need to understand that whenever something goes wrong it's not the fault of the VIX image. They also need to accept that there are faulty VU+ DUO's and that some issues are driver related and VU+ needs to fix these things, but it rather sells ULTIMO's and UNO's, ....

If you are one of those people with a bad working VU DUO, you can keep flashing changing settings as much as you won't, but it won't help.

And this is not my fault, I'm just the messenger with the bad news here.

mickyblueys
05-10-12, 17:00
i never automatically assumed it was a fault with the image i only posted because somebody had started the thread with a similar problem. but what i don't quite understand is i have ran several image build versions from 2.3 up over and the problem has only just arisen in the last week and a half. if it is a fault with the box "and it maybe, i don't know" i would have expected the problem to have occurred on all images then and not just recently. The problem occuring randomly and not all of the time has thrown me also.

as i've said in other posts i'm no expert I'm new to this and i am only after constructive advice.

I'm not upto the user level of changing anything on my motherboard as you suggest, so if that is the only fix then.... yes i'll just have to lump it and make do. it is one small annoyance of a problem, but there are so many positives this box does.... i'm still a happy camper!:)

deleted
05-10-12, 17:10
The VU DUO has a few problems, I can't be 100% sure that you've got them, but not booting and showing a red LED, is a sign that something on the motherboard went bad, if it's crashing on epg import, I suggest you go look for an old image with kernel 2.6.. just as a test, since VU switched to kernel 3.0, they messed something up in their drivers wich causes a few problems, perhaps you changed your habbits, importing some more epg, a bigger channel list, .... something that now floods the bucket(or in this case the memory) that before didn't happen.

Also not everyone seems to be impacted, I've read that using an HHD increases the risk, there are a lot of factors involved, why some have it and others don't.

And a lot of posts, that are saying the VU DUO is the best, are from before the new kernel and when the only competitor was Dream.

mickyblueys
05-10-12, 17:42
i don't have a problem with it getting a red LED . the problem i get is sometimes when booting up it gets stuck with the VFD saying "starting" and i am unable to change the channel or go into menu or even pressing the standby button on the remote. it gets stuck with the last channel loaded and i have to switch off at the rear of the box for ten seconds or so then switch back on. then everything seems to work fine.

deleted
05-10-12, 18:52
I've read that it begins with stuck at starting and eventually it ends with just a red LED burning, but almost all cases were boxes that were almost two years old or just over, if they replaced 1 thing on the motherboard, it worked like brand new, but since your box is brand new, that can't be the case.

All I can suggest in your case is, try an older image with 2.6 kernel, if that works 1000% OK, try an original image, with a new 3.0 kernel, if that also works 1000%, than there could be something wrong with the VIX image, if it also has the problem with the original image, get in contact with VU+ and start complaining like a mad man, so that they at least try to fix the problem.

Al the VIX images are basically the same across the different brands, except drivers, those are vendor specific, I also had the stuck at "starting" with my vu duo and that was with VIX 2.4, so it's also not VIX 3.0 related.

It's a real :confused: problem...

Rob van der Does
05-10-12, 19:40
I was speaking from personal experience, the VU DUO was a great if not the greatest box, but it sure as hell isn't anymore, when I was planning to buy one, I did my research and indeed it was the best at the time, but those people who were suffering from the never ending driver problems, well they are still waiting for a fix I think.

All those sites you read? Did they also include other languages than English? And didn't this topic start because the VU DUO wasn't working?
My DUO is also RIP in it's box for the very same reason as ocram mentioned.

Why would i want to read a site other than an english one when i'm ENGLISH???.....
That has nothing to do with being English, but with the fact that many sites in other languages offer a lot of information; not all is also in English/on English sites.

player1
05-10-12, 20:51
Download 343 and than you can update via softwareupdate to latest version.

There is a bug in 343 or 345 than prevents online update but it is fixed in later updates and you may need to run the command in first post by Sic here in windowns command console or putty

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?21761-All-ViX-users-please-read!

This doesn't work for me I'm afraid.
Any chance of just posting 350 or the latest version ?

When I telnet it goes through the motions but but my TV screen goes black and the box locks up.

Rob van der Does
05-10-12, 21:04
This doesn't work for me I'm afraid.
Any chance of just posting 350 or the latest version ?

When I telnet it goes through the motions but but my TV screen goes black and the box locks up.
LOL, this works for all boxes. And the TV goes black, because shutting down your box is part of this upgrade procedure. Just give it it's time, and the box will come up again with the latest updates.

player1
05-10-12, 21:06
LOL, this works for all boxes. And the TV goes black, because shutting down your box is part of this upgrade procedure. Just give it it's time, and the box will come up again with the latest updates.

What sort of timespan am I looking at Rob ?
Last night I let it run for 20 minutes or so before giving up.

Rob van der Does
05-10-12, 21:09
Might be 20 minutes. Actually you can follow all in telnet.
You can also give the commands separate, i.e.:

init 4
opkg update
opkg upgrade
init 6
maybe that makes it easier to follow.

player1
05-10-12, 22:31
Might be 20 minutes. Actually you can follow all in telnet.
You can also give the commands separate, i.e.:

init 4
opkg update
opkg upgrade
init 6
maybe that makes it easier to follow.

Welcome to OpenViX for vuduo
openvix 3.0 vuduo

vuduo login: root
root@vuduo:~# init 4 && opkg update && opkg upgrade && init 6
Downloading http://enigma2.world-of-satellite.com/feeds/3.0/vuduo/3rdparty/Packages.gz.

Been sat like this for 40 minutes now. It appears nothing is happening.

Reciever display saying " VU+ Duo" and TV screen black.

Tkr001
05-10-12, 23:22
Are you sure your network is setup correctly and working with your box? What happens when you do a network test?

Rob van der Does
06-10-12, 05:54
Welcome to OpenViX for vuduo
openvix 3.0 vuduo
vuduo login: root
root@vuduo:~# init 4 && opkg update && opkg upgrade && init 6
Downloading http://enigma2.world-of-satellite.com/feeds/3.0/vuduo/3rdparty/Packages.gz.

Been sat like this for 40 minutes now. It appears nothing is happening.
Reciever display saying " VU+ Duo" and TV screen black.
Please telnet 'ping www.world-of-satellite.com' and post the outcome (stop the pinging with control-c).

player1
06-10-12, 10:14
Please telnet 'ping www.world-of-satellite.com' and post the outcome (stop the pinging with control-c).

Hi Rob I'm very pleased to say I've found the problem.
After weeks of ripping my hair out at not being able to get the feeds working, I simply replaced my 10 metre network cable for a 2 metre one and everything began working like magic.

It had been baffling me for a long time because with the long cable things went through the motions but never finished.

A big thanks to you and all the team and forum members who have helped me with advice in this and other threads in trying to solve my issue.
Now I can enjoy Vix to it's full capacity.

I shouldn't cross post but I'm going to post this in the other thread too . That way more people can see what a simple solution was found to my problem even though I
do look a bit of a plonker now. :D

Stanman
06-10-12, 14:41
Yes Rodney:D

basilyoung
06-10-12, 15:18
well to be fair, if every thing else network wise is working, its not an obvious fault to see or find, simple as it was in the end, and thanks for being both honest, and posting the solution