PDA

View Full Version : New Gigablue SE

fs1
04-10-12, 00:54
Waiting for new box to arrive from sponsor, which I believe will be pre installed with latest VIX image.

If I want to change image, is the process to update Gigablue just like updating a VU DUO were image is placed on USB stick and box is restarted?

Thanks
fs1

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Larry-G
04-10-12, 00:56
I am not 100 percent sure about the process of flashing this receiver but i do believe it is very similar to if not almost the same as flashing a Vu. I would advise that you first setup the Image the box is shipped with, then make a series of backups before trying any others.

fs1
04-10-12, 01:10
[Phoenix;162114]I am not 100 percent sure about the process of flashing this receiver but i do believe it is very similar to if not almost the same as flashing a Vu. I would advise that you first setup the Image the box is shipped with, then make a series of backups before trying any others.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your swift reply Phoenix. I take on board what you say, backup first then.......
BTW do you know if plugin 1channel will work with this box?

Mr. Mister
04-10-12, 01:24
Yes.. The 1channel plug in will work no probs at all..

Flashing is very similar to the Vu..

Just one small difference.. When powering on your receiver with USB inserted.. The display will appear on the front of the box..

When it says.. "Conf".. Press the ok button beside the USB stick..

From there on. Is exactly like flashing a Vu+..

sonna
04-10-12, 11:52
Mine arrived yesterday. Not had much time to use it yet but can confirm 1channel works absolutely fine.

Only one downside to the kit that arrived, the instructions are all in German. Not a big deal... but I like stuff to read whilst I'm on the toilet:D

I didn't find the boot time to be an issue... certainly when compared to my old cable box.

Trial
04-10-12, 11:59
Hi sonna,
try to learn German while you are on the toilet:-)

ciao

danivtec
04-10-12, 13:14
I have a UE and my front usb port does not work when flashing the box, only the rear does.

The front does however recognise usb sticks and play media.

fs1
04-10-12, 21:49
Box arrived and very impressed, boots quicker than VU DUO atm.. Need help on a couple of things though
1. VIX image green software update button is flashing but box will not update
2. How do i mount VU DUO HDD to record via Gigablue? Had this previously working on Azbox.

regards
fs1

Larry-G
04-10-12, 21:55
Box arrived and very impressed, boots quicker than VU DUO atm.. Need help on a couple of things though
1. VIX image green software update button is flashing but box will not update
2. How do i mount VU DUO HDD to record via Gigablue? Had this previously working on Azbox.

regards
fs1

There was a problem with one of the builds where the online update would not work from the box, you can however use a telnet session with the following command

init 4 && opkg update && opkg upgrade && init 3

you can mount the Duo HDD through the network section ( cant think of the exact path off the top of my head sorry ).

Stanman
04-10-12, 21:57
for the update issue try this in telnet - ideally using software like putty or command console in windows

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?21761-All-ViX-users-please-read!&highlight=opkg+update

fs1
04-10-12, 22:11
Thanks guys done update but can't get mount to work atm

sonna
05-10-12, 19:59
Hey guys,

SE box has been received but its driving me bonkers at the moment as it keeps crashing on multiple different screens making setting the thing up a bit tricky!

I would copy and paste the logs but theres loads of them. If you would like to see, shall I place them here? Or in a different part of the forum...

fs1
05-10-12, 20:20
Hey guys,

SE box has been received but its driving me bonkers at the moment as it keeps crashing on multiple different screens making setting the thing up a bit tricky!

I would copy and paste the logs but theres loads of them. If you would like to see, shall I place them here? Or in a different part of the forum...

Sonna got my box yesterday. I would suggest you re-install VIX image on your box. I have tried 4 different images and it's the only one with no issues with crashes, remote control buttons, plugins etc.

Only issue i have atm is cannot back up image, though this one issue might change going by your experience.

People say this box is well supported, well the guide to update image is out of date (see earlier post). One out of four image file works properly. There is no guide for what file/folder to install from back up image. I know it is early days with this box but already becoming a bit disappointed.

fs1
05-10-12, 20:46
how to install a gigablue image

1. download image to either PC or FAT32 USB stick (check that latest/recent image is downloaded)

2. extract file on either

3. if extracted to PC copy to usb

4. click into original folder till you come to a folder called 'gigablue' (to be safe click on this folder to 'se' folder and check 5 files are in folder: imageversion, kernel.bin, noforce, rootfs.bin & splash.bin - if so continue).

5. copy 'gigablue' folder to root of usb

6. power off box

7. insert usb to either port on box

8. power on box. you will see usb lit in lcd on box. when that changes to 'conf' hit 'ok button by side of front usb port

9. let box load (it will take several minutes and process will go through Exxx then Pxxx

10. when finished box will reload and giga will be lit in lcd. remove usb at this point

11 you are done with image update and you can now configure box.

hope this helps

wba
05-10-12, 21:11
It would be nice if it worked like that, but in reality there are issues. I am thru a dozen usb sticks and I still cannot get my box to see the bootloader or the vix image

fs1
05-10-12, 21:17
i have tried 4 different images today that way and only one works bar from backup image. my box was pre installed with vix image so did not need to use bootloader.

sonna
05-10-12, 21:19
Thanks a lot fs1. Will give this a go tomorrow. Don't have much patience left tonight... :smash:

wba
05-10-12, 21:40
I am fast running out of USB sticks and patience, either get nothing at all or a message that there are no displayable files on this medium found. My sticks work with Spider box and even flash openmips, but not bootloader or vix

judge
05-10-12, 21:45
I am fast running out of USB sticks and patience, either get nothing at all or a message that there are no displayable files on this medium found. My sticks work with Spider box and even flash openmips, but not bootloader or vix

If you are seeing a 'there are no displayable files on this medium found' message, you have booted into the image, what are you trying to do?

wba
05-10-12, 21:50
I have Openmips 2.0 kernel V3.1.1 GUI build 2012-10-05 on my HD800UE. It wont allow me to flash openvix 3. only one usb at a time, tried front and back, I power off with power button or by cutting the mains, but the box never sees the image to flash or bootloader. Using same usb stick formatted in fat32 that I flashed Openmips with because I could not get openvix to flash.

fs1
05-10-12, 22:24
I have Openmips 2.0 kernel V3.1.1 GUI build 2012-10-05 on my HD800UE. It wont allow me to flash openvix 3. only one usb at a time, tried front and back, I power off with power button or by cutting the mains, but the box never sees the image to flash or bootloader. Using same usb stick formatted in fat32 that I flashed Openmips with because I could not get openvix to flash.

wba have you tried these to files from 1st post? Readme file is also included in bootloader zip.

www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?20194-New-ViX-Team-Gigablue-HD800SE-OE3-0-Release

fs1

wba
05-10-12, 22:57
Yes but the same files for UE, never had the conf message yet

Sicilian
06-10-12, 06:16
Yes but the same files for UE, never had the conf message yet

UE has LCD that gives its own message.

danivtec
06-10-12, 06:23
Had this issue with my UE. Front port didn't recognise image files but USB stick flashed. Moved it to rear port and worked first time.

Not tried with any other images, just Vix

wba
06-10-12, 10:24
Does not work on the back usb or the front and I dont get the yellow triangle in the display, I have just done a factory reset and still no joy. is their a telnet command that will force it to look at the usb stick and flash? How can I tell what bootloader I have in the box please?

s1m0nw
06-10-12, 11:54
The SE version displays DONE on the front mate.

Gigablue se version is easy to update mate.

Bootloader takes seconds to load - image may take anything upto ten mins

ive flashed 2 of these boxes with several images

fs1
06-10-12, 16:26
Backed up VIX image. In backup folder I have 'gigablue' folder with 2 files in and a 'bat' file outside of folder. Do use bat file and giga folder for backup or just folder?

Sicilian
06-10-12, 18:15
Backed up VIX image. In backup folder I have 'gigablue' folder with 2 files in and a 'bat' file outside of folder. Do use bat file and giga folder for backup or just folder?

With latest bootloader you do not need a burn.bat file.

s1m0nw
06-10-12, 19:43
Ok ive spoke a bit too soon

Tryin to replace openmips with vix and nothing is happening.

Have flash the updated bootloader and then vix image in both front and back usb ports this same usb pen has been used on my duo n solo to put vix image on successfully. So why is come flashing giga it hits a brick wall.

wba
06-10-12, 21:37
Same here, I must be close to 100 attempts now. Even tried the HP format tool

s1m0nw
06-10-12, 21:51
Guys am no dafty at flashing on gigablue. Cmon come up with a remedy otjer than changing usb pens.

Flashing is near enough the exact same btwn vu+ and giga se. So whats the problem?

Dave-H
06-10-12, 22:08
I find my Gigablues are really picky with USB sticks for flashing.

I've got dozens of the things lying around and all branded, not cheapo generic ones,and even using the HP tool doesn't help.

The only ones I've had success with are a 8GB Sandisk cruzer blade and a 16GB Kingston Data Traveller

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk 2

s1m0nw
06-10-12, 22:37
Got both mate altho i use kingston for all my flashing

Mr. Mister
06-10-12, 23:23
I have cheap shit USB pens.. and expensive ones also.. About 20+ at last count..

I have found 1 USB pen that has never let me down with any of the Gigablues that have passed through my hands..

No name on it.. Its a 4GB that pivits in the middle.. Something similar to the one attached..

Only difference is.. Mine is red.. and not yellow..

s1m0nw
07-10-12, 11:09
looks identical to mines altho mines is a kingston 4gb

fs1
07-10-12, 13:19
With latest bootloader you do not need a burn.bat file.

got backup on USB with gigablue folder (2 files kernel.bin & rootfs.bin) to root. Put USB in front port > powered off box > powered on box > in lcd - boot > USB > No 'conf' and box just loads installed image.

Any idea what i am doing wrong?

Stanman
07-10-12, 14:32
Don't own a GB but have used the Kingston reds like the ones in Mr Mr pic as well as Play,com branded ones and cruzer blades, all have worked fine but got a failure this week with a play.com, branded one that was the virtually the same as one that works only diff was size, one is 8GB and other 16GB.

Don't know why the difference but you just need to perserver and find one that does and also double check you are putting the files in the right folder names etc on to the USB.

fs1
07-10-12, 16:25
Any chance of anyone who has backed up an image then re installed it on gigablue se to put a 'tuturial' up.