PDA

View Full Version : Need Help, Just got my new Vu+ solo

wrenxz
04-10-12, 00:36
Hi there, just received a new solo and wondered what the next steps are. The box does not have any thing installed onto it and also im confused about the flashing process. Do i flash this blackhole image to the box or do i flash this team vti image to the box? i don't know what to do as i need it for a MGcamd but havent found any info on what to do next....

Larry-G
04-10-12, 00:54
The box should at the very least have a basic image on it, such as the OI or Original Vu image, no Vu ever ships without a image.

The first thing you may need to do if you wish to try newer images is to first flash the Latest bootloader, then a image of your choice.

wrenxz
04-10-12, 11:03
The box should at the very least have a basic image on it, such as the OI or Original Vu image, no Vu ever ships without a image.

The first thing you may need to do if you wish to try newer images is to first flash the Latest bootloader, then a image of your choice.

Which image would you go for and were do i get a bootloader from?

wrenxz
04-10-12, 13:41
Also i need help to FTP into the box. I downloaded FlashXP an trying to connect to the box to update usb driver so the box will recognize my usb pen drive as its currently not...

Larry-G
04-10-12, 15:34
well this being a ViX forum i would recommend trying the ViX image first.

bootloader here

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/index.php?dir=Bootloaders/Vu%2BSolo/

image here

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/index.php?dir=Vu%2BSolo/

wrenxz
04-10-12, 18:59
I managed to FTP to the box. Which folder do I put he boot loader into when I get into the box directory? Also after I install the boot loader where do I place the vix image, into which folder do I place it into inside the box?

I would have done all of this by USB but when I create the " Vuplus and solo " folders on the stick, nothing happens when I power Down the box and power back on. I tried reformat the stick and use different USB pens. The first USB was latest verbatim 64gb and the second was a transcend 64gb and the third was a napkins USB 16gb which also did not work, my only guess is the it's and old vu+ image as its from October 2011 and does not have drivers that supports my USB pens. The box is a original box bought from a legit seller.

s1m0nw
04-10-12, 20:14
slow down mate lol.

put bootloader onto usb pen power off box plug usb pen into box power of box wait for flashing green light, power off and remove

next

delete bootloader from usb pen and select an image u would like to use and extract the folder onto usb pen plug into box and and power on and wait for flashing green light and power off remove then power back on

have a look here

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?1148-How-to-flash-your-VU-Solo-with-USB-stick

wrenxz
04-10-12, 23:15
slow down mate lol.

put bootloader onto usb pen power off box plug usb pen into box power of box wait for flashing green light, power off and remove

next

delete bootloader from usb pen and select an image u would like to use and extract the folder onto usb pen plug into box and and power on and wait for flashing green light and power off remove then power back on

have a look here

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?1148-How-to-flash-your-VU-Solo-with-USB-stick

Lol, Thank you for your reply. As i mentioned earlier, I already put the bootloader onto the USB pen and nothing happened which is why i want to try out the FTP part as my last resort. Ive run out of ideas and used 3 different USB drives which i formatted all to " FAT32 " and created the sub folders as instructed to no avail.

Larry-G
04-10-12, 23:23
where did you buy it from and how much ?.

satmanbasil
05-10-12, 02:43
Hi mate

ok lets start from the beginning ...

you have a usb stick if you check the sticky on usb sticks your see if the one u have is compatable

ok lets say you do have one and you formatted it fats32
Did you make a folder called vuplus and inside that folder make another one called solo then inside the solo folder put the boot loader file
then using the reset button on the back hold it in while pluging the usb stick in the front port then release the reset button the green neon will change colour when it starts to read the stick then when done the neon will flash green press the reset button at rear again and remove the stick then release the reset the box will try and boot if theres an image installed however if your installing the latest vix image your now need to delete the data on the stick and doing the same process ....vuplus folder inside solo folder input in the solo folder the 3 or maybe 4 files you have for the latest vix image .....make sure the image is for the solo not the duo or any other or your brick your box
follow the same process as u did with the boot loader ..hold reset plug in stick when you get a green flashing neon hold the reset again and remove stick and allow the box to boot .... it will take a while so dont panic
if all your connections hdmi etc are ok your see on your tv screen the help install screen just follow the setup if your still not sure pop back and ask.

regards

s1m0nw
05-10-12, 09:08
Do u mean u dont get flashing green light when loading bootloader?

It does only take a few seconds

Rob van der Does
05-10-12, 09:11
It does only take a few seconds
Correct .

wrenxz
05-10-12, 15:26
Hi mate

ok lets start from the beginning ...

you have a usb stick if you check the sticky on usb sticks your see if the one u have is compatable

ok lets say you do have one and you formatted it fats32
Did you make a folder called vuplus and inside that folder make another one called solo then inside the solo folder put the boot loader file
then using the reset button on the back hold it in while pluging the usb stick in the front port then release the reset button the green neon will change colour when it starts to read the stick then when done the neon will flash green press the reset button at rear again and remove the stick then release the reset the box will try and boot if theres an image installed however if your installing the latest vix image your now need to delete the data on the stick and doing the same process ....vuplus folder inside solo folder input in the solo folder the 3 or maybe 4 files you have for the latest vix image .....make sure the image is for the solo not the duo or any other or your brick your box
follow the same process as u did with the boot loader ..hold reset plug in stick when you get a green flashing neon hold the reset again and remove stick and allow the box to boot .... it will take a while so dont panic
if all your connections hdmi etc are ok your see on your tv screen the help install screen just follow the setup if your still not sure pop back and ask.

regards

Ive already tried this and nothing at all, I do relise that I have to give the box time. I've actually done that and left the USB stick inside for 30 minutes but nothing. I've also created the sub folders like I mentioned earlier. I have noticed that once the USB stick goes into the box, it creates another folder on the stick called " USR " which I have not created or touched

Larry-G
05-10-12, 15:30

i once again refer to my earlier question.

wrenxz
05-10-12, 15:33

I bought the box from a verified seller on a well known auction site who has over 1400 feedback and also in the discription stated the box is original and has sold hundreds without any negative. The price was £170, I can pm you the link as I do not want to break any rules

s1m0nw
05-10-12, 22:29
oh forgot to mention - there is a weird thing that happening when @ at flashing image stage

Theres 2 options -

First one being - flash box wait for flashing green light

second thing - if your pen drive has a small light on it - wait until that stops flashing

When either of these have happened unplug box remove pen drive and plug back in

Noticed that happened with me first time i flashed it the green light flashed but then another time i flashed an image there was no flashing green light but the light on my usb pen had stopped flashing

hope this makes sense lol

judge
05-10-12, 22:36
oh forgot to mention - there is a weird thing that happening when @ at flashing image stage

Theres 2 options -

First one being - flash box wait for flashing green light

second thing - if your pen drive has a small light on it - wait until that stops flashing

When either of these have happened unplug box remove pen drive and plug back in

Noticed that happened with me first time i flashed it the green light flashed but then another time i flashed an image there was no flashing green light but the light on my usb pen had stopped flashing

hope this makes sense lol
On the Solo, flashing the bootloader only takes a few seconds, so you might not even notice the flashing lights changing.
Flashing the image takes a bit longer & is a lot more obvious on the box.
Once the flashing light changes on the box, it's pretty safe to remove the USB stick used for flashing & reboot.

wrenxz
06-10-12, 16:18
When I go into the about section in the menu, it says I have " experimental image " from October 2011. When I flash the bootloader, is ther any thing that shows up in the menu as there is nothing.

Alec
06-10-12, 22:28
Normally these boxes already come with a image installed. If it hasn't be suspicious. Also there are some USB sticks that the boxes don't recognise.
With the box off at the switch, and the boot loader on usb. Put the usb in the box, and switched on, if it recognises the usb it will light up the usb, that is if it as a neon, after about 5 secs, it will indicate on the box screen that it is loading, which should take only about 5 secs.

basilyoung
06-10-12, 22:33
I bought the box from a verified seller on a well known auction site who has over 1400 feedback and also in the discription stated the box is original and has sold hundreds without any negative. The price was £170, I can pm you the link as I do not want to break any rules

use the <> to post the link

the price you paid, does,nt mean the unit is genuine, we will try and help, but we need the full story

wrenxz
07-10-12, 09:03
use the <> to post the link

the price you paid, does,nt mean the unit is genuine, we will try and help, but we need the full story

Well I opened up the box and it matches all the genuine pictures from the VU+ website which is a relief, the box as well matches the correct genuine pictures found on the website.

wrenxz
07-10-12, 09:13
Normally these boxes already come with a image installed. If it hasn't be suspicious. Also there are some USB sticks that the boxes don't recognise.
With the box off at the switch, and the boot loader on usb. Put the usb in the box, and switched on, if it recognises the usb it will light up the usb, that is if it as a neon, after about 5 secs, it will indicate on the box screen that it is loading, which should take only about 5 secs.

When I put the USB in and switch on the box, the USB light flashes a little but then lights up permanently without blinking or any thing and I even leave it for 30 minutes and nothing changes. I can only assume its a problem with the box?

On another note, I am currently using a shaving adapter plug as a means of conecting the unit to a British Extension lead, the box however powers up fine. I have noticed that once the box loads up, there is always in the bottom right corner of the screen a text saying " Now loading.... .". Ive left the box on for 30 minutes at times and nothing happens still...

Rob van der Does
07-10-12, 12:13
A shaving adapter will normally have a very ;imited power output; that's likely to be not enough for an STB (that can consume up to 50W).

Stanman
07-10-12, 14:46
A shaving adapter will normally have a very ;imited power output; that's likely to be not enough for an STB (that can consume up to 50W).

I think he means a plug that converts lead plug from euro to UK - will that still have limited output?

wrenxz
07-10-12, 14:47

The funny thing is that the box powers up just fine and loads the menu's and connects to the internet perfectly when running network tests. I am going to try another few sticks and see the outcome as i think the USB's im using might be the effect as one is 16GB, the other is 32GB, another is 64GB and the last one is 128GB ( Brands of USB is " Lexar, Transend , Verbatim and a maplins brand USB ). I think i need to try a old stick with like 1GB of space...

Stanman
07-10-12, 14:48
When I put the USB in and switch on the box, the USB light flashes a little but then lights up permanently without blinking or any thing and I even leave it for 30 minutes and nothing changes. I can only assume its a problem with the box?

On another note, I am currently using a shaving adapter plug as a means of conecting the unit to a British Extension lead, the box however powers up fine. I have noticed that once the box loads up, there is always in the bottom right corner of the screen a text saying " Now loading.... .". Ive left the box on for 30 minutes at times and nothing happens still...

If you can get hold of a Kingston red 8GB ir cruzer blade, they work fine with the DUO.

Thread is 3 pages long and not read it but are you making sure the files are in the right format?

It sounds as if the USB is being recognised.

Also have a read here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?1148-How-to-flash-your-VU-Solo-with-USB-stick

Rob van der Does
07-10-12, 14:58
I think he means a plug that converts lead plug from euro to UK - will that still have limited output?
If it's only a plug there will be no real power limitation. But as he specifically named it a 'shaving plug' chances are that it does reduce power (as a real shaving plug will have a transformer in it).

Stanman
07-10-12, 15:01
Ahh ok, you learn something new every day.

wrenxz
09-10-12, 13:26
New Update:

I purchased a new adapter and bought a " Kingston DataTraveler G3 8GB USB " and the flashing went very smoothly. a Big Thank You to every one for your help. I just have a quick question, if a upgraded version of the vix image comes out, will i loose all my settings when re-flashing again the upgraded image? Thanks

dfdream
09-10-12, 13:32
If the new version is close to the verison you have you can most times do an online update. This maintains all settings. It best practice though to make a settings backup and even an image backup first. If you are flashing a new version you can restore the settings backup once the flash is completed.

Note - sometimes you will see the developers recommend not to restore settings backups due to the changes in the update. In this case you need to backup your channels lists first and restore them once you have the new image installed and install all plugins again and do all settings (network, mounts, timers etc).