PDA

View Full Version : ET9100 Repair Request

shaft
03-10-12, 18:41
I shorted out something on my ET9100 last night replacing the HDD caddy. Now all that is left alive is the initial flashing blue light (1-2 secs) when you flick the on/off switch at the back.

I have no led display and cannot see/hear any signs other signs of life.

It must have been static that caused the short as it was switched off via the on/off switch at the rear, I touched the metal casing behind the led display board with the metal of the hdd caddy - Lots of sparks and a tripped fuse box.

Does any one know of anybody who can repair these units?

I am soo P***** off with myself!!!

shaft.

basilyoung
03-10-12, 19:39
That seriously bad luck shaft,

its hard to say whats been hit, but hopefully some here will have a few ideas

Rob van der Does
03-10-12, 21:59
....It must have been static that caused the short as it was switched off via the on/off switch at the rear, I touched the metal casing behind the led display board with the metal of the hdd caddy - Lots of sparks and a tripped fuse box....
The On/Off switch of the ET's switches only one lead. So if the plug was still in the outlet, you have 50% chance that the box was still under tension.
Always pull the plug on opening devices. And switch it on to de-charge capacitors.

shaft
04-10-12, 20:12
Thanks for the replies guys,

Rob, I was always told to leave a unit plugged in, but turned off, so that it is still earthed against static. I guess that advise is about as useful as my box now in its current state!! I've just realised, the surge has also taken out the hdmi board on my amp (still under warranty though).

On the bright side, I've just ordered a 9200 and I may be able to claim on my insurance.

Very sad though, it was a great box.

Rob van der Does
04-10-12, 20:15
Well, at least I know there's one thing you're never going to do again :D

shaft
04-10-12, 20:30
Don't count on it Mr Does :)

Rob van der Does
04-10-12, 20:33
Well, at least I know there's one thing you're never going to do again :D

Don't count on it Mr Does :)
It's your box. And you wallet :p

shaft
04-10-12, 20:34
Just noticed you have a 9200 Rob. Pleased with it?

Rob van der Does
04-10-12, 20:35
Yes, nothing wrong with it.

shaft
04-10-12, 20:39
I was told it had stronger capacitors - It will need them with me :p

Rob van der Does
04-10-12, 20:50
What you need is very thick rubber gloves and plastic screwdrivers :cool:

shaft
05-10-12, 08:41
You could be on to something there Rob! :p

machare
09-10-12, 00:51
My ET9000 is not earthed by the mains plug.

If the Op is still looking for a repairer, look for sonone called Andy Fraser who posts on

He was very helpful sending me a replacement set of capacitors for my Topfield Freeview PVRs.

Sicilian
09-10-12, 06:35
Official out of warranty repair here
http://rma.et-view-support.com/xtrend_rma_home.html

Rimmel
30-04-13, 19:45
Official out of warranty repair here
http://rma.et-view-support.com/xtrend_rma_home.html

Do you happen to know what the warranty period is? I thought the EU stated that all appliances have to be 2 years now?

Larry-G
30-04-13, 19:48
Do you happen to know what the warranty period is? I thought the EU stated that all appliances have to be 2 years now?

In the UK it's 12 months, Europe i believe it's 24 Months.

Stanman
30-04-13, 19:55
My touchpad recently died and a pleasent email to Dixons lead to a voucher - more than expected;)

It was 16 months old

Larry-G
30-04-13, 20:00
My touchpad recently died and a pleasent email to Dixons lead to a voucher - more than expected;)

It was 16 months old

By law retailers in the uk only have to provide a 12 month warranty they can at their own discretion extend that if they choose to but there is no legal obligation there.

Stanman
30-04-13, 20:43
Yes and no, the goods have to last a reasonable length in relation to the price paid, so if your £3000 telly dies after 14 months you can use the sale of goods act but its your electric tooth brush probably not

twol
30-04-13, 20:46
But the EU directive says 2 years for all EU countries and regardless of the sales of goods act, the UK is still part of the EU,..... So print off the directive and stick it in front of the shop ... They initially will not believe it but if pushed may take a different view .:)

Larry-G
30-04-13, 20:55
But the EU directive says 2 years for all EU countries and regardless of the sales of goods act, the UK is still part of the EU,..... So print off the directive and stick it in front of the shop ... They initially will not believe it but if pushed may take a different view .:)

The uk have opted out of a lot of EU directives and this to my knowledge is one of those, so regardless of what the EU states it's still 12 months in the UK.

drx360
30-04-13, 22:17
pour coke on it,(coke loves pcb boards) call insurance company and heres what you say "my 3 year old knocked his drink over it" yadda yadda, trust me it works i did this on a tv and a laptop both were replaced by insurance company :)

just for the record both the tv and the laptop were already dead :D

and dont feel bad about doing this, i was told this trick by a met copper of all people.

chaser
30-04-13, 23:40
Yes feel bad about it. It's fraud! That's what makes my insurance cost more :mad:

Rimmel
10-09-13, 14:22
By law retailers in the uk only have to provide a 12 month warranty they can at their own discretion extend that if they choose to but there is no legal obligation there.

I think you are wrong as twol states.

Larry-G
10-09-13, 14:47
I think you are wrong as twol states.

No im not

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Stanman
10-09-13, 16:57
Phoenix is correct, we opted out of it as the sale of good act provides greater protection.

Google it and you will find we are right.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4