PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] All ViX users please read!

Sicilian
03-10-12, 14:37
To all ViX users, please beaware we have found a small bug in software update, updating through the GUI. Some users will find that they can no longer update. If you are stuck in this situation please update via the following telnet/terminal command:-

init 4 && opkg update && opkg upgrade && init 6

omega99
04-10-12, 09:51
I assume this is a forced update, will it d/load from the vix server & carry out update?
how will you tell if this command is running correctly

wiz569
04-10-12, 10:47
I assume this is a forced update, will it d/load from the vix server & carry out update?
how will you tell if this command is running correctly

Once you don't see any on screen errors and it returns you to the command prompt in your telnet session plus it will reboot the box or restart enigma2

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

mikehunt43
04-10-12, 11:51
sorry to sound thick how do i telenet please thank you

omega99
04-10-12, 13:10
gave up did it via usb, kept getting errors via telnet

wiz569
04-10-12, 13:18
sorry to sound thick how do i telenet please thank you

In windows 7 click start button and type cmd.exe into the search/run box,then click on the cmd.exe popup and type "telnet 192.168.x.x"-substitute your box's ip address,

then log into your box think its
user=root
password= blank unless you have set one (not usre dont have Vu )

then type the telnet command in the first post and hit the return/enter key

You can also use Putty for all your telnet needs its a great little program :)

wiz569
04-10-12, 13:19
gave up did it via usb, kept getting errors via telnet

Can you remember what the errors were?

wazza_2
04-10-12, 15:08
I seem to be getting updates on the box everyday lately. Is they a need for all these updates or is it a matter of if something's not broke !

Larry-G
04-10-12, 15:12
I seem to be getting updates on the box everyday lately. Is they a need for all these updates or is it a matter of if something's not broke !

as said before, we used to make a release once every few months and were inundated with complaints that users wanted access to the updates as and when we made them, so we now have this system. we will work through bug reports and known bugs then as soon as we have fixes for those we will push them to the image. you can of course choose to park your receiver on any particular build if thats what you wish, or you can try the updates.

Raitsa
04-10-12, 16:48
Please keep the steady updates coming for ppl like me who like to have the latest updates available & installed.

Those who dont feel the need to update can choose not to update.

frankblueking
04-10-12, 19:34
Please keep the steady updates coming for ppl like me who like to have the latest updates available & installed.

Fully support this view. If I meet a problem I re-flash using the W-of-S download to my USB. Works everytime for me.:):):):):):)

PS I am on Vers 3.0 and build 350 now. I must update my Signature!!

Rob van der Does
04-10-12, 20:02

Fully support this view. If I meet a problem I re-flash using the W-of-S download to my USB. Works everytime for me.:):):):):):)
That's the reason we decided to use this system. And of course it's not fool-proof: also when set to 'stable' important bugs can still be hidden and when set to 'unstable' all can be perfectly OK.

Grumpy
04-10-12, 23:08
Once you don't see any on screen errors and it returns you to the command prompt in your telnet session plus it will reboot the box or restart enigma2

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Tried updating using telnet. It ran a few updates, and restarted enigma. When i checked the build, it is still showing 343. Should this have changed to 350?

constant
04-10-12, 23:27
If you try to telnet the command but failing on Windows 7 its probably cause telnet is disabled by default, to enable it do the following:

Start
Control Panel
Programs And Features
Turn Windows features on or off
Check Telnet Client
Hit OK
After that you can start Telnet via Command Prompt.

omega99
05-10-12, 11:38
did the telnet update via telnet on win7 worked a treat this time, strange couldn't get it to update last night.

machare
06-10-12, 00:08
Are there terminal commands to:

a) Make a settins back as the Vix Backup Manager does.
b) Make an image backup as the Vix Image Manager does

Rahat786786
07-10-12, 11:33
I did the same command but with innit 3, will i have problems?

Larry-G
07-10-12, 11:37
I did the same command but with innit 3, will i have problems?

no you wont have any problems.

init 3 wakes enigma from a sleeping state / restarts GUI ( also reboots enigma if used during a waking state ).
init 4 puts enigma to sleep so that you can perform tasks that otherwise can not be done with the box in a waking state, such as deleting the EPG.dat files, or in this case performing a Online image update.
init 6 performs a full power down and reboot of the receiver.

machare
08-10-12, 10:54
Is there any difference between 'init 6' and 'shutdown -r now'?

Larry-G
08-10-12, 11:59
Is there any difference between 'init 6' and 'shutdown -r now'?

not really sure to be honest, but i believe that init 6 performs a safe bootdown before restarting the receiver, where as shutdown -r now basically just kills the image and reboots.

GiP
09-10-12, 10:00
not really sure to be honest, but i believe that init 6 performs a safe bootdown before restarting the receiver, where as shutdown -r now basically just kills the image and reboots.

Not sure about Vix (it can be slightly different) but on a standard linux system "reboot", "shutdown -r now" and "init 6" should all do the same thing, i.e. shutdown and restart the box, while "shutdown -h now", "halt", "poweroff" and "init 0" do a shutdown and switch off.

G

m404
11-10-12, 22:19
Not sure about Vix (it can be slightly different) but on a standard linux system "reboot", "shutdown -r now" and "init 6" should all do the same thing, i.e. shutdown and restart the box, while "shutdown -h now", "halt", "poweroff" and "init 0" do a shutdown and switch off.

might be going a bit offtopic, but shouldn't "init x" only take you to the runlevel x , rather than doing a full reboot ?
like, if this and that has to be started from runlevel 2 to runlevel 6, then those services and demons will be started, but there's no need to restart those services that were already running at runlevel 2 , whereas a reboot (shutdown -r) would actually fully reboot them all ?

could be wrong tho ... it's been many many years when i was into these things :P

Rob van der Does
12-10-12, 07:11
Anyway: 'init 6' does a reboot.

GiP
12-10-12, 10:27
might be going a bit offtopic, but shouldn't "init x" only take you to the runlevel x , rather than doing a full reboot ?
like, if this and that has to be started from runlevel 2 to runlevel 6, then those services and demons will be started, but there's no need to restart those services that were already running at runlevel 2 , whereas a reboot (shutdown -r) would actually fully reboot them all ?

could be wrong tho ... it's been many many years when i was into these things :P

Yes, "init x" takes you to runlevel x, some runlevels specify how the system runs: 1 is single user (rescue mode), 3 is multiuser text mode and 5 is multiuser graphics mode. Some levels are just the procedure to stop the system: 0 is shutdown and 6 is reboot.

On the other hand most modern linux don't use the "runlevel" concept anymore and use something called "systemd targets" and the equivalent for "init 0" and "init 6" would be "systemctl start poweroff.target" and "systemctl start reboot.target", which as you can see is simpler............

G

Richy-G
20-10-12, 17:29
not quite sure why performing this wiped out all my recordings and picons etc

Larry-G
20-10-12, 17:53

check to see if your HDD is mounted as this procedure wont and cant delete content from your HDD.

Rob van der Does
20-10-12, 17:55
What wiped out al your recordings? A flash or an update certainly does not.

Richy-G
20-10-12, 18:07
it doesn't seem to be mounted, the hdd is being picked up but disk size shows as unavailable mount: none type: unavailable.

mount it fails, unmounting and trying to setup new mount gives me black screen spinning vix. set as hdd also black screen spinning vix

mickyblueys
20-10-12, 18:11
it doesn't seem to be mounted, the hdd is being picked up but disk size shows as unavailable mount: none type: unavailable.

mount it fails, unmounting and trying to setup new mount gives me black screen spinning vix. set as hdd also black screen spinning vix

I had same problem when I updated to 373...to get round I had to flash machine back to 370. Don't know if there is another way..but that did sort it for me reinstalling vix.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Richy-G
21-10-12, 17:44
anyone got any ideas instead of going reverting back to a older version?

ukdirtyboy
01-01-13, 22:44
I run the command but get errors as some of the files hosted in the dropboxes are dead