PDA

View Full Version : Ultimo advice

terayon00
02-10-12, 15:48
I am a newbie to this game, I have had a dreambox DM800 for a few months now. I am saving my pennies and want to take the plung and get an ultimo from our sponsor. My question is which image shall I have installed? I have heard vix 3.0 is the very good and also the blackhole image too, I can't decide.

My second question is I want to install a hard drive on later myself. I have heard people having problems initalizing the hard drive and reverting to original image then to vix or blackhole.

Thirdly do you guys leave you ultimo's on all the time or is it best to switch them off at night when not in use.

Thanks in advance

Rob van der Does
02-10-12, 16:04
1- Since you're asking on the ViX-forum: choose ViX. Having said that: installing an image is so easy; once you have the box use several images and stay on the one you like best.
Bet it will be ViX?

2- No problems in that area. And if there are: we're here to help.

3- Depends on how you use the box. If not used for streaming to another box or PC('s), you can use 'deep sleep' when the box is not being used (not only at night). The difference is approx. 20W power consumption.

terayon00
02-10-12, 16:08
Thanks for the quick response. That answered all my questions.

watchskies
02-10-12, 16:09
I was a newbie myself two months ago but now feel comfortable with most aspects of the Ultimo.

Currently I use VIX 3.0 which is pretty stable and I prefer to BH though to be fair only used for a day or so.

Installing a hard drive is straight forward as the Ultimo included all required cabling, my 2TB drive was installed in under twenty minutes from first unscrewing to final tighening up. When the bosx was powered up it recognised the drive which I then formatted via the VIX menu system and away I went.

I just leave the box in standby as I record quite a lot of stuff automatically with the VIX timer functionality.

Hope this helps

Rob van der Does
02-10-12, 16:14
I just leave the box in standby as I record quite a lot of stuff automatically with the VIX timer functionality.
That's no reason at all: the box perfectly awakes itself in time for timed recordings.

terayon00
02-10-12, 16:22
Thank you "watchskies" for your input. Hopefully in the next couple of week I shall be ordering the box. I wanted the the DUO 2 but there is no release date for that yet or how much they will be. Is the Ultimo more responsive than the Dreambox DM800?

rossi2000
02-10-12, 16:45
the ultimo eats little dm800s for breakfast mate :)