PDA

View Full Version : dish not moving most of the time.

ivaninch
01-10-12, 16:45
Hi

please can someone give me an idea of what might be wrong.
I have exactly the same problem with a vu+ duo and vu+ ultimo, blackhole or ViX.

the dish not moving most of the time.
I have tried clean install on both the vu duo and vu ultimo

I have it set up and all working, it works for a couple of hours.
Then I select a channel on hotbird or any channel requiring the dish to move and the dish does not move. i see the flashing dish on the screen but no real movement of the dish.

to get it working again:
I go to settings and to move or search west and east but the dish will not move. Move to zero = nothing

ten minutes later I have managed to get the dish to move by repeatedly trying to move the dish using the move or search west selection.
I am then able to zero the dish.
The dish then works perfectly for a while, maybe a few hours but then I have to go round the whole of the above process again to get the dish to move.

I only have 3 sats entered, sky, 0.8 and hotbird.

My current set up is:

Ultimo
Tuner A positioner
Tuner B simple – single
tuner 3 not configured.

I have tried other tuner setups but still the same problem, such as:

Tuner A positioner
Tuner B second motorised.
tuner 3 not configured.

My dish is a newly fitted sly zone 2

Thanks

Larry-G
01-10-12, 17:00
did you fit it your self or pay a installer ? because if this is happening with multiple receivers and images it would signify to me that the problem may lie with the motor. also did i read rite that it's a sky mini dish that you have motorized ?.

Sicilian
01-10-12, 17:06
Reading the above I'd say it points to motor issue or coax issue.

ivaninch
01-10-12, 17:23
Thanks

Yes it is a motorised sky zone 2 but it gets all i need and more.

its very discreet and has a great arc (http://utd.me.uk/dish.jpg).

57e.
53e
52.5e
45e
42e
39e
36e
33e
28.2/5e
23.5e
19.2e
16e/15.8e
13e
10e
9e
7e
5e/4.8e
3e
0.8/1w
5w
8w
12.5w
15w
18w
22w
24.5w
27.5w
30w
34.5w
37.5w
45w

I had it supplied and fitted by a pro installer, I found him on avforums and he came with loads of great rep. he cetainly seemed to know what he was talking about.

I think I need to get him back to check things over.

Larry-G
01-10-12, 17:28
While the dish will have a good arc as any other you may find that on weaker locations it really struggles to pull signals in, ideally for a motorized dish you should be looking at a minimum of 80cm to 1 meter for the best possible results.

as for your problem, first check the F-plugs at both ends of the cable. ( receiver and LNB ), make sure they are fitted snugly and have no loose braids and that there are no shorts due to loose braids of wire. Then check the coax it self is not kinked, split or otherwise damaged and if there all in good order i'd call the installer out to do the job properly as he should have done in the first place.

ivaninch
01-10-12, 17:52
To be fair when the installer left it was working fine but with 2 x motorised on the duo.
I had to change that to one fixed and one motorised which worked fine for a week or two and then started playing up with the dish not moving.

ivaninch
04-10-12, 07:28
Thank you pheonix

After refitting both F connectors at the box end the problem has cleared.
I can't believe how much time and hair I have lost solving this. :violin:

I have noticed on 0.8 in bad weather the picture breaks up or the signal is lost. is this down to having a smaller dish?

Larry-G
04-10-12, 08:04
Thank you pheonix

After refitting both F connectors at the box end the problem has cleared.
I can't believe how much time and hair I have lost solving this. :violin:

I have noticed on 0.8 in bad weather the picture breaks up or the signal is lost. is this down to having a smaller dish?

it's always best to go back to basics when trying to diagnose faults, as more often than not, the problem tends to lie there. and yes thats because of the small dish.