PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] Box intermittent reboot issue ?

rsm42
30-09-12, 15:42
Hi,

I have a Vu+ Duo box running Vix client version 2.4 build 135. I've noticed of late that despite leaving the box in standby mode, it will on occasion power itself up and select the last known channel. Therefore the display on the box shows the channel selected e.g. BBC HD rather than the date and time in standby mode. I think this happens either after recording a program or when the EPG has updated via the radio channel ????

Not a big issue but just curious ? Any ideas why this is happening - is there an option to disable this ????

Thanks,

Rob van der Does
30-09-12, 22:06
Try enabling a swap-file (menu --> ViX --> SwapManager).
The DUO is known to have possible memory problems on EPG-import and if that happens a reboot occurs.

rsm42
05-10-12, 16:14
ok thanks for the advice

deleted
05-10-12, 17:02
Also try sending an email to VU+ and complain as hard as possible, so that they will eventually try to fix the problem. Since switching to a newer kernel they messed up their drivers and that's causing these problems.

I also experienced these issues, old kernel, no problem, new kernel everyday crashes, and my epg update habbit didn't change...

Larry-G
09-10-12, 07:08
Also try sending an email to VU+ and complain as hard as possible, so that they will eventually try to fix the problem. Since switching to a newer kernel they messed up their drivers and that's causing these problems.

I also experienced these issues, old kernel, no problem, new kernel everyday crashes, and my epg update habbit didn't change...

Your duo like one rob owns will likely be suffering from the memory leak problems. I know it Does not help for me to say this, but my own duo runs perfectly fine with the 3.1.1 kernel same as with the older 2.6.18 kernel.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

zappahey
09-10-12, 07:32
Is there any way of identifying which boxes have this issue as I'm having similar problems?

Does a swap file above it or merely delay the crashes by taking longer to use up the available memory?

Cheers,
J

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Rob van der Does
09-10-12, 08:32
Is there any way of identifying which boxes have this issue as I'm having similar problems?
Does a swap file above it or merely delay the crashes by taking longer to use up the available memory?
There's no way to identify affected boxes; they can be of all revisions. The presence of an HDD seems to provoke it.

A SWAP-file doesn't really help; it only delays the occurrence of the problem.

Be aware that this problem does not show as a 'normal'' crash (no crashreport and no reboot); this problem shows a a 'frozen' box. The box doesn't respond to anything, and the VFD shows a fixed time.
And this problem only occurs on kernel 3.1.1 images; the cure is to use old kernel images.

GiP
09-10-12, 09:52
Be aware that this problem does not show as a 'normal'' crash (no crashreport and no reboot); this problem shows a a 'frozen' box. The box doesn't respond to anything, and the VFD shows a fixed time.
That's what happened to my box this morning, but it happens a lot less frequently than to other people I read here, maybe once a week. Probably because I have a very simple setup, the only things added to a out-of-the-box OpenVix is CCcam, no plugins or add-ons, and it takes more to develop the leak.

And this problem only occurs on kernel 3.1.1 images; the cure is to use old kernel images.
Yes, but as long as a restart once a week prevents the problem I can live with it (I like the new Vix).
And now my question. I could set the box the restart every day but I have recordings at the weirdest hours and they change frequently, so If I forget to change the restart time and is set up when the box is recording what does happen? Skips it? Does it at the end of the recording ? Does it anyway ( I suppose not)?

G

Rob van der Does
09-10-12, 10:12
That's what happened to my box this morning, but it happens a lot less frequently than to other people I read here, maybe once a week. Probably because I have a very simple setup, the only things added to a out-of-the-box OpenVix is CCcam, no plugins or add-ons, and it takes more to develop the leak.
Unfortunately there's found no way to influence the seriousness of the problem; you have it, or you don't have it. And if you have it, it can happen once every 2 weeks or once every day. With once a week I would count my blessings if I were you.

Yes, but as long as a restart once a week prevents the problem I can live with it (I like the new Vix).
And now my question. I could set the box the restart every day but I have recordings at the weirdest hours and they change frequently, so If I forget to change the restart time and is set up when the box is recording what does happen? Skips it? Does it at the end of the recording ? Does it anyway ( I suppose not)?
Not sure about that (although I indeed don't think so), but you can also set some timers to shut down the box when done.

GiP
24-10-12, 09:48
Unfortunately there's found no way to influence the seriousness of the problem; you have it, or you don't have it. And if you have it, it can happen once every 2 weeks or once every day. With once a week I would count my blessings if I were you.

I was, but since the last update it happened more frequently, usually I find the box frozen in the morning, but one time it rebooted and once it had "VU DUO" on the VFD (maybe stuck during a reboot?). Was there some change in kernel or drivers that made things worse or I just jinxed my box saying that it froze only once a week.....

G

Rob van der Does
24-10-12, 11:17
Nothing has been changed in that area.
One option: enable a swap-file. That might help a bit.

GiP
27-10-12, 15:42
Nothing has been changed in that area.
One option: enable a swap-file. That might help a bit.

As you said that the HD seems to trigger the problem, is it worse if the swap file is on the HD?
Should I get a USB just for swap, and maybe EPG?

G

Rob van der Does
27-10-12, 17:09
EPG doesn't matter. First see if Swap on HDD works.

GiP
27-10-12, 19:56
EPG doesn't matter. First see if Swap on HDD works.
No, I asked because this morning I found the box stuck at 5:19

I tried to use an USB stick but it went wild, when I did a reboot it swapped the USB and HD (putting the first on /media/hdd and the second on /media/usb) an then crashed when I tried to put things back. And again after another reboot when in the Information/Devices" menu.....

So I put thing back as they were.

The strange thing is that it seems to freeze always during the night, but usually I leave it in the same state all day while I am at work and it never froze, and I have recordings day and night. Only difference was the EPG download but I suspended it as a test and it didn't make any difference.

G

GiP
22-11-12, 11:20
I have some more info:

as told in another thread my box completely stopped working and I had to replace the well-known capacitor to revive it. Now everything works again, in fact it works a lot better as I haven't had a single freeze since I got it back more than a week ago (I waited to be sure...). Anyone else had this happening?

Is it possible that the freezing is an early symptom of the capacitor failure? Or the freezing breaks the capacitor, as, oddly enough, when it freezes it gest really hot? Or both, as it stops when the capacitor is replaced?

More questions than answers....

Anyway, the bottom line is: in my case the freezing was cured by replacing a capacitor. A drastic solution, but if someone has this problem really often, this is a possible solution.

G

Rob van der Does
22-11-12, 11:22
I have seen similar reports. Maybe this happens when the capacitor is changing capacity before it finally gives up completely.

satnav
22-11-12, 11:58
Which capacitor is this exactly please?

GiP
22-11-12, 12:18
Which capacitor is this exactly please?

C807 it's on the left hand side just above the HD. It's a 220 uF 16V capacitor but they say it's better to replace it with a 330 or more. There are threads about it here, if you search for C807 you'll find everything you need.
G