PDA

View Full Version : Amiko Alien Range of Boxes

buckthehero
30-09-12, 08:10
Hi Everyone

Can you let me know if the shop will be selling these boxes and if team VIX will be supporting them with images. Highly tempted to buy one due to the price to capability factor of these boxes:

i.e. triple tuner hd receiver in the sub £200.00 bracket on some retailers web sites

but would like to know if you have road tested any before committing to selling in the shop and if so any comments or other recommendations. I know it will be vu+ as they are rock solid boxes, but their has to be a comparison for cost reasons.

all the best
buck

Larry-G
30-09-12, 08:25
I cant say if the shop will or wont be stocking them although i highly doubt the sponsor will to be honest.

What i can say though is that ViX will never support these receivers in their current format, primarily due to the CPU they use. The reason for this is that Enigma2 is pretty much written exclusively for the broadcom range of CPU's, so trying to get Enigma2 to run on any thing else requires some pretty dirty hacks to port it over, and thats something we wont do.

Larry-G
30-09-12, 08:29
If the Vu range is too expensive for you to consider try looking towards the Gigablue range of receivers, as they offer excellent value for money in my opinion and are fully supported by ViX and the OE-Alliance.

world-of-satellite.co.uk
30-09-12, 08:32
No we will not be selling these receivers. The ViX Team only support Broadcom MIPS based receivers, non Broadcom receivers run hacked Enigma 2 and do not support all standard Enigma 2 features and plugins.

buckthehero
30-09-12, 10:37
Thank you for your replies, the Gigablue range of receivers certainly seem good money until you read the small print and it only has one sat tuner, I am looking for at least a twin if not triple sat tuner receiver, the only other options I can see in the shop are the xtrend or technomate which are both around the £300.00 mark, the same as the VU+ range. Whilst I have no objections to spending money infact it is one of my favourite pastimes as my wife will verify, the set up i am looking to do with any of the above receivers is pushing it more to the £500 region, add on top subscriptions and I could be looking at a first year spend of £1000. For this amount I could go down the IPTV route tho it is only just starting to take hold in the UK, the rest of the world and in the far east in particular has really taken off.

Any comments or suggestions are most welcome as per the original post, research is key and obviously if team VIX or World of Satellite has or knows of any receivers about to emerge on the market that has the CPU required but is more in the price bracket I require, I would be more than happy to take one and evaluate it.

thanks
Buck

Larry-G
30-09-12, 10:46
The Vu+ uno may be your best bet, It has a single swappable tuner but Vu are soon to release a twin version of the tuner turning it into a twin tuner receiver.

pooface
30-09-12, 11:21
Also, gigablue are set to release a quad tuner box soon (albeit no dvb-s2 on release for the 3rd and 4th tuner from what I remember).

Dunno about pricing, but think that's going to be set soon... So night be with a look soon?!

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

Sicilian
30-09-12, 11:28
Nothing wrong with the TM-Twin guys :) ViX soon :)

Larry-G
30-09-12, 11:33
LMAO i forgot about that one.

mickyblueys
06-11-12, 18:48
No we will not be selling these receivers. The ViX Team only support Broadcom MIPS based receivers, non Broadcom receivers run hacked Enigma 2 and do not support all standard Enigma 2 features and plugins.

just been reading through this old thread as i am in the market for a 2nd stb for my bedroom (must be a twin tuner). found it strange that the sponsor posted CATEGORICALLY that it wouldn't be stocking these boxes...........

but now it seems they are being pushed on the site with all bells and whistles being rang and blown!!

.........wonder what changed their minds.................$$$$$$$$;);)

Larry-G
06-11-12, 18:51
just been reading through this old thread as i am in the market for a 2nd stb for my bedroom (must be a twin tuner). found it strange that the sponsor posted CATEGORICALLY that it wouldn't be stocking these boxes...........

but now it seems they are being pushed on the site with all bells and whistles being rang and blown!!

That post was made months ago and at that time these boxes were complete crap on the enigma2 side ( still are if im honest ), but the spark OS has changed drastically for the better, I still firmly believe however that Enigma2 will never rival that of a dedicated broadcom based receiver but the inbuilt spark OS is coming along leaps and bounds.

added a little more detail to my above reply.

mickyblueys
06-11-12, 19:01
that post was only made just over 5 weeks ago not months........

but anyways does anybody actually own one of these boxes??

if so are they any good??

i would appreciate any feedback positive or negative........ i want a 2nd box , I own a Duo so far but am open to getting a cheaper one for the bedroom. have looked at the gigablue 800se/ue...
but need twin dvb s/s2
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Larry-G
06-11-12, 19:08
that post was only made just over 5 weeks ago not months........

but anyways does anybody actually own one of these boxes??

if so are they any good??

i would appreciate any feedback positive or negative........ i want a 2nd box , I own a Duo so far but am open to getting a cheaper one for the bedroom. have looked at the gigablue 800se/ue...
but need twin dvb s/s2
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

yes and a great deal can change in 5 weeks in this hobby. The Alien range is fine for basic TV viewing and i would liken it to a Ferguson Arriva but if you want a Enigma2 based box i would not buy a alien as it will seriously disappoint you.

world-of-satellite.co.uk
06-11-12, 19:22

That post was actually made before we'd had more time to actually fully test the Spark operating system we went straight in the Enigma 2 side and found the Amiko will never match a broadcom based receiver for Enigma 2, but the Spark OS is actually superb. The online features it has such as browser, Youtube, HBBTV etc + more.. is proberbly the best we've tested, some of these features actually runs better on these most other receivers. In our opinion the main thing the Amiko is lacking is a decent 7 day EPG for the UK.