PDA

View Full Version : Using Network drive as HDD

tzampa
29-09-12, 12:08
Hi All,

I still havent managed to get my HDD to work so I am trying to use my WD My Book external HDD on my network as my hard drive for the box. Is this possible? I have managed to mount the drive and created a /hdd/movie and /timeshift directory on the drive. However when i go to setup/system/timeshift or setup/system/recording settings it is still assumming that this should be pointed at the hard drive in the box that isnt working.
How do I get the settings to point to the network drive? I have had a read of a lot of the stickies but havent managed to find more than mount help but nothing for this next step.

Thanks

dfdream
29-09-12, 12:19
If you go into settings and recording settings...
On the default movie location pres OK to go into the selection menu. Or you can set the Timer Location and the Timeshft location seperately...
/hdd/movie should be selected.
Press Channel + button to move selection to <Parent Directory> selection.
Press <Parent Directory> then <List of storage devices>
See if your network mount is there if yes select and choose movie folder you created.
Then press blue button to add to bookmarks.
Press Channel - button to move selection to <bookmark> selection.
Highlight the newly added bookmark and hit OK.
This should change your default location to network share.
You can also use the use as HDD replacement in the mount in mount manager but I found the way above work best especially if you have a hdd in the box as well.

tzampa
29-09-12, 13:30
Tried that but under listed devices I only get internal flash.

This despite my mount showing with a tick on it as working.

Tried Nfs and cifs set up and it made no diff.

TomD
30-09-12, 20:30
If you've mounted you network hard drive and pointed the VU to it should work okay. That being said, I had a network hdd and could never get it operate correctly (bought an internal in the end). Have you tried reflashing the image and trying again?