PDA

View Full Version : Gigablue HD800SE - wife friendly?

namzuf9
28-09-12, 18:52
Hi guys!
I've been looking to kick Sky UK into touch and switch to FTA. My Sky plus box is on its way out (dying PSU) so I've been looking at the range of HD *nix based receivers on the market. The Gigablue ticks all the boxes for my needs but I don't know about ease of use till I actually try it!
I've been running *nix as my main desktop for 7 or so years now and have a fair bit of CLI experience so thats not a problem. However my wife is a bit of a luddite so I need to know how easy the Gigablue (probably running ViX) is for everyday use. Could any users give me a bit of advice here, hows the remote, GUI, EPG etc?

Cheers

Larry-G
28-09-12, 19:18
The ViX image is frequently quoted as being the most Wife friendly image out there, and i'm not just saying that.

Stanman
28-09-12, 19:30
Its not so much the box that is user friendly when it comes to proper E2 boxes, its the image. Clearly we have a vested interest but I don't think you will not be disappointed with the VIX, imho its so user friendly that my 4 year is able to use it to watch TV

Adrock
28-09-12, 23:31
This was something very important to me when I was choosing a box. Haven't got a Gigablue yet but I'm definitely looking into it, or another well supported box.

Maybe another question you can answer, but how do you know if you're watching DVB-T or DVB-S? And am I right in thinking DVB-T2 would be required for freeview HD? I understand the Gigablue has S2 support so its not a problem, just a question really.

Mr. Mister
29-09-12, 02:30
The biggest issue any wife will have is getting used to the new remote..

If like me.. Your wife is used to the Vu+ range of remotes.. then yes.. it will take a bit of getting used to.. But perfect.. When wife does get used to it..

But.. its a fantastic receiver.. I would highly recommend that you spend the extra few quid and get a 800 UE.. just for the front display alone..

I love my 800UE.. IMO.. Better than the Solo..

Also.. check out the sponsor prices.. ... Here for the Gigiblue 800SE (http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receivers/GiGaBlue-HD-800-SE-HD800SE-Digital-Satellite-Receiver-Linux-Enigma-2-1x-DVB-S-S2)... Or Here for the Gigiblue 800 UE (http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receivers/GiGaBlue-HD-800-UE-HD800UE-Digital-Satellite-Receiver-Linux-Enigma-2-1x-DVB-S-S2)

Basically.. you will not go wrong with the gigiblue range..

Sicilian
29-09-12, 13:50
If my wife can operate a Gigablue, any wife can :roflmao:

Larry-G
29-09-12, 13:55

KERSPLUNK.

for those who were wondering WTF just happened, that was the sound of sic's wife battering the back of his head in with a bloody big frying pan.

Stanman
29-09-12, 13:56
KERSPLUNK.

for those who were wondering WTF just happened, that was the sound of sic's wife battering the back of his head in with a bloody big frying pan.

Explains why he suddenly went quite on Skype right after that post:D

namzuf9
29-09-12, 18:38

Lol gotta love 'em aint ya! My missus has just got the hang of Facebook and that was like Voodoo magic to her!
Thanks for the replies guys; you've given me someone to blame if it all goes wrong! :eek:

Seriously though I'm looking forward to getting a new toy to play with. I'll probably be on here more often when I break it but that's how you learn eh?

wordup3
29-09-12, 21:11
My mrs, my sister and my seven year old love the vix image. Along with catseye channel list its a lot better for everyday channel browsing once you get the epg setup. The gigablue is a great price too

sonna
08-10-12, 10:37
My missus can operate the box fine once I showed her how to use it.

marty
04-12-12, 09:17
My wife can change chanels and basic stuff, my middle kid (I have 5) who is 12 can drive it OK but my two eldest sons (17 and 20) are scared of it :p wel TBH scared of me moaning at them for deleting WWE from the timers :sofahide:

Stanman
04-12-12, 21:01
I can beat that, my 5 year can use the box and its hardwired to kids:D