PDA

View Full Version : Why are Linux boxes dearer...

dfdream
25-09-12, 07:14
Question...

Why are boxes like the Ferguson Ariva 202E only £79 when a linux box with similar specs nearly £200.
Especially when most of the linux software is open source...

Is there more expensive hardware in the E2 boxes or whats the story.....

D

Sicilian
25-09-12, 07:24
Opensource Linux boxes are more expensive to due to the Broadcom CPU and more ram. If you look at cheaper receivers that claim to run Enigma 2 that are non-broadcom and have alternative cpu's, these will be comparable in price to non linux receivers, but will never run Enigma 2 like a broadcom based receiver does.

Sicilian
25-09-12, 07:25
Moved to a more suitable section.

eblaster101
25-09-12, 08:14
its expensive because you are essentially buying a cheap computer.

snakie
28-09-12, 23:13
Linux boxes(most of them)more versatile compare with non linux.

Mr. Mister
29-09-12, 02:43
Open sourse : ie.. Vix image.. ( Plus quite a few others ).. You have dozens of plugins available at your disposal..

Closed sourse.. : ie.. What you got with the firmware.. is what you see.. It can not be added to.. or taken away..

What your Ferguson Ariva 202E comes with.. is exactly what you get.. Nothing more.. Nothing Less..

dfdream
29-09-12, 08:52
I agree with you...
Im not on about the flexability or open / closed.
Im on about the price of the hardware.
Just seems odd that two boxes with similar functionality (Ferguson Ariva 102E HD and Say VU Solo) one costs 3 times more than other....
Its hardly just the CPU and the extra ram that justifies 3 times the price....

Open sourse : ie.. Vix image.. ( Plus quite a few others ).. You have dozens of plugins available at your disposal..

Closed sourse.. : ie.. What you got with the firmware.. is what you see.. It can not be added to.. or taken away..

What your Ferguson Ariva 202E comes with.. is exactly what you get.. Nothing more.. Nothing Less..

Larry-G
29-09-12, 08:56
as already pointed out above a major factor is the broadcom CPU as used in the Linux STB's to allow it to run enigma2 properly, without a broadcom CPU E2 would not run natively on the receiver as E2 is built pretty much exclusively for these CPU's.

Rob van der Does
29-09-12, 09:05
Im not on about the flexability or open / closed.
Im on about the price of the hardware.
I'm pretty sure you're after a box that does what it's supposed to do.
Using a closed source box you're in the hands of the manufacturer to add functionality and to fix bugs. Many manufacturers just don't do a good job in that area, especially when the box is older than say a year. Compare that with open source boxes: many communities of professional hobbyists work 24/7 worldwide to be of assistance.
Of course: there are also manufacturers who do their work fine. Better make sure before buying.

mikehunt43
29-09-12, 09:50
yes i agree and its worth the money in the long run i brought a et5000 over a year ago and its bloody brill as been said so many things it can do and not just tv purpose.if your after a basic box then get the one you said and will do the job but when other options come out and that box cant do it cause its not got true e2 your be pissed off if you really wanted that plugin etc

dfdream
29-09-12, 12:07
I agree100% with you Rob but what you are saying is that manufacturers can charge extra for the e2 boxes so users can improve and fix them them selves...

I'm pretty sure you're after a box that does what it's supposed to do.
Using a closed source box you're in the hands of the manufacturer to add functionality and to fix bugs. Many manufacturers just don't do a good job in that area, especially when the box is older than say a year. Compare that with open source boxes: many communities of professional hobbyists work 24/7 worldwide to be of assistance.
Of course: there are also manufacturers who do their work fine. Better make sure before buying.

Rob van der Does
29-09-12, 12:10
It is true that manufacturers of Enigma-compliant boxes have hardly anything to do in the area of firmware development. 'We' (i.e. the many hobbyist teams) do that for them for free. The only thing they have to take care of is the driver-development.

Larry-G
29-09-12, 12:15
I agree100% with you Rob but what you are saying is that manufacturers can charge extra for the e2 boxes so users can improve and fix them them selves...

It costs more to buy and use the broadcom processors that the others, this cost then must be passed onto the end user. It's not really about open source verses closed source but differences in hardware. none of the closed source boxes use these broadcom processors to my knowledge.

Rob van der Does
29-09-12, 12:19
Nevertheless they safe enormously on firmware development. Probably the highest cost-factor in box development.

Larry-G
29-09-12, 12:25
Nevertheless they safe enormously on firmware development. Probably the highest cost-factor in box development.

agreed yes, by spending that bit more on the broadcom processor i would imagine that the STB manufacturers gain a wealth more knowledge and support in the Driver support area, ultimately benefiting us the end users.

Rob van der Does
29-09-12, 12:50
Sorry, my 'safe' should have been 'save'.............

Rob van der Does
30-09-12, 06:10
And also: boxes running Enigma2 don't need a CAM (which many closed boxes do), can record a virtually unlimited number of channels and all recordings are descrambled.

twol
30-09-12, 11:28
Although I agree with all the positive points made for a "open linux" box vs "closed", when you consider that the Broadcom chip price in the VU+ is probably about $20 (at most) and probably comprises the major cost item, then box pricing is more down to marketing and product positioning e.g. VU+ competes against the dreambox ......... and what people (including me :) ) are prepared to pay in that market.