PDA

View Full Version : New receiver, but which?

cruisinbeatz
24-09-12, 23:18
Hi all, im looking to see if anyone here can help me. Im looking for something similar to the vu solo but perhaps a bit cheaper? it need to work with vix and tspanel so anything that supports vix 2.4 i guess so thats the gigablue out i think. Anyone else got any ideas?

Larry-G
24-09-12, 23:30
I really would not place compatibility with the TSpanel as a factor into buying a receiver, all of the plugins it contains can easily be found within a few minutes of looking. as for ViX 2.4, one day like all the previous builds we will kill the feeds for that image making it redundant so basing a search for a new receiver on a old image is not a good idea if you ask me.

Sicilian
24-09-12, 23:34
I agree with what Pheonix says and yes got for a Gigablue, SE and UE both great :) http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receivers

cruisinbeatz
24-09-12, 23:35
Oh I see, shows you what I know, well I can get the plugins I need however the channel list are the ones that get me. Say for example sgtflipflops, can oyu upload them straight to the box? and if so what box would you recommend? it must be compatible with vix at least. Thanks in advance.

Larry-G
24-09-12, 23:40
Oh I see, shows you what I know, well I can get the plugins I need however the channel list are the ones that get me. Say for example sgtflipflops, can oyu upload them straight to the box? and if so what box would you recommend? it must be compatible with vix at least. Thanks in advance.

yes, there are programs which have this very purpose in life and thats to transfer bouquet lists ( channel lists ) to and from your receiver. programs such as dreambox edit. enigmedit, dreamset. just to name a few. These are free pieces of software and very easy to use. if you need help once you get the receiver to set it up just ask and we will help you ( within the rules of course ).

The you also have the feeds them selves which contain most of the usefull plugins and bouquet packs / picons etc.

judge
24-09-12, 23:41
DreamBoxEdit, available in the downloads section is a fantastic tool for editing channel lists.
As both pheonix & Sicilian suggest a GigaBlue is a good option, much better than going down the cheap clone route.

Sicilian
24-09-12, 23:42

Theres a vast choice of upto date channel lists within ViX plugin feeds ;)

cruisinbeatz
24-09-12, 23:44
Thanks guys for the help, how does the gigablue compare to the vu solo?

Larry-G
24-09-12, 23:45

I only have Vu machines my self but the ViX image is identical on every receiver we support barring where small hardware differences come into play. so if you want a receiver that will run the ViX image while watching the pennies i would recommend the Gigablue range.

Sicilian
24-09-12, 23:48
Thanks guys for the help, how does the gigablue compare to the vu solo?

Both have the same speed CPU and RAM and run identical features, imo I'd say the Gigablue is slightly more higher spec'd and cheaper :)

judge
25-09-12, 00:10
Also depends on where you are based.
GigaBlue do an internal terrestrial tuner, essential if based in Ireland?

cruisinbeatz
26-09-12, 15:00
yea im in ireland, why is it essential may i ask?

Sicilian
26-09-12, 15:04

Its not essential, but you can use it as a combo, to view Saorview.

dfdream
26-09-12, 15:49
Sic, I have a solo and looking at getting another box at some stage... Other than the remote would the gigablue be identical to use as the solo. Dont get me wrong I really like the solo but would like the capactiy to add another tuner later. The priority is that the look and feel of the devices is the same....

judge
26-09-12, 15:52

well, essential was a strong word, but as Sicilian says above, it can work with Saorview, so if you want a cheap Enigma 2 box, it's a great option for Irish users.

Sicilian
26-09-12, 15:56
Sic, I have a solo and looking at getting another box at some stage... Other than the remote would the gigablue be identical to use as the solo. Dont get me wrong I really like the solo but would like the capactiy to add another tuner later. The priority is that the look and feel of the devices is the same....

ViX image is the same as the Solo, speedwise, I'd say the Giga is possibly quicker and PQ is superb. Keep in mind though, that adding the DVB-C/T tuner makes it a combo, not twin tuner.

Mr. Mister
26-09-12, 17:53
I also got the Gigiblue 800 SE.. and the 800 UE..

The SE is the cheaper option of the 2.. as it only has like a digital display on the frnt of the box to tell you what channel you are on.. ie.. 101 = BBC1

The UE in my opinion is fantatic.. ( I would rather have the 800 UE than the Solo ) Basically the same as the SE.. but you got a nice little display on the front of the box which shows : Channel Name.. Program Name and also the picon of the channel your watching..

IMO.. The UE is well worth the extra few quid ..

skittle7
07-10-12, 22:12
Just the thread I was looking for!

I too was going to purchase a Solo and after finding this forum and the support, tutorials etc, I'm going with the Gigablue.

Excellent, thank you

basilyoung
07-10-12, 22:21
Just the thread I was looking for!

I too was going to purchase a Solo and after finding this forum and the support, tutorials etc, I'm going with the Gigablue.

Excellent, thank you

Well your first move was spot on, RESEARCH!! so at least you wont be buying a unit, thats not right for you, but please check out our sponcer for a deal, there repro is second to none

and lastly, welcome to the forum

skittle7
07-10-12, 22:29
ahah I've been researching for hours and this forum is by far the best I've found for support with diverse linux boxes :)

and yeah, I intend to get the forum discount soon enough :)

and thank you!