PDA

View Full Version : Transfer recordings to new hdd

garryboy
24-09-12, 10:05
I've currently got a 7200rpm hd in my duo which is a bit on the noisy side.

I've now got a hold of a 5200rpm SATA disk

How easy is it to transfer my recording to the new hd.

I was planning on initialising the new hd in the duo. Then remove it and put the 2 Sata disks into my desktop running Ubuntu and transferring the recording files from media/hdd to the same folder on the new disk.

Will this work?

pooface
24-09-12, 10:12
Yes, that will work.

An even easier option, if you have one, is to get your new HDD in to the box, initialise it, then put the old HDD in to an external USB or e-sata enclosure, telnet in to the box, and then move them all over with a command similar to:

mv /media/hdd2/move /media/hdd &

This is assuming your external HDD with the recordings on is mounted as hdd2...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

garryboy
24-09-12, 10:17
Yes, that will work.

An even easier option, if you have one, is to get your new HDD in to the box, initialise it, then put the old HDD in to an external USB or e-sata enclosure, telnet in to the box, and then move them all over with a command similar to:

mv /media/hdd2/move /media/hdd &

This is assuming your external HDD with the recordings on is mounted as hdd2...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks pooface. I've not got an esata setup so il need to use my desktop method.

Thanks for the swift reply.

Mr. Mister
24-09-12, 10:22
This may take some time.. but you can do it like this..

FTP all recordings to your desktop..

Remove old HDD from box..

Install new HDD in box..

FTP recordings back to New HDD in your box..

Job done..

garryboy
24-09-12, 10:27
This may take some time.. but you can do it like this..

FTP all recordings to your desktop..

Remove old HDD from box..

Install new HDD in box..

FTP recordings back to New HDD in your box..

Job done..

Yeh I had considered the FTP method but I think it will take ages. Roughly 80gb of recordings to be transferred over a wirless g network.

I think il be quicker sticking them in he desktop.

Thanks for the suggestion though

dfdream
24-09-12, 12:20
You dont need to telnet to the box to move the files.
I put new 2tb drive in Duo and connected the old 1tb disk using old sata housing.
I used the recordings list and moved the files from the menu to the new drive (500gb in no length).. If move isnt one of your coloured buttons press menu to see all options. (You can also copy files here).
Make sure that both drives are mounted in the mount manager first.

dfdream
24-09-12, 12:21
Make sure that the drive formats are EXT3/4 to work best in DUO....

Yeh I had considered the FTP method but I think it will take ages. Roughly 80gb of recordings to be transferred over a wirless g network.

I think il be quicker sticking them in he desktop.

Thanks for the suggestion though

pooface
24-09-12, 12:42
You dont need to telnet to the box to move the files.
I put new 2tb drive in Duo and connected the old 1tb disk using old sata housing.
I used the recordings list and moved the files from the menu to the new drive (500gb in no length).. If move isnt one of your coloured buttons press menu to see all options. (You can also copy files here).
Make sure that both drives are mounted in the mount manager first.

Yes, you could do it that way, but if e2 were to crash during the move process, you might loose the files...

Also, I prefer to do a cp -a command, to copy the files over, just so that you can compare and ensure that they are the same size, plus if anything did go wrong, you have a backup ;)

garryboy
24-09-12, 13:39
I went the desktop route in the end.

Only problem was I couldn't write to then new drive in Ubuntu. A quick google showed me how to change permissions on the drive.

And it's now up and running on the duo

Cheers
For all your help