PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ Uno not finding any channels

Ste2011
21-09-12, 22:44
The most basic setup

Non motorised dish

Just want to point at the Sky satellite and get the box to find some channels.

Ste2011
21-09-12, 22:45
Have an existing sky dish that is pointed correctly

Larry-G
21-09-12, 22:46
what exact image are you using ?.

Ste2011
21-09-12, 22:48
BlackHole 1.7.7

basilyoung
21-09-12, 22:59
have you set up the tuner?

menu/setup/tuner config

if it says not configed, hi lite it, and select simple
then drop down to sats..and change it to 28 east
press ok, and exit to a normal screen
then press ( i think ) green button, then addons ( yellow button ) addons manager/enigma2 settings
within this option will be a list of channel settings...select a 28 east setting or a motorized setting...and follow instructions

YOUR UNIT DOES NEED TO BE INTERNET CONNECTED

Larry-G
21-09-12, 22:59
i'm not overly familiar with the BH images, all i can really suggest at this point is to make sure you have the very latest FPGA loaded on the receiver.

Ste2011
21-09-12, 23:03
In that case I've gone to plugins and chosen FPGA Upgrade, pressed green for upgrade and been asked do I want to upgrade, when I choose ok I'm presented with a set of folders with the top one being <List of Storage Devices>

I don't know which folder to choose.

Ste2011
21-09-12, 23:05
It seems to be updating now

Ste2011
21-09-12, 23:08
Thanks, just running a FPGA Upgrade and will try your suggestion once that has completed.

Ste2011
21-09-12, 23:15
have you set up the tuner?

menu/setup/tuner config

if it says not configed, hi lite it, and select simple
then drop down to sats..and change it to 28 east
press ok, and exit to a normal screen
then press ( i think ) green button, then addons ( yellow button ) addons manager/enigma2 settings
within this option will be a list of channel settings...select a 28 east setting or a motorized setting...and follow instructions

YOUR UNIT DOES NEED TO BE INTERNET CONNECTED

Thanks, internet connection is working fine.

There is an option under settings that has a list beginning with Catseye motor (Black Hole E2), would that one do me?

Ste2011
21-09-12, 23:17
Thanks, internet connection is working fine.

There is an option under settings that has a list beginning with Catseye motor (Black Hole E2), would that one do me?

That didn't have 28.2 E so I chose one that did, just rebooting now.

basilyoung
21-09-12, 23:17
yes as the uk listings are top of the list

basilyoung
21-09-12, 23:19
once done...restart the unit

once fully started, press your down button..then blue button...select a free to air channel ( bbc or what ever ) press ok. and you should be sorted

Ste2011
21-09-12, 23:20
yes as the uk listings are top of the list

Yes to Catseyes?
If so what do I do after it has installed and I've rebooted the box?

Thanks for your help.

basilyoung
21-09-12, 23:30
read my last post...press the down button on your remote, then blue button for bouquets...all should be obvious from there

Ste2011
21-09-12, 23:32
once done...restart the unit

once fully started, press your down button..then blue button...select a free to air channel ( bbc or what ever ) press ok. and you should be sorted

Done that but still don't get a picture, nothing much happens.
Have I missed a step?

Ste2011
21-09-12, 23:34
Done that but still don't get a picture, nothing much happens.
Have I missed a step?

I have BBC News showing on the front of the box but just the BlackHole screen on the TV

basilyoung
21-09-12, 23:38
you do have the coax cable connected dont you??

to test..go menu/setup/service searching///select sat finder...it should be set to 28 east...see if you have a signal

Ste2011
21-09-12, 23:41
you do have the coax cable connected dont you??

to test..go menu/setup/service searching///select sat finder...it should be set to 28 east...see if you have a signal

Coax cable?
What plugs into the receiver?
I have the satellite cable plugged in but not the normal roof aerial.

basilyoung
21-09-12, 23:46
the cable from the dish...please do as i have asked...see if you have a signal....

Ste2011
21-09-12, 23:50
the cable from the dish...please do as i have asked...see if you have a signal....

Not getting any signal.

28 East is showing as the satellite.

basilyoung
21-09-12, 23:55
well there is a problem then with either the unit, but more likely with the dish or lnb, or the coax cable...check that there is no shorting from the outer core to the centre core of the cable

also not sure if loop throu is available on the unit...but if the are 2 possible connections, make sure you are connected to the correct connection ( in )

Ste2011
21-09-12, 23:56
well there is a problem then with either the unit, but more likely with the dish or lnb, or the coax cable...check that there is no shorting from the outer core to the centre core of the cable

also not sure if loop throu is available on the unit...but if the are 2 possible connections, make sure you are connected to the correct connection ( in )

Thanks, I'm connected to the topmost which according to the instruction book is correct.

basilyoung
22-09-12, 00:04
well you need to test the dish cables on another unit..if you get signal/piccy, then there is some thing wrong with the unit

Ste2011
22-09-12, 00:05
well you need to test the dish cables on another unit..if you get signal/piccy, then there is some thing wrong with the unit

Thanks for all your help.

basilyoung
22-09-12, 00:06
one other thing to try is

go menu/setup/service search..select single sat..not transponder,...and do a full scan..and see if the unit pickes up any listings

judge
22-09-12, 00:16
Aren't Catseyes multi sat? not sure as I don't use them.
Best to use Mr.Mister or STGFlipFlop if you only need SKY UK settings.

Ste2011
22-09-12, 00:17
one other thing to try is

go menu/setup/service search..select single sat..not transponder,...and do a full scan..and see if the unit pickes up any listings

Think I followed that and the box is doing an automatic scan now.

basilyoung
22-09-12, 00:18
yes...but uk is top of list with catseye...he is using black hole.and of very limited knowledge with the unit..so for now..it would be a big step to ftp over listings

basilyoung
22-09-12, 00:21
whilst its scanning...you should see various channels being listed..ie ch 4 and so on...is this happening?

Ste2011
22-09-12, 00:22
whilst its scanning...you should see various channels being listed..ie ch 4 and so on...is this happening?

53% done, 0 Services found

basilyoung
22-09-12, 00:26
ok....in which case...there is a problem as i stated earlier..borrow a unit from some where...sky box or what ever...see if that works

where did you get the unit from, and when...and how much was it??

Ste2011
22-09-12, 00:29
ok....in which case...there is a problem as i stated earlier..borrow a unit from some where...sky box or what ever...see if that works

where did you get the unit from, and when...and how much was it??

I got it from world of satellite 9 days ago, £249.

basilyoung
22-09-12, 00:32
in that case...the unit is defo ok, as WOSats always test the units

your problem area then is very likely the coax cable, coax cable connections, dish alignment, or lnb ( the thing on the end of the dish arm )

Ste2011
22-09-12, 00:34
in that case...the unit is defo ok, as WOSats always test the units

your problem area then is very likely the coax cable, coax cable connections, dish alignment, or lnb ( the thing on the end of the dish arm )

I have an old sky box in the cupboard.
Plugging that in should give me an idea of whether it's the box or not.

basilyoung
22-09-12, 00:35
yes...try it if you are not fed up

Ste2011
22-09-12, 00:38
yes...try it if you are not fed up

Will try it in the morning.
Is it me or are these boxes complicated?
Perhaps I'd have it set up now if I could get a signal!!

basilyoung
22-09-12, 00:43
these units are a steep learning curve...but can do wonderous things once you have it sussed

Ste2011
22-09-12, 13:58
these units are a steep learning curve...but can do wonderous things once you have it sussed

So good and bad news ...

I have the box getting channels now (after moving the dish slightly) but when I select a HD channel the box crashes.

Larry-G
22-09-12, 14:05
So good and bad news ...

I have the box getting channels now (after moving the dish slightly) but when I select a HD channel the box crashes.

Is this dish fixed / static ? By this i mean for example a old sky uk mini dish ? or a motorized one ?. by the sounds of it your dish may be misaligned, also how old is the dish and coax etc as you could have water ingress into either the coax or lnb which would also affect signal.

Ste2011
22-09-12, 14:06
Is this dish fixed / static ? By this i mean for example a old sky uk mini dish ? or a motorized one ?. by the sounds of it your dish is misaligned.

It is a fixed dish.
Worth checking what signal I'm getting?
I take it the HD channels need a better signal?

Ste2011
22-09-12, 14:08
It is a fixed dish.

SNR is showing at around 34% which I'm guessing isn't good at all?

Larry-G
22-09-12, 14:08
It is a fixed dish.

yes it's worth checking as you may be misaligned by a small degree.

Try BBC news and check the signal levels for that channel, if possible post them here. be mindful however that any signal readout from the receiver it self is only just a guide but it would help in aligning the dish.

Larry-G
22-09-12, 14:09
SNR is showing at around 34% which I'm guessing isn't good at all?

no thats not good at all. what channel was this on ?.

Ste2011
22-09-12, 14:13
no thats not good at all. what channel was this on ?.

That was ITV 1, BBC 2 showing at 54%

Larry-G
22-09-12, 14:26
That was ITV 1, BBC 2 showing at 54%

Thats still a very low reading and ideally you should be looking for something in the high 80's or 90's. first thing i would do is to check all fixtures and fittings.

F-plugs ( the metal part on the end of the coax that screws onto the receivers tuner input ). Make sure these are tight and there are no loose braids touching the F-plug causing a short. also check the F-plug on the other end of the coax ( the one that screws into the LNB on the end of the dish. ).

Check the coax making sure it is in over all good condition with no rips or tears along it's length. if possible remove the F-plugs and check that the copper core of the Coax is not corroded ( green ), if there is corrosion near the F-plug's remove a few inches of coax and re-attach the F-plugs. if you find any tears or rips in the Coax replace all of it.

check the LNB ( the white or black thing at the end of the arm on the dish where your coax attaches ) i'm not meaning to sound condescending but simple terms for us such as LNB could confuse a otherwise novice user. check to see there are no cracks, splits or holes where water or creepy crawlies could be hiding. if you find any of the above replace the whole LNB.

and last but not least if all of the above are up to par, check the physical alignment of the dish it self, making sure that once it's aligned all the necessary screws or bolts are not loose etc.

Ste2011
22-09-12, 14:30
Thats still a very low reading and ideally you should be looking for something in the high 80's or 90's. first thing i would do is to check all fixtures and fittings.

F-plugs ( the metal part on the end of the coax that screws onto the receivers tuner input ). Make sure these are tight and there are no loose braids touching the F-plug causing a short. also check the F-plug on the other end of the coax ( the one that screws into the LNB on the end of the dish. ).

Check the coax making sure it is in over all good condition with no rips or tears along it's length. if possible remove the F-plugs and check that the copper core of the Coax is not corroded ( green ), if there is corrosion near the F-plug's remove a few inches of coax and re-attach the F-plugs. if you find any tears or rips in the Coax replace all of it.

check the LNB ( the white or black thing at the end of the arm on the dish where your coax attaches ) i'm not meaning to sound condescending but simple terms for us such as LNB could confuse a otherwise novice user. check to see there are no cracks, splits or holes where water or creepy crawlies could be hiding. if you find any of the above replace the whole LNB.

and last but not least if all of the above are up to par, check the physical alignment of the dish it self, making sure that once it's aligned all the necessary screws or bolts are not loose etc.

I can do that but does the fact I get a green screen that pops up code then resets the box when I choose a FTA HD channel point to a software problem as well?

Larry-G
22-09-12, 14:33
I can do that but does the fact I get a green screen that pops up code then resets the box when I choose a FTA HD channel point to a software problem as well?

possibly but we can cross that bridge once we and you know that your dish is in sufficient condition and aligned properly. one step at a time.

Ste2011
22-09-12, 14:39
possibly but we can cross that bridge once we and you know that your dish is in sufficient condition and aligned properly. one step at a time.

So 80% plus is the signal I need to be getting?

Larry-G
22-09-12, 14:43
So 80% plus is the signal I need to be getting?

The higher the better, you can happily operate at a lower level but if the dish and coax etc are in good condition and you have no obstructions in the dish's view of the satellite, there should be nothing stopping you from getting a signal level of 90% plus.

Ste2011
22-09-12, 14:52
The higher the better, you can happily operate at a lower level but if the dish and coax etc are in good condition and you have no obstructions in the dish's view of the satellite, there should be nothing stopping you from getting a signal level of 90% plus.

Thanks.
I'll check everything. Worth buying a signal booster?

Larry-G
22-09-12, 14:54
Thanks.
I'll check everything. Worth buying a signal booster?

no as signal boosters tend to introduce more noise effectively making the signal worse. if your dish, coax and fittings are in good order and the dish is pointing where it's supposed to without obstructions in it's path there is no need for a signal booster in the UK for sky uk ( 28.2 east ).

basilyoung
22-09-12, 15:06
good to see you are getting some where now Ste2011

Ste2011
22-09-12, 15:12
good to see you are getting some where now Ste2011

Thanks!

It is a learning curve though!

Larry-G
22-09-12, 15:20
Thanks!

It is a learning curve though!

That it is, but stick with us and we will get you there. out of curiosity when was the last time you used this dish / coax setup with a receiver other than the Uno ?.

Ste2011
23-09-12, 08:20
That it is, but stick with us and we will get you there. out of curiosity when was the last time you used this dish / coax setup with a receiver other than the Uno ?.

It must have been a good few years.
I've cleaned everything up and reconnected everything and signal has gone up to around 75%.
One thing I've realised is that the dish was installed in the winter and I have a tree in the front garden that when is full of leaves could be blocking some of the signal.

I'm going to arrange for somebody to move the dish higher up the house. I think the Sky engineer must have been a bit lazy with the original installation.

Larry-G
23-09-12, 08:31
if i remember correctly you said you were using the blackhole image correct ?. so with this new found improvement in signal strength is the box still crashing when you try to view a HD channel ?.

Ste2011
23-09-12, 08:32
if i remember correctly you said you were using the blackhole image correct ?. so with this new found improvement in signal strength is the box still crashing when you try to view a HD channel ?.

Yes, it bombs out to a green screen and creates an error log when it crashes.

Larry-G
23-09-12, 08:35
In that case you may need to re-flash the image as it may have become corrupted ( sorry i am not overly familiar with the BH images so may not be of much help from here on in ), which exact version are you using ?.

Ste2011
23-09-12, 08:36
In that case you may need to re-flash the image as it may have become corrupted, which exact version are you using ?.

Blackhole 1.7.7.
To be honest reflashing the image is my biggest nightmare.
I wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Larry-G
23-09-12, 08:38
Blackhole 1.7.7.
To be honest reflashing the image is my biggest nightmare.
I wouldn't have a clue where to start.

The flashing process is the easy part, it's setting the box backup up afterwards that can be a little daunting for the "newbie" ( no disrespect intended ).

Ste2011
23-09-12, 08:41
The flashing process is the easy part, it's setting the box backup up afterwards that can be a little daunting for the "newbie" ( no disrespect intended ).

I'd have to download the channels again to start with.
Would you recommend any particular image?
Is it done through a USB stick?

Larry-G
23-09-12, 08:49
now that you have a reasonably decent signal level you should have no further need to scan the satellite, you can use one of the many premade bouquet packs ( channel lists ) from our Enigma 2 bouquet section.

as for the image yes you flash it via a USB stick.

now recommending a image is a tough one as every one has their own tastes and likes / dislikes. This being a ViX forum though we would naturally recommend ViX. I would say put the ViX image on the receiver, once set up make a full set of backups and try a few other images to see which one fits best for your needs, if you choose to return to ViX just re-flash the backup you made and thats it, job done.

BEFORE you do flash another image to the receiver though i would advise that you make a full backup of your setup as it is now, just to be safe ( sorry i cant help you with instructions as to how as like i said i am not overly familiar with the BH image and it's menu structure ).

Ste2011
23-09-12, 08:54
now that you have a reasonably decent signal level you should have no further need to scan the satellite, you can use one of the many premade bouquet packs ( channel lists ) from our Enigma 2 bouquet section.

as for the image yes you flash it via a USB stick.

now recommending a image is a tough one as every one has their own tastes and likes / dislikes. This being a ViX forum though we would naturally recommend ViX. I would say put the ViX image on the receiver, once set up make a full set of backups and try a few other images to see which one fits best for your needs, if you choose to return to ViX just re-flash the backup you made and thats it, job done.

BEFORE you do flash another image to the receiver though i would advise that you make a full backup of your setup as it is now, just to be safe ( sorry i cant help you with instructions as to how as like i said i am not overly familiar with the BH image and it's menu structure ).

I take it the error logs will not reveal anything useful then?
I'm open about which image as l don't intend to do much more with the box when I have it up and running other than add a hard drive so I can record programs.

One thing I was wondering is the EPG only seems to show what is on a channel once you've viewed it, is that how it works?

Larry-G
23-09-12, 08:57
The might but there logs from the BH image so if we did find any faults we would not be able to do any thing about it, only the BH team can really do that. it would do no harm to upload them though.

Ste2011
23-09-12, 09:08
The might but there logs from the BH image so if we did find any faults we would not be able to do any thing about it, only the BH team can really do that. it would do no harm to upload them though.

Could you point me in the direction of a VIX image then and a tutorial for what I need to do?
I'll have to decide when to do it as I've had the box for nearly two weeks now and have yet to watch anything on it so it would be nice to watch a program or two first!

Thanks for your help.

loochy
23-09-12, 09:15
click on vix support centre at top of page

Larry-G
23-09-12, 09:23
as pointed out above you can get the image here

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?20214-New-ViX-Team-VU-Uno-OE3-0-Release

Format a USB stick to FAT32.
download the image and extract it with winrar etc.
copy the folder vuplus from the archive including all it's contents directly to the formatted USB stick.

power off the receiver from the rear power switch.
place the USB stick into one of the USB ports
power on the receiver pressing the ( - ) button on receiver when asked ( i think it's - off the top of my head but it will tell you on the Display which button to press).

if all goes well you will see the progress of the flash on the display, and once done it will tell you to remove the stick and reboot. if you dont get this message it may be either that the stick is not being recognized or that you did not press the button in time.

Larry-G
23-09-12, 09:25
p.s you can leave the image on the stick in the receiver for future use as unlike the Duo it wont reflash the receiver by accident when booted up unless you press the (-) button when prompted.

Ste2011
23-09-12, 09:32
p.s you can leave the image on the stick in the receiver for future use as unlike the Duo it wont reflash the receiver by accident when booted up unless you press the (-) button when prompted.

This may be asking how long is a piece of string but will this take under an hour to do?

Larry-G
23-09-12, 10:26
The flashing process takes around 3 to 4 minutes if that, then to setup the receiver again will take any where from 5 minutes to half a hour depending on how familiar you are with setting things up.

Stanman
23-09-12, 15:39
Once flashed, you will lose all your settings etc, so before you flash connect using filezilla and copy the cam cfg file and autotimers you may have. there in /etc and /etc/enigima2

Ste2011
07-10-12, 13:43
I'm getting on great with this now and have a great picture in SD and HD.

I think I've got carried away though by buying a 2Tb 3.5 inch SATA drive.
The drive is too thick to allow the metal cradle to be screwed down.

Should I buy a dock and use it externally?

Larry-G
07-10-12, 13:50
I'm getting on great with this now and have a great picture in SD and HD.

I think I've got carried away though by buying a 2Tb 3.5 inch SATA drive.
The drive is too thick to allow the metal cradle to be screwed down.

Should I buy a dock and use it externally?

How are you mounting the HDD ?

you do know the drive sits ON TOP of the cradle and just screws into it from underneath ?.

Ste2011
07-10-12, 13:52
How are you mounting the HDD ?

you do know the drive sits ON TOP of the cradle and just screws into it from underneath ?.

Oops!
I had assumed it went underneath.
I will take another look then.

The drive is chunky though.

Larry-G
07-10-12, 13:55
Oops!
I had assumed it went underneath.
I will take another look then.

A easy enough mistake to make.

The drive is chunky though.

dont worry about that, it will fit without any problems.

Although i use a 2.5" drive in the Uno i do use a 3.5" drive in my Ultimo which uses the exact same cradle.

Ste2011
07-10-12, 16:09
A easy enough mistake to make.

dont worry about that, it will fit without any problems.

Although i use a 2.5" drive in the Uno i do use a 3.5" drive in my Ultimo which uses the exact same cradle.

It did, thanks.

I seem to be getting there 'slowly'

I have a couple of things left that I'd like to do now.
I have never seen the EPG working as I'd like and have read that the EPG.DAT file is best stored on the HDD.

I also would like to make use of picons.

Can anybody recommend a up to date file for 28.2?
I have raed that these are best stored on the flash memory, is that the case?

As ever thanks for all the help.

Larry-G
07-10-12, 16:12
picon wise, the best ones seem to be the MMC media ones or i prefer the plain SGTFlipFlop picons my self.

Ste2011
07-10-12, 16:16
picon wise, the best ones seem to be the MMC media ones or i prefer the plain SGTFlipFlop picons my self.

Best way to get hold of the SGTFlipFlop ones?

Larry-G
07-10-12, 16:23
Best way to get hold of the SGTFlipFlop ones?

From here.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?2638-SGTFlipFlop-sky-uk-28-2-picons

Extract the archive, then FTP the PICON folder to the root of your chosen media ( Flash or USB preferably ) Dont use the HDD for picons as it will slow the box down due to needing to spin up the drive at every channel change. I also use the SGTFlipFlop E2 bouquets in conjunction with the ViX modified Autobouquets from the feeds.

Ste2011
07-10-12, 16:25
From here.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?2638-SGTFlipFlop-sky-uk-28-2-picons

Extract the archive, then FTP the PICON folder to the root of your chosen media ( Flash or USB preferably ) Dont use the HDD for picons as it will slow the box down due to needing to spin up the drive at every channel change. I also use the SGTFlipFlop E2 bouquets in conjunction with the ViX modified Autobouquets from the feeds.

Brilliant.
Thank you.

Ste2011
13-10-12, 08:14
Again a big thank you to everyone that helped me in this thread.

I have a box that is working great, an EPG that updates everyday, picons that show when I change channel and a hard drive installed that I've started to record onto!

Larry-G
13-10-12, 08:50
well now that your setup, i would recommend making a full set of backups, just incase.

Ste2011
13-10-12, 08:51
One final question ...

I have a dnla compliant TV and blu ray upstairs on the same network.
Can I view things I've recorded on the Vu through them?

Stanman
13-10-12, 14:36
In the network menu there is mini dlna, you might want to set it up and see if it works for you.

Rob van der Does
13-10-12, 14:57
Come on guys, what's the relation with 'Vu+ Uno not finding any channels'?This thread is now completely unreadable.